cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over cab bed area external crack, Should I be concerned?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed this crack the other day wonder if it something to be concerned about?

I've been saying to myself that I should get those stabilizer that hold up the bed & now think it even more?

What do you guys think?

Its only on the drivers side.

& its a 1985 Lance.

I wonder if thats how it looks outside what might be going on inside?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
24 REPLIES 24

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
All the struts do is to dampen the camper fore aft rock that occurs as the bed of the truck is independant of the cab...it is debatable if it works all that well.

I drill the stop hole at the end and go in deep enuf to see if the wood is good, then seal it up if solid.

Have fun!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
My Lance has the same crack in the same area, this is due to flexing of the cab over and the thin siding. I just caulk it over after checking the the frame, which was in sound condition and still is.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe your understanding is correct. Not knowing what kind of tie downs you have, I would just snug all of them down, and when I hot the offroad I would loosen or remove the rears.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I'm thinking I'll loosen the rears, yet see no reason to keep them tighter for the HWY?

The camper should basically hold itself in place the hold downs keep it from sliding from what I understand?
With '85 Lance.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
... I wonder if maybe I have the tie downs too tight or loose now?

& Yes from the start my plan was dirt roads in the desert & sand as in Pismo beach & glamis & why I got a 4x4 truck.
Many people are of the belief the tie downs must be tight enough to literally hold the TC to the truck. If that were true, they would not bolt the Class C to the frame, they would only use four tie downs. The tie downs are intended to prevent the movement of minute vibrations of the TC. It really does not take much to hold a 2 or 3 thousand pound TC in the bed of the truck. The tie downs can be tighter on the highway than on rough roads, especially the rear tie downs. When the TC hits a rut, the cab over typically whips due to the cantilever. With the rear tie down loose, even though it is slight, the rear of the TC will go up and cushion the whip of the cab over.

Years past, I used my TCs off road. I always completely loosened my back tie downs, as did all of my friends. We saw many damaged TCs with the rear TC tie down mounts ripped out, and quite a few with the type of damage you have. Never saw an issue with the front tie downs, which typically pulled the TC toward the cab.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

chistoso
Explorer
Explorer
My 1989 Lance has had these for years. I drilled a very small hole in the skin to stop the crack from spreading and caulked it. I've had no other issues. The best part having an old camper is I can go where ever I want and not worry about it.
49er Faithful

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
If you were really concerned and didn't mind looking a little bit redneck-there-I-fixed-it you could route two straps from the front of the overhang across the top of the overhang and down the roof to the back of the camper.

I probably should have done this when building our camper as I could have put the straps underneath the aluminum roof coil to hide them. I did put a GoPro under the cab to see if it was flexing or bouncing and saw no movement so perhaps am ok.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not to sure about it being a normal stress crack for the age of the camper. Seeing how you have to patch the crack anyhow, I drill a couple small holes into the interior framing to see if the wood is solid. If it comes out punky, you have bigger problems.

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no expert, but from a different point of view it seems like simply a 29 year old camper that has been flexing like it should for 29 years and finally caused metal fatigue in that spot. Ever take a thin piece of sheet metal and bend it back and forth? Eventually the metal fatigues in that spot and breaks.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks to me like a tensile failure...not compression. The skin is torn.
Not sure how this could happen? But is sure looks like tensile failure...

Has the camper ever been lifted other than jacks (Forklift/hoist)?

In any case, a little eternabond, check for moisture=camp!

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
... I figure for the more bumpy roads they must help?
Without a doubt. Loosen the rear tie downs when on the bumpy roads, it will take some of the stress off of the cab over.

Wayne

I wonder if maybe I have the tie downs too tight or loose now?

& Yes from the start my plan was dirt roads in the desert & sand as in Pismo beach & glamis & why I got a 4x4 truck.

Yet have not gone yet.
Getting closer as I can afford it.

Got the 4 foot trailer extension in now & got my trailer & now I need to get a WDS for the trailer & then I'll start heading out to play.
With '85 Lance.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 3 campers over the years that experienced this, including a small crack on my current one. I caulked them and never had another problem. ... and NO water intrusion into the cabover section, etc. I too took (take) my camper on rough dirt roads (not 4x4 roads though) and the first time I experienced a crack in the cabover like yours was just after the first year of a brand new 1996 camper. No, it's not desirable and is a bit of a worry but you will know, other than tearing the entire cabover apart, if there is a problem in the future soon enough. The only concern I would have at this point is that after all these years it just now is appearing. No way to really know what is going on "under the skin." Just keep an eye on it. Yes, the struts help with the porpoising, but they are not load bearing. They help with the bounce and stress a bit too. Seal it, watch it and go camping!!! Well, at least that's what I did all these years! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Just like on all of us gravity takes its toll . Ive had campers that sagged like that in 3 years . look down the ribbed alum just above the cabover , from back to front , I bet the cabover has found a spot it likes down an inch or more and the alum siding wont go with it with out popping out or cracking . I doubt the cabover is loose , it just settled , you probably cant even notice is to bad from a profile , side view
If you really what to work at it you could pull the trim and the staples on the edges of the alum , reattach it in a more relaxed position and slid a small piece of alum behind the crack , with some caulking behind and pop rivet it together
A lot of newer campers and 5th wheels get stress cracks like that on the nose of the 5th overhang and around the corners of slideouts , and the fix is usually a small piece of flat white trim to cover it
But defiantly at least caulk it so you don't get a real big rot problem later

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
... I figure for the more bumpy roads they must help?
Without a doubt. Loosen the rear tie downs when on the bumpy roads, it will take some of the stress off of the cab over.

Wayne