cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickup bed delete or cab chassis (C&C)?

CO-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, exploring the idea of putting a truck camper on a custom flatbed, something like a SherpTek so I can get more storage. I'll be ordering my 3500 DRW new but trying to decide on the standard 3500 dually with pick-up bed delete option or a 3500 cab and chassis DRW. Anyone have any opinion on this?

Both have a GVWR of 14,000. Not sure if licensing, registering, and insuring a C&C presents some hurdles as it won't be for business but for personal use. I'm in Colorado.

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

Bedlam
I have had to explain the above to people, but you did a better job.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
If you take a good look at a c&c truck and take some measurements I think you will find that the axle bump stops will prevent the wheels from ever going above the truck frame so there is really no need for a hump above the flatbed unless you have oversized wheels/tires . You just have to watch the flatbed framing so the wheels have a pocket under the deck . The narrower axle on the c&c is the same width as a srw pickup so you can also convert to srw by removing the dually spacers on the front hubs and use srw wheels .

If one side of the axle is in full contact with its bump stop while the opposite side of the axle is furthest away from its bump stop, then the outer shoulder of the tire furthest outboard on the side of the axle in full contact with the bump stop will be higher than the frame.

The axle and tire assembly is a rigid straight line approximately 94" long inclusive of the outer tires in a chassis cab dually, with a radius of 47" from an assumed central pivot point at the pinion.

The chassis cab frame is 34" wide web to web, with the bump stops under slung on the lower flange... so let's call the initial contact point of taper tipped bump stops 1" inboard from the web, supported by a 3" wide flange. Hence, the radius of the initial contact point of the bump stops is 16".

We can make a horizontally level example stick that is 47" long, painted with bright marks at 0", 16", and 47".

We can place this stick on a table that is pushed up against a wall, where the wall has vertical measuring marks on it in one inch increments, where 0" is table height, and 6" is as high as we need to measure.

We can then move our stick on the table such that the 16" mark on the stick aligns with the vertical measuring line on the wall.

If we anchor this stick to the table at the 0" mark on the stick, and fix our gaze at the 16" mark on the stick that coincides with the 0" mark on the wall, while raising the unanchored end of the stick up until the 16" mark is about 5" above the table... how high will the 47" end of the stick be?

5" approximates the maximum axle travel available between the axle and the bump stops. In an extreme twist ditch maneuver, such as what may be encountered crossing a drainage gully over a fire road, one side of the axle may be all the way down in the ditch, while the other side of the axle is compressed all the way up on an embankment.

The 62" difference in width, or 31" difference in radius, between the bump stop versus the outboard edge of the tire (that itself is 16" higher perpendicularly to the axial center of the straight line), dictates that the outer ends of the tires can extend higher than the tops of the frame rails when one end of the axle is in full jounce while the other end of the axle is in full rebound.

Body building guides available from the chassis cab manufacturers recommend making allowances for this.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
CO-traveler wrote:
I like the idea of stepping up to 4500 or 5500 CC but I'm getting a GM product (I have a rewards credit card) and their 4500 is just too big for my little driveway and being a daily driver. It's the size of the old Top Kicks or Kodiak. I guess they call that a medium duty.

At this point I'm going either CC or a regular pickup bed dually. Not messing with the bed delete as it just takes away too many packages and options from my build. I went and talked to the fleet sales manager at the local Chevy dealership and he mentioned something about not being able to deliver it to me without some sort of upfitter bed as it would be considered an "incomplete vehicle". So, not sure how that would work as the 2 upfitters I'm looking at are both in Oregon (I'm in Colorado).

If it still turns like the Kodiak. Your can turn around with one. Where the 3500's had to do a 4 point turn. I still have a 2005 Kodiak C5500 with 5.9 cummins and 6 speed Allison trans. But can't fit a truck camper on it. Top of the cab to bed is 56".
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
If you take a good look at a c&c truck and take some measurements I think you will find that the axle bump stops will prevent the wheels from ever going above the truck frame so there is really no need for a hump above the flatbed unless you have oversized wheels/tires . You just have to watch the flatbed framing so the wheels have a pocket under the deck . The narrower axle on the c&c is the same width as a srw pickup so you can also convert to srw by removing the dually spacers on the front hubs and use srw wheels .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were doing it Iโ€™d build a custom flatbed that had wheelwells, so the camper floor surface couid be set lower like with a pickup bed.
I wouldnโ€™t set my camper on a completely flat bed that has to be mounted all the way above the tires.
That just puts the camper too high up.

Thatโ€™s why I mentioned the pickup dually having the wider axle which gives you room to do that.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:

Thanks, I have been looking at GM's C&C page and have no intention of getting a 550/5500 under any circumstances. It's just complete and total overkill for me.

My aluminum bed F350 is more than enough to carry 7000 lb of camper and tow light boat. I only wish it would have option for longer CA for better stability.
Technology change fast in last years and Ford made huge difference going from steel to aluminum beds. When I was ordering my truck, most of forum advise was to modify the suspension and go with higher differential ratio. I had faith in new diesel engine and order lowest differential available. The beast was hauling 9000lb of cargo on 6% grades without dropping from overdrive and with 7000 lb camper my rear was still 2" higher than front.
Don't follow the competition, but I assume it is only matter of time they do the same.
Have fun making the choice.

CO-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of stepping up to 4500 or 5500 CC but I'm getting a GM product (I have a rewards credit card) and their 4500 is just too big for my little driveway and being a daily driver. It's the size of the old Top Kicks or Kodiak. I guess they call that a medium duty.

At this point I'm going either CC or a regular pickup bed dually. Not messing with the bed delete as it just takes away too many packages and options from my build. I went and talked to the fleet sales manager at the local Chevy dealership and he mentioned something about not being able to deliver it to me without some sort of upfitter bed as it would be considered an "incomplete vehicle". So, not sure how that would work as the 2 upfitters I'm looking at are both in Oregon (I'm in Colorado).

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
In response to the bed delete, my brother just got a Ford Tremor, special order with his options. The bed delete was obscenely cheap...as in zero credit to apply elsewhere. He kept it vs. flat bed by others.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Cab and chassis has flat frame (heavier) all the way back from the cab, and standard frame width, box delete has hump where the rear axle is. If you want to mount a deck, get the cab and chassis model, all manufactured decks will fit the frame. Check frame to cab height and build accordingly.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Noarp, one of my favorite rigs!
Havenโ€™t even used our new trailer save for driveway camping when it was 100deg in the house last week and Iโ€™m already planning/threatening to dump it for another TC!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
cptqueeg wrote:
^^^ Deck looks good but the steps look scary. Imagine coming down the steps in the dark with a little wet snow on them!!!

Why a 5500/550 vs a 4500/450?

Thatโ€™s just a TC thing. Tests your agilityโ€ฆ.
I used it as a cutoff pointโ€ฆIf I fell down the steps and spilt my cocktail, it was time to switch to water!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Higher GVW
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
^^^ Deck looks good but the steps look scary. Imagine coming down the steps in the dark with a little wet snow on them!!!

We used them all winter, several times in ice and snow. Those conditions haven't been a problem. What's the issue? Lack of a hand rail? They make one that attaches if you need one. And you could easily fabricate an upper mount that drops into a socket with some parts from the hardware store. We've never felt unsafe on them, so never even thought about it.

Same chassis, but better suspension on the 5500 so you'll never have to worry at all about it.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell