Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie weight question

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all-

I'm considering buying a travel trailer, and we think we've found one we like. It's the Heartland Trail Runner 29MSB. We've looked at a bunch, and it's got the floorplan and options we're after, more so than any other we've found. So, that brings me to my problem...

Our tow vehicle is my wife's 2010 Yukon XL. From what I think I've figured out, it's got the 5.3 engine, and a 3.08 ratio.

The trailer says:

dry weight: 6998
hitch weight: 664
GVWR: 9000

I've looked around a lot, and seem to find conflicting information about the trucks capacity for towing. So, my question to all you knowledgeable folks is: Can this vehicle tow this trailer, or do I need to rethink my shopping?

Thanks for any input you've got for me.

-Eric
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
14 REPLIES 14

Shawn-TX
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
What it can pull is not as important as what it can carry - which will be exceeded before you get to the inflated tow capacity which was determined with a flat trailer with weights on it, not a high walled TT. Think Payload over tow capacity and check the doorjamb sticker as suggested.

I agree. We had a difficult time finding a TV with enough payload for the TT, cargo and family.
2008 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 4x4
2010 Keystone Cougar 30BHS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What it can pull is not as important as what it can carry - which will be exceeded before you get to the inflated tow capacity which was determined with a flat trailer with weights on it, not a high walled TT. Think Payload over tow capacity and check the doorjamb sticker as suggested.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Tell your wife to move up to a Super Duty 🙂
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While you can pull a lot, you can only put so much weight on the TV suspension. This is your payload or max cargo rating.

Add up the weight of your family, camp gear, and other stuff you will have in the TV and what is left is the tongue weight you can add.

Typically this is the limiting factor.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Too long a trailer for too short wheelbase TV

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
No, either a much smaller trailer or a much bigger vehicle. "Re-think"
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
From page 5-52 of the 2010 Yukon Owners Manual the tow ratings for your year SUV are about:

3.08 axle: 5000 pounds
3.42 axle: 5400 pounds
3.42 axle with HD trailering package: 7900 pounds

As far as I know GM never offered the 3.08 axle with the HD trailering package on the 2009+ SUVs.

To confirm your equipment, there is a sticker in the glove box with a list of 3-character RPO codes. You will have one of GU4 or GU6 for 3.08 or 3.42 axle. You will have Z82 for HD trailering package or not have it listed at all

I highly recommend adding a large capacity transmission cooler for towing any high walled RV if you do not have the HD towing package. At 5k-ish tow rating, you'll want to stay closer to 4000 pounds from a manufacturer's dry weight rating. RVers add stuff, lots of it. Bikes, chairs, tents, toys, games, food, cookware, utensils, clothing, etc.

If you have the equipment for 8000-ish pounds, then 7000 pounds seems like the high end limit. However, you may be limited by the 1000 pound receiver limit or your vehicle's payload. If you have 1400 pounds available and the family weighs about 500, then you only have 900 left for trailer tongue weight.

Performance wise even the 3.08 shouldn't be that bad. It is very similar to the older 4-spds and 4.10 axles which few people complained about for 7000 pounds. You'll have 4 usable towing gears.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like way too much trailer for that tow vehicle to me. Try it and you will be back on here in a few weeks asking about suspension improvements, better tires, and magic hitches that will help your situation.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a much smaller trailer with a Tahoe. It didn't really like the 5000 lb. trailer or the 600 lb. hitch too much. The XL can do a better job but not so sure it will be comfortable. Hitch weight is definitely an issue and the 3.08 doesn't help things. I'd look for lighter TT or different tow vehicle especially if you plan on do any distance.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

OhioRVMom
Explorer
Explorer
looking online at the max tow rating for that year/model:
Yukon XL 1500 2WD 8,100
Yukon XL 1500 4WD 8,000
Yukon XL 2500 2WD 9,600
Yukon XL 2500 4WD 9,400

so depending on which one you have, these are the max tow limits for that vehicle.

Next - payload, This really should be pulled from the sticker inside your vehicle. the yellow one that says something like "The total weight of cargo, people, etc in this vehicle should not exceed xxx lbs"

couldn't find the payload info on line for that make/model year.. but just based on the tow capacity, I'd guess you're trailer is too big for the vehicle..

unless you have the 2500 version - then you might be ok - with tow limit weights at least. But with Cargo - that's the big question. if you don't have the payload requirements you won't be able to tow it..

Good Luck!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...You are doing the right thing by researching BEFORE you buy.

The trailer you are considering is a bunk house model. That probably means kids and that means even more weight with them and their gear (and the family dog).

Quick assessment: Once loaded trip ready I think that you are asking an awful lot from your tow vehicle...Not enough payload, wrong gearing for towing, probably P rated tires...to name a few.

Hopefully others will give you a more positive response...Don't necessarily trust the dealer telling you, "Sure, no problem."

Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
NO

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Check your owners manual.
It will be in the glove box.
Look in the index under towing.
Go to that page and read what it says.
Then you will know.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You need to look at the yellow tire/payload sticker on the driver's door sill. It will show a #, for total payload.

You will have close to 1,000 lbs. hitch weight, when loaded, including the WDH. I am thinking the TV may not have the complete towing package, due to it just having the 3.08 gearing.

More info is needed, but looks to be a lot for that tow vehicle.

Jerry