cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer first oops

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later!OOPS!
42 REPLIES 42

m4reel
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who thought he had enough height to clear a log with his bumper while backing up solo. He had enough room for the bumper... but not for the gray water waste line. Cost him $500 in repairs for the pipe and crushed propane fitting. I hear he had to make up a crazy story about wild animal gangs, vandalizing the trailer in the middle of the night or something, to explain to the DW how it possibly could have happened.
2013 Komfort Trailblazer
2009 F350 CCLB 6.4 Powerstroke 4x4

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who was pulling his 8' wide TT through his 9' wide gate opening. Got a little too close on the street side, and broke the top of a slat off the fence. Fortunately, the only damage to the TT was a small scuff mark on the rear corner trim. I hear that it hurt his pride a little. ๐Ÿ™‚

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
First time parking the new TT and the only 1 month old TV - bumped the front bumper of the TV on my tractor by the barn because I was so busy concentrating on the TT behind me. Big Chrome bumper with one little fish-eye dimple prominently displayed...oh well.....

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is possible to "customize" the decals on the front of your TT if you lean an extension ladder against it while trying to wash/polish it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4Bob wrote:
...Several years towing and as I was pulling out of a gas station I see car coming down the street like the Police was chasing. The driver then proceeds to turn into the station aiming right at me.

I whip the steering wheel to the right and he does also and we miss.

However, the back of the TT went more to left then I had planned, nailing the steel post full of concrete putting a nice 12 inch long dent in the side of the TT.

Bob

Yea, that sounds good, I would stick with that story. It was THAT MANIACS FAULT!
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a guy cave in the rear quarter of a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee that was parked parallel to the access road. The guy was trying to cut into his parking spot and forgot to allow for tail wag on the trailer.

A piece of corner trim and the aluminum around the rear bumper were my-I mean his-only casualties on the camper. JGCherokee wasn't so lucky.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy that hit a guardrail pulling into a gas station in Erie, PA putting a long crease down the entire curb side of the trailer. It cost him $1200. Don't ask who it was.....
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
One day I decided to 'engrave' a little line in the striping with the corner of the eavestrough of the garage.....hhhmmmm
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I was parking the TT in the back yard of my city-lot home, and wanted to swing as wide as possible in order to make it into the yard at the best angle. Got just a leeeeetle too close to the dang utility pole in the alley, and crunched the front right corner of the TT. Amazing how fragile they are. Cost over $1K to get fixed, as I determined that it was beyond my personal skill level to repair.
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

4x4Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Stuff can/will happen. Either now or later.

Several years towing and as I was pulling out of a gas station I see car coming down the street like the Police was chasing. The driver then proceeds to turn into the station aiming right at me.

I whip the steering wheel to the right and he does also and we miss.

However, the back of the TT went more to left then I had planned, nailing the steel post full of concrete putting a nice 12 inch long dent in the side of the TT.

Bob
2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I see some trailers in the neighborhood that never move. I would rather have some OOPS! and at least I know I am having some fun in the process.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
I knew a guy who once poked a hole in the awning of his new trailer by hitting the roof of his house when pulling out for a camping trip. Please don't ask me his name.

Funny I know the same guy...:)
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My cousin drove off with the tailgate up! He said (*%^$@)_)&${OUU.!!! and a few other words I had never heard. I was going down this hill minding my own business and a wheel and tire passed me on the left. Some guy flagged me down and tried to say it was mine but I told him I only run 3. Sheared off all 6 bolts. Even if it's 80 degrees in NY you sweat trying to replace lug bolts by driving them out and then new ones back in. Probably saved $300.00 tho.

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Not the trailer, but the right front fender of the truck. Nice deep gouge in it where it hit the mailbox on the other side of the road while backing the trailer into our drive. Trying to get out of the way of people waiting ... not taking enough time to do it right.
Told all my buddies the someone must have hit me in a parking lot .... darn careless people! :W
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago when new to this deal...I pulled out of my driveway with the tailgate down.
When I turned out the drive I heard a terrible crunching sound...
Destroyed tailgate and bent tounge jack.
TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE....
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS