cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pictures of last trip 2014, Olympic Pennisula.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I raised our kids camping frequently from the time they were babies. Now both kids are in their second year of college, and both were home for the holidays. It had been a few years since we camped as a family, but our 2002 Wildcat Bunkhouse trailer continues to be our primary RV (we have a truck camper as well). So we took the opportunity to head out right after Christmas (my daughters idea) for a quick trip around the Olympic Peninsula. I just wanted to share some pictures from our trip, we were in the sun the whole trip, though overnight temperatures were in the low twenties.

Note to winter campers, always disconnect the water line from the hydrant at night, I didn't and the hose froze solid, as well as the frost proof hydrant, which in turn couldn't be shut off until it thawed out. Rookie mistake for for a veteran camper.

All the best in 2015, Hans

Arrived at Kalaloch (pronounced: clay-lock) and the Sun was reflecting off the clouds on the ocean making it look almost pink. Destruction Island way off in the distance.

First sunset on the Pacific Ocean.

Woke to freezing temperatures, 22 degrees, hard off shore wind blowing the wave spray off the top of the breakers. Telephoto shot makes Destruction Island look close.

This spruce tree is just trying to hang on in a bad situation.

Early morning walk on the beach. My wife with our corgi dog named Bentley, and my daughter who is attending engineering school in Fairbanks Alaska. For her a stroll on the beach at 32 degrees was not cold.

Now what made this Alder tree grow out of an old growth stump, and then grow 180 degrees right back into it and disappear?

Hiking trail to beach.

Second Beach, Quileute Nation, La Push WA.

Climbing atop a sea stack rock on the beach, yours truly.

Navigation Buoy way out in the ocean.

Sunset on the Straight of Juan De Fuca. Canada shore on the right hand side of picture.

Moonrise over our campsite.

Sunrise the next morning, same campsite as picture above, but looking north towards Vancouver Island B.C. in the distance.

Bald Eagle landed in a tree just above us on early morning hike.

My son, who is gong to college for a degree in natural resources.

Salt Creek Recreation Area. We stayed in the county camp ground with full winter hookups, but in the picture above across the bay is a very nice private RV park just behind the sandy beach. Both are wonderful RV destinations. In the summer these places are hard to get into, in the winter it's just a few of us diehards.

Blackball Ferry, sails from Port Angeles to Victoria and back several times a day. We've never driven on, but we have walked on and spent the day on foot and then returned to our trailer in the evening.

Mount Baker seen from pier in Port Angeles.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
25 REPLIES 25

offroad_x
Explorer
Explorer
Great post! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
2008 Fleetwood Mallard 26 RLS
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel, 4x4, 4 inch lift, 33 inch Falken Wildpeak tires

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
Lovely pictures, and the best part is that your kids suggested it. You must be doing something right!
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great photos. I live in Poulsbo and have been to all those place with my TT. Salt creek is nice. Thanks for sharing.
I have two Ft Flagler trips planned for this summer, you have to get reservations 9 months to the day for the summer months. It is difficult. I managed to get one right on the beach in August for this year.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos Hans. Good eye for composition and the technical details are right (focus, exposure, color etc). But if I may offer some criticism (hopefully taken constructively), the presence of the date stamp is distracting and IMO diminishes the quality of the photos.

Thanks for sharing just the same but perhaps you might consider disabling that "feature."
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures... Thanks for sharing.

TroyWa
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
Great pictures what a great family trip. A little weather trivia. Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches of rain per year. Seattle gets 38, and the US average is 37. Port Angeles is 15 miles from Sequim and gets 25, and La Push in the heart of the rain forest gets 99.

Neat facts. But the avg rain fall aint the rub. Its the 30 day runs of no sun that gets ya! We live right on the NW tip of main land WA. 2 hours N of Seattle on the border. I looks like we'll have to do a run to the peninsula soon after seeing them pics!

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill wrote:
Best part of the trip, IMO, it was suggested by your daughter....Priceless!!

It was a huge compliment, having grown children still want to spend close family time with parents. My wife and I purposely waited 6 years after marriage to start a family, and enjoyed camping just the two of us. Then enjoyed the kids growing and becoming independant, but it was really hard to go camping without them. Now it's just the two of us again (mostly) and we are looking forward to retirement soon and being snow birds ourselves. But I hope someday my kids and their partners will pursue the fun of RV'ing as we have.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JWF
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting in Michigan in front front of my wood burner, it's 8 degrees outside. It's been like this for 10 days. Thank You for the pictures I was just about ready to go nuts.
MichJoe
Roseville, Mich

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
HJGyswyt wrote:

Oh my, from Bremerton these three places I linked below are full hookup camp gounds even in the winter, and they are first come first serve in the winter. Easily a one tank trip, not much more than one to two hours drive.

And we fueled our diesel truck in Forks WA for only 2.87 a gallon, the absolute cheapest we've seen personally for diesel.

Fort Flagler
Salt Creek Recreation Area
Quileute Camp Ground, LaPush

Please forgive my rudeness, thank you for the links.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, :C Thanks for sharing
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Quileute CG is one of our favorites whenever we can get to the Peninsula!! Also like to get to the John Wayne marina and CG in Sequim - right on the Bay!
We were in Sequim, in 2012 when the "Paddle' came in from the north for one night. Then we went to LaPush just in time for all of them, accompanied by the two Tall Ships, came in for a 3 day rest/ceremonies! A great few days!! All the open spaces in the Quileute CG were full of the paddlers and thier support folks in tents!!

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics, Hans. Many thanks for sharing. Best part of the trip, IMO, it was suggested by your daughter....Priceless!!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures what a great family trip. A little weather trivia. Sequim (zip 98382), WA, gets 17 inches of rain per year. Seattle gets 38, and the US average is 37. Port Angeles is 15 miles from Sequim and gets 25, and La Push in the heart of the rain forest gets 99.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Redterpos3 wrote:
Yup, enjoyed pics. My mom is from Port Angeles, and nice to see a few of the area. I was there long ago visiting Grandmother. Hope to go back some day!

Don't wait too long. I was back to WA to see my dad last April for the first time in 16 years. We have been in touch over the years and he has visited us in San Diego but now that we are better able (raising a family and all) I'm gonna try my best (God willing) to get up there every year. Dad is in great health but he is almost 80 now! Beautiful place to visit too!
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon