cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new mattress needed, any reason to buy from camping world?

RetroAirBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything special about the mattresses in an RV?

Can i just buy one from a mattress store?
26 REPLIES 26

Mattress in our Tango was a short queen.

There was plenty of room behind it, so I removed the hinged plywood lift up panel at the back of the bed that accessed the under bed storage and replaced it with a bigger piece.
Then we just put a standard residential queen in there. Worked like a charm.

Our std queen is a pillow top, and a lot heavier than that cheezy piece of stuff it came with, so I had to put in heavier cylinders to hold the storage access open with the mattress on it. Had to change the angle of the cylinders too.

There are a zillion choices for a std queen, and they are usually cheaper than a short queen for RV's

CW will charge you twice the price for half the product.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Unless CW is the only place to find what you need.... I would try to buy elsewhere. Superior mattresses are available in many places. RV sizes can vary a bit from standard so make sure you know what you are getting. Thickness can also be an issue especially for bunks. Easy to get quality foam mattress custom sized for what you want/need. Spring mattresses could add significant weight if that matters. You can get custom sheets also.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Zinus brand innerspring and foam mattress from Amazon. $220. Very comfy.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Some mattress sellers will order custom sizes.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

RetroAirBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Super helpful. So people have been happy with Bed in a Box?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I upgraded, I found that Phoenix had a matress factory. They custom make innerspring ones.
They will make any dimension you want, any spring style, thickness, pillowtop etc.
Price for one comparable to a single was 220.00.
13"thick pillow top. Far lighter than the foam ones. So comfy it is now in my new momentum.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We measured ours and it was a standard Queen, went shopping at a mattress store and got a great mattress for a reasonable price.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure the size of the platform exactly and check with bed in a box.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Measure!!! Many are standard with rounded corners. Purchase a mattress in a box. We went from a King to a Queen had to cut part of the width off the plywood. This gave us more room to walk around the bed.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO! If you like memory foam, they are FANTASTIC for campers. You can easily trim them to size if you need to. RV mattresses tend to be very flimsy and uncomfortable, no matter how expensive they are.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decide what mattress and model you want then shop for price. Give CW a shot but itโ€™s price that matters.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Measure it, many RV mattresses are shorter. You will rarely find the best deal at Camping World, search online for what you need.