Cummins in a Nissan for 2016. Nissanusa.com/truck
49 REPLIES 49

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
It might serve a niche market - I was reading that they are making a Titan XD (supposedly heavier duty than a half ton but not quite a 3/4 ton) Anyways, it's capable up to 12 or 13000 lbs towing and more than 2000 lbs payload.

I see the market here (I don't know if it's very big) but I can see the use for it. I don't expect the 5.0L Cummins to be putting out the fuel economy numbers like the 3.0 Ecodiesel from Ram or the Ecoboost from Ford - but hey seems interesting right? Can't wait to see one in person. FWIW I think Toyota also signed on to the 5.0 Cummins program so Nissan probably will not be the only player in developing a truck that is between a half ton and 3/4 ton truck.

If RAM can sell all of the Diesels they can produce-there will indeed be a market for this truck. Nissan has always made good trucks-they just never sold in great numbers for other reasons.

Not sure they always made good trucks. The Frontier has been successful on an international scale - and suppose it has in tthe US as well for the market its in. Maybe the Titan was a good truck on reliablity but it sure wasn't if you're grading on performance. The Titan has been in desperate need of an update for a decade. I don't think it was much of a surprise on how little they sold when the price was the only number that was inline with the Big 3. For example Titans big V8 was/is putting out 6cyl numbers on HP and TQ. The interior was horrible and the ride subpar. In my opinion I wouldn't even call the Titan a competitor in the 1500 series class. That is maybe until now - they might just be onto something. We shall see!

No the Navara the diesel engined look a like of the Frontier , can tow a 5th Wheeler, carry about 2,500lbs. Much stronger and Heavier chassis than Frontier

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Only negative to the F150 HD package is you have to order it. With the Nissan it's going to be a stock item.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Shame RAM let that one get away.

I don't think its a shame - Ram was/is going for fuel economy out of a 1500 series truck. Which is why they have a 3.0L they call an Ecodiesel. The 5.0L Cummins wouldn't have made much sense in a 1500 platform especially with Ram offering the 6.7L Cummins in a 2500.

I don't think the economy would have been much different. Reports of 23mpg are not hard to obtain. My 98 12V 2wd 5 speed will do that no problem on the freeway.

Well the Ecodiesel in the Ram puts out 28MPG with various customer reports of even higher. I don't believe the 5.0L Cummins mated with a Nissan truck will be pulling anything close to that. I could be wrong but will have to wait to find out. All I'm saying is that it isn't a "shame" that Ram passed on the 5.0L Cummins. That engine just wasn't what Ram was looking for in a small displacement diesel for fuel economy. I do think it's a perfect fit for Nissan or Toyota or any manufacturer that wants to make a heavier duty 1500 series truck with more capability than the other 1500s on the market but yet more nimble than a traditional 3/4 ton.

Like another poster said though - Ford has the 2000lb payload beat with their F150 when equipped with the HD payload and Max tow packages. So we'll see where this Nissan takes us - it's a market for sure albeit we don't really know how large.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
13" ring gear and 2000 pound payload? I think Nissan is missing the mark here.

Agreed. Almost as if they are one-upping the Tundra's 10.5" ring gear. They can put a 25" ring gear and 8 inch axle tubes in it if they choose to, at the end of the day it is still a semi-floating axle. They should have sourced or designed a 9.75-10.5 inch full floating axle. That would easily get them into a payload capacity comparable to some 3/4 ton trucks. Perhaps their intent is to keep it in the half ton class, where it will be top dog with 500+ ft. lbs. of torque and diesel power.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
13" ring gear and 2000 pound payload? I think Nissan is missing the mark here.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mrkoje wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I don't think its a shame - Ram was/is going for fuel economy out of a 1500 series truck. Which is why they have a 3.0L they call an Ecodiesel. The 5.0L Cummins wouldn't have made much sense in a 1500 platform especially with Ram offering the 6.7L Cummins in a 2500.

I don't think the economy would have been much different. Reports of 23mpg are not hard to obtain. My 98 12V 2wd 5 speed will do that no problem on the freeway.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

My guess is that their weak link will be in the tranny...

6 speed Aisin I think it should be alright
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
It all boils down to what is the weakest link in the food chain down to pavement

It sure has the power or enough power, but that isn't the weak link in most
TV's towing heavy...it is the pay load and the diff rating

On the diff rating...tell me folks...who has a diff ring gear larger than what
is announced to be?

Quote from: Off-Road.com
offroad.com wrote:

The Titan XD features purpose-built American Axle Manufacturing (AAM) axles: 9.25 inches in front,

13.0 inches

with 3.5-inch axle tubes in the rear. Nissan says an electronic locking rear differential is an available option

My Sub is a 8.6K GVWR, 6K RGAWR with a 10.5" dia ring gear. The newer
pickups have 11.5" dia ring gear with a +7K RGAWR

This is going to or reported to have a 13" dia ring gear from the same supplier
to GM as mine...AAM

My guess is that their weak link will be in the tranny...until they
figure that out and very soon after problems, if problems, are found

Been saying for years...that the big three's +8K GVWR will have their
lunches eaten by foreign if they don't get their act together...they
have been getting it together and IHMO pushed by foreign...

I might jump if Nissan comes out with a decent (to me) SUV with a
+8K GVWR
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take my 5.0L Cummins in a Freightliner Chassis please, thank you.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cummins saved the Dodge truck, let's see what happens here.
Puma 30RKSS

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a buck for every post that stated "if only toy or nissan made a HD truck , one would be in my driveway"
I would be a hundredaire and toy or nissen would have a sold out production year.
we will now see if it was only hot air.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
mrkoje wrote:
It might serve a niche market - I was reading that they are making a Titan XD (supposedly heavier duty than a half ton but not quite a 3/4 ton) Anyways, it's capable up to 12 or 13000 lbs towing and more than 2000 lbs payload.

I see the market here (I don't know if it's very big) but I can see the use for it. I don't expect the 5.0L Cummins to be putting out the fuel economy numbers like the 3.0 Ecodiesel from Ram or the Ecoboost from Ford - but hey seems interesting right? Can't wait to see one in person. FWIW I think Toyota also signed on to the 5.0 Cummins program so Nissan probably will not be the only player in developing a truck that is between a half ton and 3/4 ton truck.

If RAM can sell all of the Diesels they can produce-there will indeed be a market for this truck. Nissan has always made good trucks-they just never sold in great numbers for other reasons.

Not sure they always made good trucks. The Frontier has been successful on an international scale - and suppose it has in the US as well for the market its in. Maybe the Titan was a good truck on reliablity but it sure wasn't if you're grading on performance. The Titan has been in desperate need of an update for a decade. I don't think it was much of a surprise on how little they sold when the price was the only number that was inline with the Big 3. For example Titans big V8 was/is putting out 6cyl numbers on HP and TQ. The interior was horrible and the ride subpar. In my opinion I wouldn't even call the Titan a competitor in the 1500 series class. That is maybe until now - they might just be onto something. We shall see!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
They did under size the axle. But that's got nothing to do with the new truck.