cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New jacks?

cassieaaron
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my 2015 Avenger 26rb. I love it but have noticed and issue with the stabilizer jacks. They appear to be cheap and flimsy. The camper shakes and moves because the jacks flex and loose. My camping buddy also has brand new rv ( different brand) his do the same thing. So do we just upgrade to better quality jacks and if so which brand?
9 REPLIES 9

cassieaaron
Explorer
Explorer
Wheel wells are checked. I have had 3 rvs none of which where this new. Most from the 70's. I used the portable stands and they worked better than these. Every time my 6 year old rolls over in the rear bunk it shakes the entire camper. I agree I could settle for far less quality than what was made 40 years ago and that would make me typical like everyone else but I'm not into that. I paid 20k and I just cant settle for lack of quality. I purchased some real jacks online (Reese) brand I'll post their results. My new issue is now all the grey and black water lights showbtanks are full but I'm hooked to full hookups is this just poor quality as well and I should just settle for gages that don't work either?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
cassieaaron wrote:
I just got my 2015 Avenger 26rb. I love it but have noticed and issue with the stabilizer jacks. They appear to be cheap and flimsy. The camper shakes and moves because the jacks flex...

Did you chock your tires well?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I added four more jacks to mine and one stabilizer arm at the stairs. Now the TT sits on 6 scissor jacks, 3 a-arm stabilizers, the four tires, and the tongue jack. I brace one set of tires with a home-made X-chock

My trailer barely moves.

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your question and I did upgrade to higher rated jacks. Forget just what weight rating but they were noticeably more study. The result was somewhat noticeable but not overwhelming. Would I do it again given what i know now, probably would. Had wiped off the two rear jacks when driving through a dip in the road so at that time upgraded to the heavier jacks along with the Jack Savers on the rear.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider installing stabilizer struts like the BAL lock arm ones in the photo. These things help A LOT. Installed these on our electric stabilizer jacks and the improvement is amazing.

Movement is a common issue with scissor jacks or electric stabilizer jacks.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the scissor jacks I have had have been BAL brand and they have worked fine for me. Set them tight when you first set up and then check them again as they may have settled and you may need to tighten them some. You may want to put lynx blocks or a piece of wood under the foot for better contact with the ground. You may also want to consider getting BAL X-chocks to fit between your wheels as these will also eliminate some movement. I hope this helps.
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I think your expectations are too high. There is no foundation under your RV. You have a frame setting on 4 wheels with jacks in the 4 corners to firm it up a bit. It is never going to stop moving and twitching as you walk across the floor. You can spend lots of money making incremental improvements, or you can accept that it a temporary shelter with a bathroom. It's your money. By your own observation you see that everybody has about the same thing, what do you think they are doing - accepting?

cassieaaron
Explorer
Explorer
I have them extended 4-6 inches. I looked the jacks over they are cheap. I can literally flex the foot and the top by hand. All the joints where they scissor flex badly. I looked at several rv where I'm camping it appears they are almost all like this. ****py made. I am firmly sure its these factory jacks. I am just curious to what brand are better replacements. These don't even have a mfg name stamped on them

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
How steady is steady? The jacks are meant to stabilize the TT bounce, but they do nothing for frame flex.

They hold the four corners but there is a lot of span between them and the suspension springs.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.