cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie: Which TT to buy? Need advice on purchase!

bumpdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here to this message board and need some advice. I'm upgrading from a Coachmen Apex 15RBX hybrid TT. I have narrowed my choices down to the following TT's:

• Sunset Trail ST240BH
  • Kodiak 240BHSL
  • Fun Finder F-242BDS

All are similar floorplans. Some observations:

• The Kodiak does not have an outdoor kitchen, the others do
  • I'm receiving quotes for the Kodiak and the Sunset Trail of $19,999. I do not have a quote yet for the Fun Finder
  • The Kodiak has the best looking and most contemporary interior
  • The construction on the Fun Finder seems to be of a lesser quality? Not sure but I noticed wood framing in the storage areas while the others had aluminium
  • The dinette seems smaller in the Sunset Trail because of a cabinet they squeezed into the slideout along side of the dinette.

As you can see, there are pros and cons to all three - these are just a few. Any direction or advice on which direction to go would be appreciated. Also any other recommendations I should be considering? Let me know. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

bumpdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Fun Finder F-242BDS. Yes, sight unseen, but went through plenty of similar Fun Finders to get a feel for quality. We got a fair deal so we went for it. Cruiser RV is building it and we take delivery in February. The dealer will store the camper for free until we're ready to go camping. More updates to come!

bobbyblue
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpdaddy, looks like you did much more homework than I did so far. Thanks so much for the +/- list and informing me about the larger tanks on the Fun Finder. A very convenient advantage! You also have much more courage than me by possibly purchasing it sight unseen. I'd have to really look it over first and hoping to catch one at a North East camper show this winter or spring. Some Fun Finder dealers are within a 100 mi radius in the PA/NY areas and I've been sending emails inquiring about the F-242BDS model. Really like to hear how you eventually make out. Best!

bumpdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyblue wrote:
That's funny we are about to upgrade from our High Wall Pop Up and currently looking at the exact same models. Perhaps you also want to keep the unloaded weight around 5K and the length under 30'. Our TV is a 2010 Sequoia with 9600 tow capacity. I'm a bit nervous about overloading and towing too big after only pulling a pop up.

We love the double over the double feature for our two growing kids as well. Out of the three we've seen the Sunset Trail ST240B and just this weekend the Kodiak 240BHSL. My wife didn't like the extra bars on the sunset trail's dinette table which our legs kept hitting amongst a few other minor things. The bed on the Kodiak was too small, as the TV console was flush against it and I'm 6'4". Too bad since the quality seemed very sound

We didn't get to see the Funfinder but the floor plan looks great with the full size queen bed for my comfort and I do like the outside kitchen. Disappointed to hear, however, that the quality is subpar compared to the others. Another TT that has caught our eye is the Prime Time Tracer 250 AIR. No outside kitchen but it does have 2 doors and one that enters the bathroom for easy outside access. Would like to get to see it and the Funfinder as well. Looking to purchase by the spring. Will be curious to know what you finally decide and anything else that went into your decision. Good Luck

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm upgrading from a Coachmen Apex 15RBX (Hybrid TT). Parameters are the same: Lighter camper with a slide, bunkhouse, under 30', lighter hitch weight. Our tow vehicle is a 2007 Land Rover LR3 with a 7,800lb towing capacity.

We thought the Kodiak had the best looking interior, but we noticed the same shortfalls you did. I'm 6'2" and the bed is too short, plus the wall to the entertainment center is bumped up right against the bed. I didn't fit. And why not make the entertainment center with the flip around TV? Every other manufacturer is. That's a big oversight.

That left the Fun Finder F-242BDS and the Sunset Trail ST240BH. We created a pro/con list and after reviewing that we are now leaning towards the Fun Finder. One thing that really stood out to me when compared with the Sunset was the holding tanks. Only 26 gallons for black and gray and a 40 gallon fresh tank? My 15' Apex has a 25/25/25 set up and that's barely enough to get through the weekend when dry camping. The Fun Finder has 38 gallon tanks for black and gray and a 36 gallon fresh tank - impossible to overflow. That makes sense to me.

The rest of the pro/con list went like this: Fun Finder Pros: The bathroom has a linen closet, has hard doors to the front bedroom, front cap, extra window in the slide, slam latch storage doors, rain sensing vents, reading lights in bedroom, top cabinets in bedroom, unit is lighter dry weight. Fun Finder Cons: Noticed wood studs in under bed storage bay for framing instead of aluminium. Build quality may be questionable, but many owners rave about them. TV, grill and larger A/C unit is extra cost option.

Sunset Pros: Slightly less expensive than the Fun Finder. 32' TV, Grill, slightly larger fridge, 15K BTU A/C all included as standard. Painted/colored ceiling. Better TV antenna. Shower Door is cool. Cons: Interior not as nice as FF, smaller bathroom, loss of window for storage closet in slide out, unreasonably smaller holding tanks.

We haven't seen this particular model of Fun Finder, but have toured through similar models and the 2014's I saw looked pretty solid. Our local dealer is telling me it is going to take 2-3 months to build it and get it here, which is fine with us since I don't plan on camping until the spring. I'm working with two different local dealers to try to put together a deal.

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Hey looks like some good trailers to choose from. We ended up buying the Kodiak 276 bh. We love it. We walked in dozens and dozens of different trailers. I to was mesmerized with the outdoor kitchen and was convinced that I to would one day have one. But what I realized the more I looked at them the more I was not as impressed by them. Stoves and bbq are pretty weak and most of the sinks seemed odd. Some just drained into a bucket or a catch basin. Ours has a bbq off the bumper and a outdoor refrigerator and a tv mount. We use the frig quite a bit and used the bbq a few times but I've bought a Webber Q and put the one that came with the unit in the garage. . Regarding the quality of the kodiak Ive have been pleased with it so far. We have had over 25 nights spent in the trailer this season alone. As far as the AC goes I have no idea how well it works in comparison with other units because we are almost always boondocking and I only have a Honda 2000 genny. We have put a ton of miles on it including dirt roads and have had no problems. Yet....... the one thing that was a bit annoying at first was how loud the suspension (springs) were. I have sense greased and is no longer a problem. Over all very happy with the build quality and functionality of the Kodiak. Our favorite part is the double slide... making the kit/dinn/family area huge and was the biggest we found. Hope this helps and good luck with things.
Bcsslc

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Also may want to consider which units have awnings which cover the cooking area!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

bobbyblue
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny we are about to upgrade from our High Wall Pop Up and currently looking at the exact same models. Perhaps you also want to keep the unloaded weight around 5K and the length under 30'. Our TV is a 2010 Sequoia with 9600 tow capacity. I'm a bit nervous about overloading and towing too big after only pulling a pop up.

We love the double over the double feature for our two growing kids as well. Out of the three we've seen the Sunset Trail ST240B and just this weekend the Kodiak 240BHSL. My wife didn't like the extra bars on the sunset trail's dinette table which our legs kept hitting amongst a few other minor things. The bed on the Kodiak was too small, as the TV console was flush against it and I'm 6'4". Too bad since the quality seemed very sound

We didn't get to see the Funfinder but the floor plan looks great with the full size queen bed for my comfort and I do like the outside kitchen. Disappointed to hear, however, that the quality is subpar compared to the others. Another TT that has caught our eye is the Prime Time Tracer 250 AIR. No outside kitchen but it does have 2 doors and one that enters the bathroom for easy outside access. Would like to get to see it and the Funfinder as well. Looking to purchase by the spring. Will be curious to know what you finally decide and anything else that went into your decision. Good Luck

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
After having been raised where my Grandmother and Aunts had to take the wood cookstove outside every summer, I'm inclined to not have a kitchen out there.

bumpdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Goldstalker - very good points that I overlooked. Both the Kodiak and the Fun Finder only have 13.5 BTU A/C's and 6 cu ft. refrigerators. We were leaning towards the Sunset so it's good to hear you like yours.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
We have this model Sunset and love it. Keep in mind in come with the larger 15K A/C and larger 8ft fridge standard. Also built in awning lights and BBQ among many other things which are upgrades and options on other lines. Don't know much about the other two.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new camper 2013 Keystone Bullet Premier and it has an outside kitchen. We absolutely love it. It really makes all the difference in the world. I would keep looking for one that you like that has an outside kitchen. My advice - don't settle.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds as if you have already decided
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150