cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to drive home from dealer without a Wdh?

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a Keystone passport 2670we that the dealer is prepping before I can tow it home. I have ordered a equal-i-zer-hitch that is still being shipped. Long story short. Can I tow the TT home without the wdh. I'll exceed the 500lb tongue weight without using the hitch,using wdh hitch max is 1050 lbs. All back roads no freeway driving.
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE
51 REPLIES 51

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
glad it all worked out for you
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
If the hitch has a friction anti-sway assembly, loosen it some prior to backing.

Irrelevant. It helps to read an entire discussion before commenting :W ... the OP said in his first post that started this thread that he ordered an Equal-i-zer brand weight distribution system. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If the hitch has a friction anti-sway assembly, loosen it some prior to backing.

Like this:

Bob

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice rig... congrats. Think you did the smart thing taking it with you. Glad they offered to install it, but yes, double check things yourself. That way you learn and make sure it was done correctly.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice looking rig! Truck/trailer should be a good match up. Looks like the trailer wheels even kind of match truck wheels.

Glad it all worked out for the tow home!

Enjoy that new trailer!

Jerry

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking rig! Must have towed well on the way home eh? They are noisy!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: in case anyone cares...ended up taking the parts for the hitch with me, i figured that they would have filled the propane bottles and filled with water to make sure everything worked when picking up and that would just be adding more weight. well i was correct. so i went ahead and put the ball on the hitch assembly (that sucker was fun) at home so i could do the rest at CW. Well long story short they ended up asking me if they could install the hitch while we finished with paper work. (they knew i would be installing hitch myself afterwards) CW actually did a great job it looks like, but ill still be going over it myself later this week ๐Ÿ˜‰ but just wanted to say thanks for all the replies everyone offered

Went practicing backing this morning for like 2 hours...this equalizer hitch is noisy!! if i hadn't read about that i for sure would have thought dealership did something wrong...haha
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming your speeds are kept reasonable (50mph or less), I see no issue. Yes, you are over the 500# ball weight on the receiver (without WDH) and will have no sway control. Take your time, don't try to win any races, and MAKE SURE your trailer brakes are working prior to pulling out.

It will drop probably 2" in the rear, assuming the 625# dry weight is correct.

If you are mechanically inclined at ALL, do the WDH install yourself. It will most likely save you from having to redo the install the dealer does. Unfortunately, some dealers don't have the best track record when it comes to installing WDHs correctly.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Seems like the answers are pretty split. Wonder if the folks who say it is okay will pay for any breakage that occurs.

Personally, unless you know how to set the hitch up properly, I would probably reschedule and have CW install the hitch as well. Of course, that assumes THEY know how to do it, which could be a whole new topic unto itself.

Like alot of things, if you are looking to justify your decision, you'll find it either way you want to go. Only you can make the call. Risk is probably low, given 18 miles, and assuming it's all low speed roads. But, no one here knows the road conditions, other than you.

Good luck with your decision.. whichever way you go. And congrats on the purchase.

Mike

CW and on time usually don't go together so your hitch will probably arrive before your camper is ready.

I sometimes haul my camper 10 miles or so with no WD or sway to the local CG. No issues in 7 years. Never gone over 50mph like that.

What ever you decide good luck
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
In the end it is your decision, you seem to have enough skills to handle the situation.

Overloading, slow driving and such, are just part of the job from time to time if you farm or use your pick-up to haul loads on the job.

Smart? No. Necessary? Some times. Dangerous? Can be. Where and tear? Some. Legal? Probably.

So again it is your decision, If it works, you are fine; if not it is your fault and responsibility.

If it was my TT and TV at risk I would wait till I could do it right. There is a lot of money at stake. It is not like you dumped a few bales of hay.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mudbud255
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine from the same outfit, and was anxious to get it home being it was our first TT. And they towed it the 30 or so miles to my house for no charge.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is talking about damage to the truck. I'd also worry about sway without the WDH/sway control, unless the OP goes extremely slowly. OP, if you do it, please don't go where semis will be passing you.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Do you have a heavy duty torque wrench that goes up to 250(ish)?

250 ft-lb torque wrench is inadequate. Here's the list of tool requirements from the Equal-i-zer installation instructions.

TOOLS NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION

The following tools will allow you to install the hitch properly:
1-1/8โ€ Box-end wrench (Shank Bolts)
1-1/8โ€ Socket wrench (Shank Bolts)
3/4โ€ Box-end or socket wrench (Link Plates and L-brackets)
5/8โ€ Socket or box-end wrench (Angle Set Bolt)
Measuring tape
Pencil
Torque wrench capable of 320 ft-lbs of torque. (Shank Bolts)
Torque wrench capable of 75 ft-lbs of torque. (Sway Bracket Assembly)

Recommended tools for installing the Hitch Ball:

1-7/8โ€ Thin-wall socket (available from Progress Mfg. Inc.)
Torque Wrench capable of 430 ft-lbs of torque (or higher if hitch ball manufacturer specifies).
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion, but if you are half way mechanically inclined you will do a better job of the install than the dealership will. I spent Sunday basically comlplwtely reinstalling my Reese dual cam because it seems like the installing dealership didn't even come close to installing it right. I had reservations of them doing it right and boy was I right. Now I have an extra set of holes in my frame to show for it.