cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to drive home from dealer without a Wdh?

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a Keystone passport 2670we that the dealer is prepping before I can tow it home. I have ordered a equal-i-zer-hitch that is still being shipped. Long story short. Can I tow the TT home without the wdh. I'll exceed the 500lb tongue weight without using the hitch,using wdh hitch max is 1050 lbs. All back roads no freeway driving.
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE
51 REPLIES 51

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Why not wait and pay camping world to install the hitch?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see what the problem is. Hitch up, drive home. It's not like your trailer is loaded yet, it's brand new. An extra hundred lbs or so on the hitch isn't going to make the sky fall or cause the truck to fall to bits.

The weight police on this forum are really funny sometimes. Just last week a combo was posted with a little ford ranger or something towing a huge trailer, with so much weight on his hitch that the front end was way up in the air and the rear end almost dragging on the payment.

The poor guy that posted it endured several pages of shaming by the weight police, claiming that combination was just fine, well within the ranger's capabilities.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
PnrFab wrote:
I'll exceed the 500lb tongue weight

There is your answer. NO!

By exceeding the maximum allowed tongue weight, you will put stress on the equipment that it was not designed to take and ultimately cause a failure. That failure often does not occur at the time when the weight was exceeded, but some time later.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
ARe you going to have brakes and lights?
If no brakes, no light and that overweight then definitely NO!
You are putting others at risk for your convenience.

If just no equalizer hitch then slow and dry roads only.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PnrFab wrote:
18 miles, 2 reasons the hitch is coming Friday and I'm picking trailer up on Friday. So not sure when hitch will be delivered and then I'd be installing it in parking lot of camping world ๐Ÿ™‚

Which suggest you may not be just towing the trailer home without the benefit of WD but also returning later to Camping World the same way? :h

Presumably you've downloaded the Equal-i-zer installation instructions, understand how it's supposed to work, it's limitations, and will have the tools on hand necessary to do a proper installation - including a torque wrench that many don't have handy in their workshop? :h

Having owned an Equal-i-zer myself and knowing what's involved methinks there may be more to this story. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the speed, it's the bumps in the road. One hard hit bump and the trailer goes "bouncy-bouncy" and you could break a spring on your truck.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget most likely that TT uses a 2 5/16" ball....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like has been stated, make sure you have an appropriate draw bar and hitch ball. I took my first camper home without a WDH, but it was on lower speed roads. Lots of twisty's and narrow roads made it fun... but we kept the speed below 45 the entire time and it towed just fine.

Be safe, drive slow and watch out for rough roads and you should be fine.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
PnrFab wrote:
Just purchased a Keystone passport 2670we that the dealer is prepping before I can tow it home. I have ordered a equal-i-zer-hitch that is still being shipped. Long story short. Can I tow the TT home without the wdh. I'll exceed the 500lb tongue weight without using the hitch,using wdh hitch max is 1050 lbs. All back roads no freeway driving.

What are you going to use as a drawbar and ball ... if those two are rated for the load and you're using the built in receiver on your truck then 18mi at speeds of around 40 to 45mph might be O.K.as long as the roads are somewhat smooth.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I picked mine up without a WD hitch, around 800 lbs tongue weight, but I was pulling with a 1500HD that has a higher payload. I had a 60 mile run that was mostly interstate. It did bounce me around a bit, and was not a comfortable tow, but it was not as bad as I thought it might be. I think that ample payload, and E rated tires made it better.

It definitely tows better with the Blue Ox.

My biggest concern would be how much it squats the truck.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Class 4 receiver? Tongue weight is 625lbs on an F150? You should be fine, just take your time.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I did just as you are proposing with my first TT many years ago... But my tow was only about 2 miles, and I was able to stay on residential streets never exceeding 25 MPH... It was NOT a comfortable experience. I suggest that you wait for your hitch to arrive. It is just a few days. I know you are anxious to get it, but if you break something.... That would be a bad way to start off.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

PnrFab
Explorer
Explorer
thx for all the replies, new to this whole thing...lots to learn!
2014 F150 Eco-Boost
2017 Keystone Passport 2670BHWE

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see a problem with it.

The sky won't fall on you if you don't use a WD hitch for 18 miles worth of driving.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v