MerkelG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins in a Nissan for 2016. Nissanusa.com/truck
49 REPLIES 49

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazing news and it looks to be an awesome motor. They had a show model at the Tampa SuperShow.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:

You have to wonder what the rear axle rating could be with a 6 lug wheel. Ford has a 7 lug wheel on their heavy half option I believe. I guess if it bares it's weight on the hub and not the studs it could be more than I would think.

In 2015 Ford kept the 4800# rear GAWR for the heavy half, but switched to special 6 lug HD wheels. The 18" alloy HD wheels get you more payload than the 17" steel HD wheels. Same rear GAWR though, IIRC.

Still the Ford's HD rear GAWR is only 4800#. The Nissan/Cummins rear axle looks like it could handle a lot more than that. Have heard of commercial trucks with only 6 lug wheels that can handle a lot of weight. So will just have to wait and see what rGAWR the Nissan/Cummins has.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
Same aisin as in the ram. As69rc, overkill really.

So this thing has a engine and transmission both designed for medium duty commercial truck usage and a 13 inch rear axle. We know that Nissan has suspension and running gear in their parts bin capable of supporting a 10Kish GVWR truck in their NV3500 van. Maybe this thing is really a 2500 series-spec truck, but they are not marketing it as such because it has considerably less hp and torque than the big 3 diesels.

The 13" ring gear is likely a mis-print. A dually Ram 3500 only runs 11.75".

13" is well into 450/4500 territory.

I seen an ad on FB that said "available goose neck hitch" This was on FB so IDK but it was a Nissan page. Maybe someone can look around on there. I can't do it from this computer.

Check out this video. It shows the standard gooseneck hitch equipped on the Titan XD.

You have to wonder what the rear axle rating could be with a 6 lug wheel. Ford has a 7 lug wheel on their heavy half option I believe. I guess if it bares it's weight on the hub and not the studs it could be more than I would think.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
jus2shy wrote:

So this thing has a engine and transmission both designed for medium duty commercial truck usage and a 13 inch rear axle. We know that Nissan has suspension and running gear in their parts bin capable of supporting a 10Kish GVWR truck in their NV3500 van. Maybe this thing is really a 2500 series-spec truck, but they are not marketing it as such because it has considerably less hp and torque than the big 3 diesels.

I seen an ad on FB that said "available goose neck hitch" This was on FB so IDK but it was a Nissan page. Maybe someone can look around on there. I can't do it from this computer.

Check out this video. It shows the standard gooseneck hitch equipped on the Titan XD.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
brulaz wrote:
fx2tom wrote:
Nissan had them out in Southern CA this weekend so me and the little guy went and looked at them and I will say that, in person, I was drooling. The interior is very very nice and the outside actually looks pretty good. I told DW that I'd be seriously considering a new truck when this things hits it's second or third model year and all of the kinks are worked out.

Did you get a good look inside?
Was there a Exhaust Brake knob or switch?
Haven't seen anything in the press about Nissan using the Cummins 5L exhaust brake so was wondering ...

I didn't get a lot of time inside but there was a switch next to the brake controller but the guy from Nissan had like 10 people waiting to talk to him so I didn't wait to ask.

Just went over a hi res photo of dash
No sign of an exhaust brake.
Just have to wait and see.
But it is funny that Nissan has not mentioned it.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Here's a link to the chassis page on the new Titan that shows the factory gooseneck hitch. It also shows a picture of the AAM rear axle, which looks an awful lot like the one I had on my 6.0 powered Chevy 2500HD. That was a 10.5" ring gear which seems plenty big. I agree, a 13" ring gear axle seems huge for a pickup.

Boy, that is going to be a tight engine compartment......LOL!

They are designing vehicles with computers these days...most engine compartments are very tight these days-form very small cars to pickups there is no room.

I can still work on my Cummins pretty easily. Not as easy as my 2005 but still easy compared to most others. LOL!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Here's a link to the chassis page on the new Titan that shows the factory gooseneck hitch. It also shows a picture of the AAM rear axle, which looks an awful lot like the one I had on my 6.0 powered Chevy 2500HD. That was a 10.5" ring gear which seems plenty big. I agree, a 13" ring gear axle seems huge for a pickup.

They are designing vehicles with computers these days...most engine compartments are very tight these days-form very small cars to pickups there is no room.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
This is a pretty intriguing truck to me. I've had good luck with Nissan over the years, and this might strike a really good balance between a light and heavy duty truck. The only thing I'm a little bummed about is it doesn't have a SFA. But the engine and transmission seem like they could be real winners and the 5.0 may be a good middle ground between performance and fuel economy.

If it wasn't for a family medical situation that popped up in the last couple of months I'd probably be driving a Ram 2500 right now, but maybe the delay will be a good thing in terms of letting me check out this new Nissan.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Need 3500 payload to really fit the niche. Otherwise F150 8200 gvwr covers it better IMHO.

I think Nissan undersized the first Titan rear axle also.

3500!? That's beyond the abilities of most true 3/4 ton crew cab diesels. Ram couldn't attain those numbers till they went to coil rears, 11.5 axle, and 50ksi frame...

This truck is a direct competitor to the 8200 F150 that you mentioned. Neither of which comes near 3500 lbs payload in the crew cab configuration.

In fact, I bet the crew cab, 6.5' bed F150 is pretty much bang-on with this Titan's payload, and that's before factoring in the heavier diesel.

As I have posted elsewhere , the only standard Pickups that come close are what you get outside the U.S., or the 1 tonners as they are called here. I think the recod now is 3200lb

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
jus2shy wrote:

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
jus2shy wrote:

Something's weird here. There is no reason to use a 13" ring gear in this truck. It would just waste fuel and HP and serve no purpose. Nowday's nobody wants to waste fuel..........not even a drop.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
fx2tom wrote:
Nissan had them out in Southern CA this weekend so me and the little guy went and looked at them and I will say that, in person, I was drooling. The interior is very very nice and the outside actually looks pretty good. I told DW that I'd be seriously considering a new truck when this things hits it's second or third model year and all of the kinks are worked out.

Did you get a good look inside?
Was there a Exhaust Brake knob or switch?
Haven't seen anything in the press about Nissan using the Cummins 5L exhaust brake so was wondering ...

I didn't get a lot of time inside but there was a switch next to the brake controller but the guy from Nissan had like 10 people waiting to talk to him so I didn't wait to ask.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP