cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outback vs Jayco vs Reflection

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
This is a repetitious question, but I want some advice of experienced owners and I think this is the right place.

My wife and I will be upgrading our camping rig in the next year from a 24' Grey Wolf to one of the following:

Outback (Keystone) 326RL

Jayco 330RSTS

Reflection (Grand Design) 315RLTS

All 3 are the same length and roughly the same weight.It all boils down to "little" things, such as minor details- such as:

Bed size - we prefer a queen size - Outback only offers a king size

Cabinet placement and amount of storage for clothes - the Reflection is the clear winner.

Warranty length - Outback is 1 yr, Jayco is 2 yrs, Reflection is 3 yrs.

Reputation of build quality.

Availability of dealers in the Memphis,TN area.

Note that all of the above are travel trailers. We will using a GMC Sierra w/ Duramax diesel to pull it, so power required or weight of the trailer will not be an issue. Fifth wheels are out due to both of us having knee issues and the fewer steps the better.
We are both still fairly new to this game and could use some good recommendations from any of you RV'ers who have been at this longer than us. Your advice and ideas are welcome.
19 REPLIES 19

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, nice choice. Happy camping!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
Well after all concerns, we placed an order for a new GD 315RLTS. It should be delivered to our dealer next week. My wife is chomping at the bit for it to come in so we can take it for a "test weekend". It will be pulled by our new Chevy Silverado HD2500 High Country w/Duramax diesel.
This set-up should last us a long time.

Thanks for all of your responses and suggestions.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at that same Grand Design Reflection trailer this past weekend at the Indy RV Expo.

It is a NICE trailer, and will probably be our next one. It was far more impressive than trailers with similar floor plans from other manufacturers.

It is long, heavy, and expensive, however.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

sp8gold
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we moved out of the Outback 298RE into the 313RLTS Reflection. While not any major issues, just several things that I did not like. I do not have anything good or bad as to dealing with Keystone. The bedroom slide and the extra large closet in the Reflection is a winner. The customer support with Grand Design has been outstanding with the limited items I have had to deal with. Even at 18 months they changed out the Anderson Kant Leak manifold with the new brand.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The GD "bumper to bumper" warranty is only one year. The three year is a structural warranty.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

racecitypat
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of the excellent quality of the Grand Design, and I do know the Outback is of good quality. We had our nightmare of quality issue problems with our Keystone Sprinter when we got it new, but after the fixes, its been good. Which ever you choose, be sure to do a very extensive wall-thru. Make sure everything works before leaving the dealer. And make sure the dealer you choose has a reputable service dept.
2013 Keystone Sprinter 331 RLS... "the Hillbilly Hilton"
2013 Dodge Ram 2500 CC, 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
www.campingvacationnation.com

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
No experience with the Grand Design or the Jayco. But, before settling, take a look at the Keystone Outback 298RE.

We've had ours for over 3 years now. The basic floor plan has not changed in 5 years now. No problems at all with it at all, except for stupid things I've done myself (like turning on the water heater with no water in it, and forgetting to remove caned cola from the fridge and they exploded when temperatures got to -20 below zero (F). Tows wonderful, perfect for 2 people, Queen bed, with slide out closet, rear living room with opposing slides and outside camp stove and sink.

Ours came with a free standing table and chairs. We removed them and the 2 rocker chairs and replaced everything on that slide with a household style full 3 seater recliner couch. I put wheels on it, can turn it facing the rear window when the slides are out.

Also, everything is accessible when the slides are pulled in. We often use the camper with all slides in. Especially in the winter to help reduce the space to heat when we winter camp. We put a second television in the bed room, so don't need to depend on the one in the living room when slides are in.

We love this camper. If we ever lost it, I'd get another one just like it.

Your model has a larger slide which includes the kitchen, mine does not. Yours has a King bed in the slide, ours has the closet in the slide with a Queen bed walk around. Ours has a corner cabinet right by the door, yours has a cabinet by the refrigerator. Some differences, but still worth your time to take a look at the 298RE.

we've logged over 25K miles in our 2010 295RE. So far ZERO problems. It has held up well, we love the floorplan, typical camping year is usually between 90 and 120 days of use.

For any trailer near this size, A single AC unit is going to be marginal in warm areas, and even worse if your near 100F and hot at night.

One thing we required in ANY trailer we looked at was adequate access with slides in. The 295/298 meet that. many others don't.

By adequate for us that meant bathroom, bedroom, fridge, microwave, dining table, cooktop and pantry.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmem Sport wrote:
298RE has the queen

True, but is has the traditional orientation of the bed being parallel to the frame. The model that I listed on my original post all have the bed on a slide and use the front end cap as a wardrobe along with a small dresser at the foot of the bed on the wall of the bedroom. With a queen bed on the slide, you get a lot of open space to move around in, a a lot more room for the dog.

Thanks for your answers and hope you see what i am referring to.

DB_Family
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Outback 301BQ and have used it for 5 seasons. 80%+ of the time we have 8 people staying in the trailer. I have had only 1 major issue - fading front cap. Outback/Keystone failed to accept any responsibility after their 12 mth warranty for this problem; even though it was due to poor gel coat used during the MFG process. I will be hard press to buy another Keystone product.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
csjag1 wrote:
We actually looked at the Outback 298RE, ... this one took a back seat. ...

Going back to your original post, sounds like you wanted the queen bed instead of the King. 298RE had the queen.

Also going back to your original post, I suppose I'm trying to convince you that, if you do select the Outback, you will be getting a good camper. Outbacks are not entry level, they are mid-level. In my opinion, well built, although only the 1 year standard warranty.

However, if you do end up selecting the Outback, you can do so with some sense of peace of mind that you're getting a good camper. My experience with mine has been very good, and any dealing I've had with Keystone have always been good too.

As with any camper, (regardless of brand), they are only as good as the owner takes care of them too!

Good luck... but you'll be OK to proceed with Outback with confidence if you choose!

Happy Camping!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco has me sold on their Magnum Truss Roof. The fact there is some pitch means almost no "ponding".

Dealer is key. All RVs will have problems. How the dealer handles them is how happy you will be. (make sure you take 1 or 2 short "shakedown" trips within the first 90 days. That is pretty much the limit of a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty unless you pay extra.)

While you can not schedule a break down, it can be very discouraging if it take multiple weeks to just get in the repair bay.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If i found a good dealer willing to work for you (who is going to be there after the sale) then i would buy any of those brands that offered the floorplan and equipment that i wanted.

csjag1
Explorer
Explorer
We actually looked at the Outback 298RE, but after seeing the other models with the bed on a slide and having the huge wardrobe in the nose, this one took a back seat. We have an 85 lb. lab who needs here space in the bedroom and the 298RE just doesn't have enough for us.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
bailer6334 wrote:
...On the Keystone look how the slide moves in and out. If using a cable a lot of reported problems by Keystone owners.

I'm just giving my experience and information about the camper I actually own here. But, my Outback has real wood cabinets (not particle board covered with wood looking wall paper like some of the lower end Keystone campers have) and the slides are on a gear and track system (whatever that's called).

Good point on the cabinet doors. Also look at drawers and countertops. Also good on the accessibility with the slides in. That's one of our #1 requirements to be able to get to the fridge and bathroom with the slides in while on the road. A large shower with head room is also a must.
Ease of accessing the plumbing hook ups and valves is also important with the slides in or out.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'