cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pioneer 19t4 TT water tank problem

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Pioneer 19t4 by fleetwood Travel trailer with the 50 gal. fresh water tank. I cannot seem to locate this in the TT forum.
Mine starts to pull air when the tank gets to 1/3 rd. full. Above that level it pulls water just fine. I've changed the outlet fitting from the tank and the hose to the pump. This did not solve the problem. Any info as to a fix?? Thanks Shep.
Shep in Denver
11 REPLIES 11

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Plumbed new from the drain on the tank. 3/4" to a 3/4x1/2x3/4 tee then to a drain valve at the side of the trailer, (Very convenient). Ran the 1/2 off the tee up to just above the floor (sealing the bottom entry) and then 90 degree with hose barb and hose to strainer and pump. Works very well. I pluged the outlet at the top of the tank, I believe the tank is vented through the small hose next to the fill line. Wife and I did an overnighter with four granddaughters and had no problems with the water system. All seems well.
Shep in Denver

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Sheps wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
If the outlet is on the side of the tank that is the problem. The pump will suck air when the water drops to the top of the fitting. Maybe you can tee into the tank drain.

The outlet is on the side at the very upper front road side corner of the tank. That seem like it would require a pickup tube inside the tank that extends to the bottom of the tank.
I like the idea of teeing off of the drain. Just a few fittings and some hose and a plug for the top fitting. I would have to route the hose back up through the floor to the pump. Mabe run hard pipe to above the frame or the floor, then change to the hose. I guess for protection, then seal the new floor entry.
Do you think the pump will pull water this extra distance? It's a Surflo pump I believe.

There is no problem with the pump pulling it. I do think that the pipe at the top is just a vent, don't know. Can you trace that line and see where it goes?

There is a 1/2" pipe x 1/2 hose barb fitting in it and the pump hose connects to the fitting to pull water from the tank.
Shep in Denver

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I guess you could also install a screw out deck plate into the top of the tank near the outlet and see what's going on.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Sheps wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
If the outlet is on the side of the tank that is the problem. The pump will suck air when the water drops to the top of the fitting. Maybe you can tee into the tank drain.

The outlet is on the side at the very upper front road side corner of the tank. That seem like it would require a pickup tube inside the tank that extends to the bottom of the tank.
I like the idea of teeing off of the drain. Just a few fittings and some hose and a plug for the top fitting. I would have to route the hose back up through the floor to the pump. Mabe run hard pipe to above the frame or the floor, then change to the hose. I guess for protection, then seal the new floor entry.
Do you think the pump will pull water this extra distance? It's a Surflo pump I believe.

There is no problem with the pump pulling it. I do think that the pipe at the top is just a vent, don't know. Can you trace that line and see where it goes?

My Pioneer has the same tank scenario, and has the same problem. I think I may have caused mine when I added a tank heater and insulation to mine. I too am considering tapping off the drain location. These tanks are easy to remove and reinstall, at least in these Pioneers.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Sheps wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Shep in Denver

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
Boband4 wrote:
Is it possible that the pickup has a hose in the tank and the end has curled so it is a few inches above the bottom of the tank?

Thats what I'm thinking. I just don't understand how that could happen after 8 0r 9 years of operating rather well. Also it would seem that there is no access to the pickup tube inside the tank, is that correct? If there is, where would it be located?
Thanks Sheps.
Shep in Denver

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible that the pickup has a hose in the tank and the end has curled so it is a few inches above the bottom of the tank?

Sheps
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about that. I cleaned the contacts at the tank and still the same. when I drain the tank at the 1/3 level it's real close to 15-16 gals.
Shep in Denver

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are reading the water level by using the lights they ate notoriously inaccurate.