cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our first fall camping

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
This is the latest camping of the season, DW, fur camper and me have done, out at our local campground, 45 degrees right now, thank God for good wood for a fire
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP
3 REPLIES 3

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the late fall and winter camping. Most of the campground are all cleared out and you can still find a few that are still open. Here on the East side of the US there is little dispersed camping available to the public but you can still find some public places still open or will let you camp with permission. Most of the hookup items may be turned off and closed for the season already but these are not really necessary to have a good couple of nights camping off-grid so to speak.

Always nice to make good friends with some of the park rangers in the areas you like to camp at... Haven't done it in recent times but even here where I live I used to go down to Westmoreland State park 25 miles away and TENT CAMP in the dead of the winter back on the trails with permission... Ranger would come by and have coffee some morning haha... Same goes for the camp sites up on the Skyline Drive here as well...

Other places have their gates locked so that becomes a problem you have to respect...

Nothing better for me then to wake in the mornings at a creekside somewhere and get my bon-fire going and sit around the morning fire watching the fish jump in the creek... Virginia has several public camping places you can do this. Otter creek and Sherando lake comes to mind back in my Tent camping days...

Most public camping places around here close down at the end of October...

The most weather extreme places within a couple hundred of miles for me here in Virginia is up behind Harrisonburg VA along the Virginia/West Virginia wooded state line. This is near a place called FLAGPOLE RIDGE in the GW Natl Park fed by forest service trail roads. I would imagine they got their first snow last night haha...

I have had my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer up there a few times...

Big Meadows SKYCAM up on Skyline Drive only shows a cold morning here in the photo haha... No snow...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Shark,
The fall is probably our favorite season to TC. Cool nights for sleeping but the days are not yet so short. School is back in session. No crowds. Less traffic on the inter city byways. Usually not muddy or much freezing temperature to deal with.
We heat our home with wood so a campfire has less appeal than when we were city slickers trying to escape town and needed that 'wood smoke' cue to remind us that we were, indeed, actually camping and not in the city. Just layers and an earlier retire to the boudoir for a few quick games of backgammon and eventual climb to the bed and the best night's sleep we ever get.
jefe
Late September boon docking with my brother John in the Sierra Nevada High Country:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cool pic. Have fun!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member