cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Step Closer

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On Friday we finalize the purchase of a 2016 Grand Design 317RST to be used full time after retirement next year. It is 35' weighing 10,138 empty carrying a GVWR of 13,995. The dealer agreed to store it for us until next year. Now comes the hard part - buying a truck.

Years ago we had an '03 F250 PS used to haul a 24' 5er. Worked like a champ. But the new diesels really scare me with all the problems they've had. Regardless, I've decided diesel is the way to go. The Cummins seems like a great engine, unfortunately I've read way too much about front ends and wheel bearings and am concerned about Ram's build quality in general. I like Fords, but the prospect of having a problem which requires ripping the cab off the truck bothers me.

Pretty much, I've decided on Ford. Right now they're offering 0.00% financing up to 72 months and some great pricing on left over 2016 models - that is hard to ignore. I found two trucks of interest. The first is a F350 PD crew cab short bed SRW with 3.55 gears. The 2nd is a F350 Supercab long bed SRW with the same gearing. I know length is our friend when towing, but the 2 trucks are within 2 inches of each other with respect to wheel base. The 2nd is about 6k less expensive.

As I am unfamiliar with towing 14k, so I am interested in input from those who are. What say ye?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
81 REPLIES 81

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you enjoy the new truck.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Fast Mopar wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Fact is Ford is a US based company that is still ran by the Ford family and Ram/fiat is a foreign company that is ran by macaroni. In addition it's comical that you brag that your B&W hitch is "Made in the USA" but you always leave out that nasty detail that your ram truck is "Made in Mexico" by a foreign brand.

Spin it however you like.

BTW...Your like a liberal in that 2+2= Whatever feels good.

RAM truck plant

Ford truck plant

Fish, your post here is accurate. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall in a recent post that you stated you run Michelin tires on your truck. The fact is that Michelin is not a US company. They do build tires in the US, but they are definitely not a US company. Goodyear is a US company. They build tires in the US and in other countries, but they are a US company. In addition, Goodyear produces the synthetic rubber in the US that is used in those tires that are produced here in the US and at their plants in other countries. Don't argue with me on this - this is the business I am in. If you really want to walk the walk on doing business with US companies (which is something I respect as well), then you should change your brand of tire next time around. Heck, if you're nice, I might even offer you one of my employee discount codes.

Sorry to hijack the thread. You may return to your normal programming.

My truck came from the factory with Michelin tires and now I'm running Goodyears. :W

Thanks in advance on that discount offer. I do agree that buying "Made in the USA" and equally important buying from US based companies is the respectable thing to do.

And your boat motor is what brand again?
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Now that's a truck! Very nice!
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOU DID GOOOOOD!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It's monolithic. Color is dark brown but even in person at a distance or certain lighting it looks black.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one is going to say "YOU NEED A BIGGER TRUCK"! That is a looker, black & chrome, it don't get any sharper than that!

Enjoy,
Jerry

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up this rig on Friday and so far am really happy with it. One exception, the dealer managed to deliver it to me with a side marker light out...

2016 Grand Design 317RST

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Congratulations and good choice. You would have been happy with any of the diesels, but I think you'll be particularly happy with the Cummins. :B

Thanks. I believe that's true about the other brands. The Cummins and engine brake is why got Ram the nod.

A tip of the hat to Cummins12V98 for showing me that I needed to test drive more than one brand.

You are welcome, I was skeptical when I bought my 98 12V from a Friend. At 360K I sold it to my Son. Same friend turned me on to the B&W hitches and I thank him to this day for steering me in the right direction on both.

Ah yes the 5.9 cummins was the last good engine under the hood of a Dodge...errrr ram
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Congratulations and good choice. You would have been happy with any of the diesels, but I think you'll be particularly happy with the Cummins. :B

Thanks. I believe that's true about the other brands. The Cummins and engine brake is why got Ram the nod.

A tip of the hat to Cummins12V98 for showing me that I needed to test drive more than one brand.

You are welcome, I was skeptical when I bought my 98 12V from a Friend. At 360K I sold it to my Son. Same friend turned me on to the B&W hitches and I thank him to this day for steering me in the right direction on both.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

2016 Grand Design 317RST

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:
After much research and hand wringing, we pulled the trigger on a truck purchase today and get to pick it up next Friday. It seems perfect for what we're towing. It's a '16 Ram Laramie CCLB dually in Luxury Brown; options include:

AISIN trans
3.42 gearing
5th wheel towing package
Air bag leveling system
LED bed lighting
Leather bucket seats
Heavy duty snow plow prep
Cargo view camera

I believe the air bag suspension rides a little nicer than non-air bag trucks I drove and the AISIN shifts great, too. ...really dig that truck. Can't wait to get it out there and work it some. It's going to be a long week!!

VERY nice. You do know pictures are required.

I have heard rumors. I'll put some up after picking it up next week.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:
After much research and hand wringing, we pulled the trigger on a truck purchase today and get to pick it up next Friday. It seems perfect for what we're towing. It's a '16 Ram Laramie CCLB dually in Luxury Brown; options include:

AISIN trans
3.42 gearing
5th wheel towing package
Air bag leveling system
LED bed lighting
Leather bucket seats
Heavy duty snow plow prep
Cargo view camera

I believe the air bag suspension rides a little nicer than non-air bag trucks I drove and the AISIN shifts great, too. ...really dig that truck. Can't wait to get it out there and work it some. It's going to be a long week!!

VERY nice. You do know pictures are required.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Grand Design 317RST