cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parking on inclined driveway

erdvm1
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway is a decent incline. Hard to say the grade. What's the steepest grade to safely park a trailer in a driveway (in your opinion) Also, what safety advice would you give while parking an unhitched trailer on a step-ish driveway. Please feel free to be obvious. I dont want to overlook anything. Thanks so much. I dont have many pictures with links. Heres the best I have

One pic of driveway

another

last one
9 REPLIES 9

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I use quarter round sections of firewood in front of the tires and use a swift kick to seat them.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Use good wheel chocks (correctly) and you can park on any incline you can drive on. May not be able to run the fridge though.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
never mind the driveway, what is that nasty white stuff by it?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
Your driveway looks very much like mine. I have always stuck the yellow plastic tire chocks in front of wheel let the truck roll forward slightly to engage the chocks and call it good.
My driveway is steep enough that I have to place boards under the tongue jack so it will crank high enough to level trailer and I have never felt unsafe.
Our last driveway was steeper, although we only had a pop-up then, we did the same thing.
Ryan
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

erdvm1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much
kodiak 172E 2014
Single axle
3500 lbs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been in worst CG sites then that :B

X-chocks between tires and wheel chocks in front of tires (BOTH sides)

No running fridge unless you level trailer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I use a variation of what TusconJim posted along with regular tire chocks. I like the mechanical lock between the tires and mine can be padlocked in place.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
erdvm1 wrote:
My driveway is a decent incline. Hard to say the grade. What's the steepest grade to safely park a trailer in a driveway (in your opinion) Also, what safety advice would you give while parking an unhitched trailer on a step-ish driveway. Please feel free to be obvious. I dont want to overlook anything. Thanks so much. I dont have many pictures with links. Heres the best I have

One pic of driveway

another

last one

I can not really tell from the pictures how steep your driveway is. My guess is over a 20 foot length, if it drops only about 10", you will be fine, with 1/2" per foot drop. Much more than 10" drop, you will still be OK, but will require extra large tire chocks. My suggestion is 4X6 cut at 45 degrees to get the chock under the tire weight, and it should not roll over the block.

I parked my motorhome in a site once where I had to lift the front tires more than 8". I think it was something like 10 - 12" off the ground on my 2X10 lifting blocks. I have layers of 2X10 screwed together so they are stable, and 4 layers high (6" each ramp, and I was using two at once). Anyway it was safe, because the RV became level, and I had a 4X4 block under the rear tire.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You don't specify what kind of rig you're parking, but if you have tandem wheels, use something like X-chocks. I use them on pretty steep grades with my 13K# fifth wheel and I've never had an issue.

X-chocks
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)