cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK stupid question

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here is my question. I just purchased a husky round bar WDH with sway control. I haven't really had a chance to read about it yet, but when you hook up the bars, do the chains have to be tight or have some give in them? I know this is kinda stupid, but I am just kinda curious. Thanks.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control
11 REPLIES 11

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
thanks again i have been reading and also checked the manual I think I can figure it out now, thanks again.
2014 Ford F150 5.0

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of Youtube vids.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have always been told that the bars should be reasonably parallel to the A-frame. Pay attention to the recommendation on how tight the snap latches need to be tightened onto the frame..hint...don't crank the bolts so tight it distorts the bracket. read up on how to properly set the hitch system up for your tow vehicle, again, check your trucks owners manual for this.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
There is a sticky at the top of the Towing forum that tells you in detail how to set up your hitch.

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
You need to read up on setting up a WDH and what is the reason for using a WDH.
It's not hard to do, a little basic measuring, a little fiddling with angling the ball mount (most likely) backwards, getting the truck fender measurments correct, having the trailer sitting level, not nose up or more than just slightly nose down, etc. Make sure to have adequate tongue weight, 12-15% of loaded trailer weight.
A few hours should have you in the ballpark, then after towing, perhaps a little adjusting or tweaking to get it as close as you can.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
yea im going to read the instructions just havent yet, just getting an idea. Thanks for the replies
2014 Ford F150 5.0

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, enblethen, no question about using the manufacturer's website/instructions to set up a new system but OP says he will read the instructions. I viewed it as a preliminary question...chains need tension on them to transfer any weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
They need to be tight. How tight?
I would suggest going to the WDH nmanufactuer website and download how to set up there bars.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that. I have been towing without WDH and just got one. Not cool to tow without WDH. I'm kinda excited to be able to use this new hitch. I mainly have been towing to local campground 4 miles, but in a week Im going about 2 hours away.
2014 Ford F150 5.0

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
NOT a stupid question! Tight after I get the block out from under the jack and the Tahoe has finished leveling itself. The chain tension is what transfers the weight back to the TT wheels and forward to the TV's front axel.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad