cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

over tightened tension bars

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
I let my daughter and son in law borrow my new trailer/truck combo. Fully checked out on hitching, or so I thought. When it came back the wdh tension bars were latched at a severe angle (not level with the frame of the trailer as usual). Immediatley raised tongue and release/reset to proper number of links hanging free.

He re hitched on a rough site, tension bars were put up by hand to the too high position (strong guy!)

Question: Could there be any repercussions on the hitch assembly, trailer frame or truck hitch/frame, or am I worrying about nothing?

Ralph
10 REPLIES 10

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
No damage done and in fact I'm thinking that if he was able to put them on by hand maybe you are the one not hitching correctly.

There are stickies in the towing section on how to correctly set-up a WDH.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF the back tires of the TV were still on the ground. No worries.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's virtually impossible to do any damage to the truck or trailer with a set of WDH bars. Think about this, the user attached the bars by himself. How big of a lever would you need to bend any part of the truck or trailer? It would have to be over 20' long and it is doubtful it would bend anything, rather only raise something.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
You're good. No worries.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It didn't hurt anything.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:
---When it came back the wdh tension bars were latched at a severe angle (not level with the frame of the trailer as usual).---
We have no way of knowing if the "severe angle" really was severe.
The bars being "not level with the frame" will not necessarily cause any overloading.
The real concern is how many chain links were under tension.
With too few links under tension, the fore/aft movement of the bar end during a turn is restricted and could overload the chain lift device.

I would say that, if the TV was not noticeably low in front and not noticeably high in rear, there probably was no overloading involved.

Ron

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it was so severe that it caused metal fatigue and failure, I highly doubt there was any damage.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
The number of links you take depends on how much weight you want to transmit. That varies from setup to setup and even how your truck/trailer are loaded. You probably have a "normal" for your setup, but that could change depending on your load. You have nothing to worry about, truck, or trailer.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...hubby isn't here to ask but I am thinking, could this not have done damage to the truck frame since the back of the truck would be too high ?!

Mike_LA
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:

Question: Could there be any repercussions on the hitch assembly, trailer frame or truck hitch/frame, or am I worrying about nothing?

Ralph

I drought you'll have any problems.
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/LBZ Duramax
2017 Hyper Lite XLR 26HFS

Previous Trailers:
2003 Aerolite 24RK
2006 Rockwood 3115SS TT
2006 Rockwood 8283SS FW
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24E
2012 Sunnybrook 26FBS