Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Off road(ish) pop up

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howdy all.

I'm about to make the switch back from a TT to a pop up. For several reasons, not the least of which is my TT was destroyed by water damage over the winter. Plus, since we tent camped all summer, we realized how much we missed a pop up for more of a camping feel.

My question is about off road, or ruggedized pop ups. Back when I had one, it seemed there were more options than today. Still want a traditional style pop up, with the ability to travel over really rough roads. Suspension and clearance are the main issues.

My requirements of the trailer are fairly simple. Don't need huge. Would love one king sized bed, but queens are my minimum. Prefer to have a couch/bench as well instead of cabinets. Small fridge. Front storage "trunk" would be nice, but don't need the deck up front as I don't utilize ATVs and such, but if it had one, I wouldn't mind. Awning that I can at least add a screen room to if it didn't come with one. Don't need a bathroom or shower.

I noticed Jaco can add the off road package, but don't make the Baja anymore. I also know I can buy any pop up and add better suspension and tires, but then I worry about the rest of the trailer being not up to handling the rough handling it wasn't designed for.

Shouldn't be hard right? Well, I also would like to keep it between $10,000 and $12,000.

Does such a creature exist? I've searched the interwebs, but most of the results are discontinued models or truck/utility trailer top tents (which are cool, but not what I want for now). I appreciate any help.
15 REPLIES 15

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't do any jungle,just Perth to Darwin.end of May to begining of July. The turn off for Mitchel Falls is dirt, but it's still a road,and a good one at that, we were able to do as much as 50K. It had been a dry "wet", so crossing the Pentacost was pretty uneventful. There is a bit of a hazard , don't get out or the saltwater crocs would get you! We did go off road near Kalkarinji in NT.
Adventure before dementia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
We just got back from six weeks there. We did the Gibb River Road up to Mitchell Falls.

Aussies have much greater distances of "off pavement", putting a much longer test to trailers. You guys also love setting up elaborate camps.

That would be fun ๐Ÿ™‚ At least you have an idea of what " off road" means. If you went to the extreme North of Australia,, then you would be going through Jungle and rivers

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from six weeks there. We did the Gibb River Road up to Mitchell Falls.

Aussies have much greater distances of "off pavement", putting a much longer test to trailers. You guys also love setting up elaborate camps.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
This is very close to what I want. Might even do it.

Forest River EPS style

My question is if anyone knows if they're quality built? They claim a reinforced frame and good suspension, but I'd like feedback.

Are the Jayco's quality built and is their suspension upgrade up to snuff? Again, looking for feedback from users.

Are they're any other brands I've missed? Those two are the only ones I've found.

I appreciate all the responses. I do not want a roof top tent system at this time. But thanks anyway as I can see how it would almost fit my needs.

I cannot really give you a definitive answer,but Jayco Australia bought some to trial as a cheap alternative for young families. They remained unsold.What we expect and what US buyers expect could be miles apart.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is very close to what I want. Might even do it.

Forest River EPS style

My question is if anyone knows if they're quality built? They claim a reinforced frame and good suspension, but I'd like feedback.

Are the Jayco's quality built and is their suspension upgrade up to snuff? Again, looking for feedback from users.

Are they're any other brands I've missed? Those two are the only ones I've found.

I appreciate all the responses. I do not want a roof top tent system at this time. But thanks anyway as I can see how it would almost fit my needs.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I've rebuilt one once to do just that. What I found:

The frame needs to be about twice as stiff,you may have to add a subframe
You need shocks, without shocks, gravel roads snap springs.
Approach and departure angles have to be looked at.
If you use proper jacks, like the ones used for stabilisers on TT, you can lift the tent trailer allowing for some very rough campsites and tire changes
Two spares.

I laugh at those mudders on pop-ups. You only need something like that to get sidewall protection and those cheap ones don't have that.

Another option is an Aussie style camping trailer.

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
ryanb-72 wrote:
Any of these work?
http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/

Clicky for above
Sent from my laptop with 100% renewable electrons.

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
Any of these work?
http://www.theadventureportal.com/off-road-trailer-buyers-guide-2015-2016/
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still debating this. My dilemma is in wanting new vs used with upgrades.

Probably wouldn't modify a new one due to warranty issues.

A used one can be modified to my specific needs, which is cool, but no warranty and it's always a **** shoot buying used.

Still haven't seen much in the way of purpose built off road PUPs aside from Forest River and the Jayco suspension upgrade. Looking for more options

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Starcraft RT10 it was designed with a larger frame to go along with the lifted suspension and shocks. Although it was purpose built it had its problems. The first major off-road trip we took it came back leaning to one side from the leaf springs collapsing. Typical RV manufacturer built it with a load capacity of almost zero.
I really dont think it would take a huge investment to outfit a standard pop up to go off-road. You could always run some extra frame supports to beef up the frame if needed. plus install all the appropriate gear for what YOU need.
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I don't think the standard pop up type trailers like the Jayco that are lifted and have offroad tires are modified aside from those differences. The frames and interior bits are certainly all the same as far as I know. You could save some bucks by finding a nice used unit and then do the mods yourself. Keep the length short because the limiting factor on that type of rig on rough roads is likely your approach and departure angles. On that note you might also think about picking up some free standing stabilizer jacks and removing the crankdown jacks on the trailer to prevent them from being torn off. Trust me, I've done it...

Jayco in Australia, does make a specific Off Road Popup Camper, but these are not available in the US

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD, that's a good idea for the Jacks. Torn one off myself.

I've thought about the used, then conversion, idea. Might ho that route. This will be our third trailer of some sort. All used previously. The wife is wanting new for once. But if we don't find what we want, used is still very much an option.

In my research, Forest River Rockwood pop ups come in an off road configuration. Anyone know if they're quality? Seems Forest River has been all over the map in the last several years

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the standard pop up type trailers like the Jayco that are lifted and have offroad tires are modified aside from those differences. The frames and interior bits are certainly all the same as far as I know. You could save some bucks by finding a nice used unit and then do the mods yourself. Keep the length short because the limiting factor on that type of rig on rough roads is likely your approach and departure angles. On that note you might also think about picking up some free standing stabilizer jacks and removing the crankdown jacks on the trailer to prevent them from being torn off. Trust me, I've done it...
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. Those are the type of roof top tent trailers (that although I'd love), are not what I'm looking for. But thanks for replying.

I'm looking for your more traditional PUP. Only difference is I'd like it to be ruggedized for back country use. Kind of in between developed campgrounds and overlanding. Even some traditional Forest Service and PGE campgrounds are difficult to get to. No way a hard side long wheel base TT could get to them. But once you're there, there's nice camp spots and sometimes even pavement inside the campground. Also would use it for boondocking in the forest.

It's just getting there. The rough roads and ruts could easily kill a nice trailer. No matter how slow you go, those roads take their toll. And some places have corners only a smaller trailer could get around.

Long winded. Sorry. I just want a nice PUP, basic amenities, that will stand up to rocky and rutty forest roads.

Anyone know if the Jayco suspension upgrade is worth it? It adds the clearance and shocks, but can the trailer itself stand up to bouncing around and twisting and turning? Or are there better options?