Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
73 REPLIES 73

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Ram doesnโ€™t make a DRW short bed in a crew cab.

actualy the do, My niebour has one. I didn't think they did either. I am not sure if it was a custom order or what, it was his brothers that came with the new artic fox camper when he passed. I was interested in buying the camper but when I went to look at it I found ou it was a short box model.

Steve

Bionic is correct!

Mine is a CREW it has 4 doors in a normal cab. The Mega Cab has the same doors and a lot more cab behind the rear doors. You neighbor has a MegaCab if it is a short bed DRW.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Ram doesnโ€™t make a DRW short bed in a crew cab. And the minimum payload in a DRW in 2020 was over 6800 pounds. Iโ€™d like to hear more about what happened leading up to the failure.

Do you mean maximum? To get 6,800# payload would need to gas tradesman. My 2016 3500 DRW Laramie has a payload 5,411#.

As the topic has been mentioned before "payload" is based on 14k GVWR that is only for insurance and licensing purposes to keep the truck in class 3. License the truck to cover what the 6 tires has on the ground and you have a HE!! of a lot more "payload" than what you mentioned, oh yea and SAE rated.

FAWR is SAE 6k and RAWR is SAE 9,750#. Truck has PLENTY of tested capacity for that camper. The truck did NOT break for no reason.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
bucky wrote:
@Time2Roll The interweb says that a tope is excessive alcohol consumption. What did you mean to type?
If the truck wasn't bought new I'd say it's a salt water flood victim.

Speed bumps in Mexico are called Topes.

The difference is they are 2-3 times higher and extremely abrupt compared to speed bumps in the USA.

Hit one at 60mph and expect damage.

YES they are INSANE!!! My thoughts for sure or the drilled frame option for the supports.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Looks like there's a whole lot of truck camper hanging off the end of the truck. Maybe a short bed truck, and a long bed camper with 3 slides? Baja California, so add in some rough roads.

Sure looks like thereโ€™s a lot of panel in front of the rear wheels for a SB ??

At least the way I see it, it looks like a long bed

Good eye Brother, it's a LONG bed.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geo*Boy wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
EC 1165 dry weight 4917lbs

Lots and lots of heavy options, big water tanks (-150 gal fresh, grey, black), etc, etc.

Definitely OVERLOADED!!

Are you kidding??? I have 6k pin weight and that places me right at my SAE RAWR of 9,750#. NOT hardly overloaded at all.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Looks like there's a whole lot of truck camper hanging off the end of the truck. Maybe a short bed truck, and a long bed camper with 3 slides? Baja California, so add in some rough roads.

Short bed DRW gets the MegaCab body, it's a long bed truck.

Would like to know what you went over prior to this happening???

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

actualy the do, My niebour has one. I didn't think they did either. I am not sure if it was a custom order or what, it was his brothers that came with the new artic fox camper when he passed. I was interested in buying the camper but when I went to look at it I found ou it was a short box model.

Steve

Maga cab, not a Crew Cab. Look behind the rear door windows for an extra 6+ inches of body.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Sure looks like thereโ€™s a lot of panel in front of the rear wheels for a SB ??

At least the way I see it, it looks like a long bed

I believe the Maga cab dually is the only short bed model available.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Not a short bed and wth is a tope?
It broke. Either defective or the owner got too western with almost 3 tons in the bed down there in Baja. Just because the name says it, shouldnโ€™t drive like a trophy truckโ€ฆ
But the supposition should be strong in this thread. Already on a rollโ€ฆ.

You should see the comments on the original Facebook post. This is amateur hour compared to that.

"Not overloaded." Sure. My bet is that truck has never seen a scale so the owner has no clue. It for sure per its manufacturer's ratings, is overloaded. Maybe not by truck camper owner standards, but by Fiat's.

This is one where the manufacturer may just take everything and have it weighed and deny warranty. Too bad we will never know.

Shouldn't this be in TC's anyway? This truck is not towing anything.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Bionic Man wrote:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Ram doesnโ€™t make a DRW short bed in a crew cab. And the minimum payload in a DRW in 2020 was over 6800 pounds. Iโ€™d like to hear more about what happened leading up to the failure.

Do you mean maximum? To get 6,800# payload would need to gas tradesman. My 2016 3500 DRW Laramie has a payload 5,411#.

The chart I found in a quick search did in fact limit the trim to Tradesman (although the gas has a higher payload, the CTD Aisin is what I quoted). I canโ€™t find anything for higher trim levels, but regardless, the photo above wouldnโ€™t be caused by just the load of the camper (regardless of brand of modern DRW truck was under it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Looking at it from a physics standpoint. With a lot of rear overhang and a lot of front overhang, simply driving down the highway will cause a "rocking" front to rear of that weight, centered over the rear axle. That would cause the frame to bend slightly up and down in the middle with every "rock". But even slightly over a period of years will cause metal fatigue, and eventual weakness. And enough and it will finally break.

That is not the first picture posted of trucks with large campers breaking in half like that. Would be interesting to know how many miles it had on it lugging that camper around.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bucky wrote:
@Time2Roll The interweb says that a tope is excessive alcohol consumption. What did you mean to type?

Speed bumps in Mexico are called Topes.

The difference is they are 2-3 times higher and extremely abrupt compared to speed bumps in the USA.

Hit one at 60mph and expect damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS