cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oven pilot light

214skier
Explorer
Explorer
While camping, do you leave your oven pilot light on?
2016 Grand Design Solitude 377MB
19 REPLIES 19

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I don't leave it on. On my 1993 TT if it were to go out gas would continue to flow. A very, very, small amount of gas but, why risk it.

I use the oven a few times a year on the spring and the fall when it is cool outside. I never use it on the summer.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
No, but I installed an electric powered lighter, so no need to.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I don't light it until I decide to use oven, then I leave it on until I get ready to leave.

Same here. Usually breakfast and biscuits are involved.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
No, only when we actually use the oven.

Ditto. It's rare that I use the oven, but when I do, I light the pilot only when the oven is going to be used.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We keep ours off. No sense burning gas for something we use twice a year.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours sometimes, some trips we don't light it at all. Our last trip of the summer, it got lit and we used the oven for something one meal. Then I forgot all about it 'till I went to winterize it like 6 weeks later. I then found that we had driven home 125 miles or so and then it sat parked for that time all the while with the pilot lit. The gas stayed on to keep the fridge cold for the ride home, but I had shut that off when we pulled in / emptied it. I just happened to look in the oven when cleaning / packing up for winter and saw the tiny flame still going....no harm done, just some extra propane burned up.....

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
TT is 13yrs old and I have never had the oven on

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I put an electric lighter in the oven of our last TT so we lit it when we needed it. Now we have a class A and the pilot stays on. We use the oven all most every day.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
When we camp on the coast it is damp and cool this time of year, So yeah, when we first need the oven I will light it and leave it lit for the rest of the time there, It takes the edge off of the cold,, It rarely falls into the thirties so for us it works well.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
matt_r wrote:
While camping, do you leave your oven pilot light on?

No
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
We only light it when we use it. I did the battery powered sparker mod to the burners and added an electrode to light the oven pilot. We use our oven pretty much every trip (except the trip when it was over 100 outside). We've had our trailer one season and never used the microwave.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
We only use it when we need it
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Only light the oven if it is going to be used.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I don't light it until I decide to use oven, then I leave it on until I get ready to leave. Usually once I light it, I will then use the oven a few more times. It also depends on outside temp, I am more likely to light and use oven when it is cold (or at least cool) outside.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS