cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Permanently attached tent ends when did this happen

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
What year or when did Hybrid manufactures start having the tent end permanently attached to the bunk ends? We out looking and noticed that a 2014 had the end permanently attached to the bunk ends. I thought this was a great design. No more Velcroing the bottom of the tent to the bunk ends. Seemed an improvement in Hybrid design and Hybrid setup. Just drop the end drop and drop the mattress down.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.
11 REPLIES 11

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Pups are unattached. Kids fall out all the time. Beds fail. Whatever. Starcraft was using bunk end support on the travel stars and antiquas up to the end. Padlin and I have the travel star sports. Narrow body, leaf springs, and generous payload.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
I think this started after several instances of children falling out by going between the tent material and the floor.

I was concerned about that with my 6 and 4 yr old. Worst thing so far has been a water sippy cup. We use normal fitted bed sheets and tuck them in really well on the outside edge.
2011 Acadia AWD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
Me, wife, daughter (7), daughter (5), son (1)

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 Starcraft has permanently attached tenting, easy as pie to close up and no trouble with rain.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Starcraft. Has permanently attached tenting. The world does not revolve around forest river.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
I think this started after several instances of children falling out by going between the tent material and the floor.

Yep happened to us in our 2007 hybrid, our son fell out one night and came knocking on the door to get back in. Part of the reason we got rid of our hybrid. That was 2011 and a couple manufacturers were just starting to attach them permanently then.

So to answer your question, I would say maybe starting in 2010 - 2011 is when this changed?
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
But wouldn't they be a real pain to fold up?

On the other hand, no condensation or rainwater could get into the camper as long as your windows were zipped up, so that would be an improvement.

In looking at them at shows, I did notice that some models can only unzip the windows from the outside now- which I thought was really dumb!

tll
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Jayco X23J had the permanently attached bed ends. Since we were upgrading from a pop up, that was a big selling point, less to set up. Didn't know that they were previously unattached when we purchased the trailer.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:

X2 - there was a discussion here about that, and the next year Jayco came out with fully attached bunk ends. (I seem to recall they were first, but maybe not?)

It was a concern for us when we first got this trailer - we put adults on the end of the bunk. Now the kids are old enough (and big enough) that it's much less of a concern.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a 1970's something slide in camper, and it had a expanding back wall, that when open had tent sidewalls, and a bed in the back. The wall stayed attached at the top, the bottom swung out about 3 feet. So the solid sidewall (or rearwall as it was) kept the people inside dry.

Then in 2004, I started seeing rear beds that slid out of the back of a small lightweight travel trailer. Later I even saw some with solid walls that slid out over the hitch. Sort of a manual slide out room, but it slid out the front or back, on certain models.

Then some had tent sides, so that they are lighter, and less complex, easier to install and perhaps easy to set up? Personally I think that solid sidewalls are easier to set up and put away. You have no worries about putting them away wet and mold starting on the canvas. . ..

Have you looked at ALiner.com They have a solid sidewall and solid roof that pop up to give up to 7' of headroom!

I wish that Aliner made a truck camper, with it's unique roof system running front to back, with 5' wide panels the length of the camper (up to about 12 or 14' long) that would fold up and meet in the middle, giving plenty of headroom above the cab.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, long awaited improvement.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19