cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old truck vs new truck

wvu_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe like many others - the thought of upgrading trucks comes with the dread dealing with all the new emission issues, or skipping diesel and go for a gasser. I have a 2005 Silverado 2500 LLY and have had it for a long time but only has 120k miles…however the last 10-15k miles have been expensive. Oil sender failed, cluster failed, transfer case seal failed, front hub/bearing failed…now I believe I have an FPR or some other fuel related issue creeping up on me with a slight pulse while in gear, near idle. Dealer wants 1-2 hrs to diagnose. While this is not my DD, if I trade it….whatever I end up with will be. We tow mostly April thru November about once per month. The thought of tossing more $ into this truck is starting to bother me due to its age….but I have to think even a 15 year old diesel still tows better than a modern gasser. So what say you – is it worth the money to upgrade to a modern truck with payment or just keep repairing what is paid for?
38 REPLIES 38

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The money spent on payments every month will do more repairs than you will ever need. Anyone that says they will be money ahead buying a new one, is just wanting a new one no matter what !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
new diesel will not like being idled around town nor will it like short trips. They do like being worked hard and long highway trips, im certain this is why ive never had an issue yet, for around town i have a motorcycle or we take teh wifes car.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, that solves that! Sounded like your old truck was only an extended cab as well, which is pretty limited for space.
I'd be comfortable with any LML truck, save for maybe the first year 2011s. Buddy has had some issues with his '11 emissions, but he drives it like a prius too, so....
Or a newer L5P would be the cats @ss.
LML in the new (soon to be old) body style 2015-newer would be nice for the newer amenities and bit bigger cab.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wvu_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have sold our our truck to a local and are currently hunting for a newer one. We just outgrew it and needed a few things fixed, but it would still be a good truck for someone. The newer trucks are so much bigger inside with 4 doors, etc. It didn't take long to notice the other benefits that will come along with a newer truck after a couple test drives.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Had an 05 Chevy 2500HD with the diesel for the past 8 years. Other than replacing the head gaskets it was a great truck. Had 178k miles on it and it was in great shape, but after 8 years wanted something newer. Bought a 16 with the diesel last November and haven't looked back. As much as I liked the 05 the 16 is better in every way.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the condition of your present truck. If NO rust, and basically near pristine (no dents, damage, parts falling off, etc) then spend the money to fix the issues and do some pre-emptive maintenance an parts replacement.

Consider adding a lift pump and filter kit ($745)(such as from Kennedy Diesel), and possibly go ahead and replace the pressure regulator (new Bosch, $185), and relief valve ($195), and you will be good to go for many miles.

I do lots of pre-emptive maintenance on vehicles, so I don't have to worry about problems cropping up at a bad time. If you are one who runs a vehicle into the ground and doesn't fix anything, even minor cosmetic or interior issues, then just go ahead and trade it in. Someone like me will pick it up, do the research, and go through it from front to rear and get all fluids and hoses replaced, do upgrades that improve reliability, and put many miles on it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I was at or near wvu_traveler's point 2 years ago. I had a good running 05 Duramax that had body issues. Yes it would have been cheaper to have put money into that truck than to trade. But at some point you have to move on. We just figured sooner was better and bought the 18 Duramax. It is not my daily driver, only used for towing. I could have gotten a gasser or a SRW truck. Both would have marginally done the job, the DRW diesel does the job better.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
For that size trailer a 3/4 ton Gasser will do the job just fine. I had a 12000 pound fifth wheel and towed it with a 2014 6.4 liter hemi and it did a great job. The new ones would be even better with the new 8-speed transmission.

That said it is always cheapest to keep the old truck and fix it. The new diesels will tow even better than what you have now. All depends on how much money you have to throw around.
Agreed.

I towed the same 10k TT with a 2015 F-250 6.2L and a 2018 F-250 6.2L and even those were miles apart in performance.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
At the same time, I understand peace of mind and the lack of available time to tinker on things with having kids. We're at the epicenter of kid activities, work and life. Virtually zero downtime to do other things, I get it.
Just depends how strong your wallet is vs your problems with your truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wvu, you're overthinking it, IMO.
Did you think the same about your Lily Duramax when you bought it? Becasue intercoolers, overheating and injectors were "issues" with them.
You literally do not have more to worry about with a new diesel than the old one in your driveway. If you were talking 08 up to about 2013 I'd have a different answer.
Of course buy what you want, but financially, if your 05 is in otherwise great shape, you're money ahead to run it, even if you do sink a few grand into preventative repairs.
The Internet is good and bad. Now everyone has 1000% more things at their fingertips to worry about!

Gas trucks aren't magically problem free either. Most all new trucks ARE pretty problem free, but example my 2016 Silverado. If it was newer it would have been out of warranty when it spit out a bad transmission at 60k miles, without warning and with proper maintenance. I could look at the flip side and say if it was an Alli behind a Dmax, it wouldn't have happened.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
We have lost money on every warranty including our 2001 alpenlite that was $1400 at a discount.

chevman

I'm talking factory OEM GM warranty, not aftermarket insurance policies. I'd never purchase or recommend one either.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
wvu_traveler wrote:
Thanks all for the responses. May go out and drive a new F250 with a gas and see if I like it. My 2005 is completely stock other than AFE mouthpiece I had installed. If I had the tools and someplace to work on my own truck...id likely just keep my Chevy a few more years. With wife and kids....I just may buy new for piece of mind and go on with life. I don't think i'm brave enough to jump into a diesel of any brand with all the emission junk to deal with.

If you do, try and drive one with the 4.30 axle. They are hard to find (I special ordered mine). Tows very well with that combo.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Newer trucks keep getting stronger and stronger and with better transmissions....but wow are they expensive.

I'm mechanically inclined and would likely keep the 6.0,good engines.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have lost money on every warranty including our 2001 alpenlite that was $1400 at a discount.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110