cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to the site

ducky8888
Explorer
Explorer
Having camped off and on since I was a child, I learned very early that tent camping is not for me! A few years ago, my then girlfriend decided we were all going camping. Me and my 2 kids, her and her 4 kids, and my 2 dogs. I ended up finding a decent priced coleman pop-up and put it behind her chrysler mini-van, and I figured out what a horrible mistake it is to haul that much weight through the mountainous back-roads of California.

Fast forward 3 years, I have since broken up with her (sold the trailer for more than what I bought it for), and for a few reasons have begun camping very regularly. From camping in Humboldt for a marathon and local hiking to quads at Sand Mountain in NV, to relaxing by the lake at Bowman or Lyndsey lake. Each of these trips reinforced my hatred of tent camping. I had tent poles break, air mattresses leak, a river of rain water through my tent (right where my clothes were stored). Every trip was riddled with issues and discomfort.

My situation now is this: I am wanting to go out to these places, but I dont want an RV, and a trailer would work, but that limits me to bed storage for motorsports etc. I could get a toy hauler, but thats extreme for my needs and isnt nimble enough to get to some of the camp sites we will be frequenting.

I decided the best solution for me is a new truck (I went with a low mileage 08 Tundra 4x4 double cab trd), a cabover camper (I found a nice '99 Lance 945), and a standard 16ft flatbed trailer to haul my toys when I want them.

I did a lot of research prior to making my purchases so I knew what I was in for when making each purchase, and adjusted my buying accordingly. I bought the truck first, it needed a few mods and repairs to make it camper ready. I went with the torklift tie downs as i wanted to be able to "hide" it when the camper wasnt in the truck. At the same time, I ordered an airbag kit, my only wish was that I had installed them BEFORE buying the camper. Other repairs are minor, such as removing the broken antenna stud and replacing the antenna, a little bit of paint work to make it look better (PO used some crappy blue rattle can paint to try to cover some scratches).

Once I got the tie-downs installed in the truck (PITA!!! had to cut and shave then a bit to get then to fit) I went looking at campers. I found a local guy asking $5000 for this one, and evidently had so many tire-kickers and people who had no clue about these that he was willing to come down to $4000. It doesnt have some features like AC or 110v but that was fine with me. Upon making a deal I ran into the first couple issues. Number one was camper depth versus bed depth... Luckily the RV storage where it was at was in an industrial park and I was able to find a couple pallets to get it loaded. Once it was in the bed I discovered the running lights werent working. Yesterday I discovered that the Tundra has fuses and relays for all of the trailer lights and one of the fuses was blown, phew, easy fix!

I have spent this morning searching, researching, shopping, and buying to fix a few of the concerns I have about the setup and to get fully prepared for an upcoming camping trip.

Cordless drill and jack attachment bit. I have been needing a good cordless drill, this gave me a great excuse to buy one. I have loaded the camper into my truck and unloaded, and this is going to be a must have for me.

I ordered an 18" hitch extension, which should put the hitch (and the steps when installed) right where it needs to be.

The camper was converted to a 7-way trailer connector and the PO included an extension in with the purchase, but this presents an issue because my trailer uses a 7-way as well. I looked around and for ~$180 I could buy a splitter/extender, but I was still presented with the issue of my trailer being 18" further back. My solution is this: I have ordered a 24" 7-way extension, I am cutting the male end off and then splicing this new piece into the camper extender. I also purchased a mount so I can permanently attach the 24" extension to the hitch extender. My plan is to be able to hide everything under the camper when in storage, and when I pull under the camper, I just have to attache the 7-way to my truck, put the hitch extender in, and I am ready to go. My idea it to add some kind of bracket underneath to support the hitch extender. I have thought of ways to get around this, but since I need the hitch extender to use the steps, it makes sense to me to always have it with the camper. I know there are other step solutions, but a large majority of the time I will be using the camper, I will also be hauling the trailer.

I ordered a voltage monitor (comes with a 12v power port and a USB charger port). I am planning to mount this in the kitchen area. I was worried about this being constantly on, even though the draw is very minimal, so I found one with a power switch. Along with this upgrade I decided to convert everything to LED.

I am considering either adding a battery (in the compartment where I have seen generators installed, back lower right corner) in addition to the battery already in the camper, and replacing the existing battery with a deep cycle, or removing the current battery entirely and go with a couple 6v golf cart batteries. Either way I go, I am going to be adding solar panels. I have not decided on how to go about this yet, whether permanently mounting them on the roof is a good idea, or doing something like the flexible mat ones that I can roll up and store during travel.

So, thats what I have planned for the next 2 weeks before my next camping trip. Any tips or ideas are more than welcome.
52 REPLIES 52

realter
Explorer
Explorer
ducky8888 wrote:
I ended up finding a decent priced coleman pop-up and put it behind her chrysler mini-van, and I figured out what a horrible mistake it is to haul that much weight through the mountainous back-roads of Californiahave

I

So, thats what I have planned for the next 2 weeks before my next camping trip. Any tips or ideas are more than welcome.

Before you spend any more on mods or other items, you need to either get the proper truck to carry this load, or get a very light weight camper for the Tundra.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I have nothing against the Tundra. Ours carried our 1000 lb Phoenix and performed flawlessly for 11 years. We had zero problems and zero complaints. But when we graduated to a Northern Lite 10-2, we graduated to a dually. We would not have considered putting the Northern Lite on the Tundra. And the Northern Lite weighs less than the Lance 945. And then there's the trailer.

As a mechanical engineer, and having done design for Ford Motor Company, I am not inclined to push a truck very far beyond its design specs.

Nuff said.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Welcome to the Truck Camper Forum.

In the room is an elephant that I cannot ignore.

Because you did some research, perhaps you are aware of how the weight of your camper compares with the payload of the Tundra. If not, I think we on the forum have a responsibility to bring up the subject.

Last time I checked, the payload of a Tundra was about 1500 lbs. The published dry weight of a Lance 945 is around 2800 lbs. Then there are passengers, cargo, water, propane, etc, maybe 500 to 1000 lbs. And then there's the tongue weight of the trailer. Plus, when you weigh your rig, you will probably discover that everything weighs more than you expected.

If you're OK with those numbers, so be it. The decision is yours. But I would feel remiss if I said nothing.

I thought my 72yo eyes were deceiving me when I saw that you were carrying a Lance on a Tundra! Guess not.
Wow!
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Truck Camper Forum.

In the room is an elephant that I cannot ignore.

Because you did some research, perhaps you are aware of how the weight of your camper compares with the payload of the Tundra. If not, I think we on the forum have a responsibility to bring up the subject.

Last time I checked, the payload of a Tundra was about 1500 lbs. The published dry weight of a Lance 945 is around 2800 lbs. Then there are passengers, cargo, water, propane, etc, maybe 500 to 1000 lbs. And then there's the tongue weight of the trailer. Plus, when you weigh your rig, you will probably discover that everything weighs more than you expected.

If you're OK with those numbers, so be it. The decision is yours. But I would feel remiss if I said nothing.

ducky8888
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a couple banshees, looking to possibly add an LTR450 and an 80 or 90cc. Weight on the trailer will depend on who is going with me on that particular weekend. Tongue weight will be pretty low for the most part.

As for upgrade weight, I am looking to try and stay as reduced down as possible. I am ditching things that I wont use, like the microwave and 110v copper.

As for the tires, I will be looking to get some with better load capacity as the ones on there are nothing to write home about, if I remember right they are Nitto Grappler, cant remember the size, but the guy I bought the truck from put on oversized tires with aftermarket wheels. They arent in need of replacement yet, but when they are I will be buying specifically for a loaded truck, even if it means replacing the wheels

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
What are you putting on the trailer? I saw quads, so I'm curious as we ride. I'm not the weight police but watch your tire capacities. I was shocked how much I was carrying look at my numbers in my scaled weight thread....it got scary enough to adjust my upgrades. I also vote 6 volts if you dry camp a lot.

Welcome to the site.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Welcome. You have a nice rig. I am jealous. Regarding your batteries I use twin group 27 deep cycles from costco and can dry camp three nights watching a movie at night. I carry Honda EU 1000 &smart charger for fourth night charge. Takes about four hours. Enjhoy the new rig. Sounds perfect
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like you should have come here and asked questions before you did all that research. Good luck with the fixing ... hope you find everything you need and eventually change your feelings about camping.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic