cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

portable grey waste disposal cart

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Scamp 16 ft with 2 6 water holding tanks. I would like to be able to drain the grey water occasionally but could only find huge, heavy carts you have to hook up and dump conventionally. Any suggestions? Thanks! Kathy
29 REPLIES 29

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
I don't plan to lift the tote/cart at all; I plan to hitch it to the ball of the SUV and dump it. Now, if CA starts charging $10 for every dump, I'll have to go to Plan B. But this all is really just a backup. At our age we are staying at more full hookups, and the 16 ft Scamp is really too small to stay in for more than 4 nights without hookups.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 6gal tote. I can lift it just as easily as a 5gal bucket. When filled, it is more securely closed than a bucket.

That was why I asked. Sure the big totes aren't liftable, but you can get smaller totes.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

Why couldn't you do the same with the rolling cart?

Weight?

35 lbs is manageable for most people.

The 11 gallon tote the OP bought becomes 80 lbs, which is manageable for some, but not for all.

Those 20 gallon totes? No way at 150 lbs that thing is getting put in the bed...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up with the Tote-N-Stor 25606 Portable Waste Transport - 11 Gallon Capacity ( thank you Raleigh metro for your comment about the wheels; helped me make a decision!) and also bought the designated sewer hose, etc.

Thank you to everyone who commented in it all was extremely helpful. This forum is the best.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We bought a little 6 gallon tote and store off amazon. Small enough for my wife or I to pick up and put in the SUV and deal with it a facility. We also have a small trailer with small tanks.

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
I found an 11 gal tote and I'll get the designated dump hoses and a simple bar to hook to the wheels and place over the ball of my SUV. The tote is shallow enough to strap to the back of our little trailer behind the bikes. I had to laugh at the plastic wheels smoking! This tote has pretty fat wheels, but good to remember they ARE plastic.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 35 gallon tote that I found out 2 months ago in FL is higher than the waste outlet on our newer 5Er. We hauled it around for 2800 miles for no reason. Somebody around here will want it.
We usually stay in state and federal parks with dump stations and with huge waste tanks we can go 9-10 days with frugal water use. If we're going to stay longer it's easier to just haul the coach to the dump on the 7th day and put it back on the site.
The totes can get very heavy and the dump is usually way out by the exit. I see some folks going by every day with a little tote and smoke coming off of the plastic wheels.
Puma 30RKSS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
lane hog wrote:
That inability to dump reliably is where the 5 gallon bucket approach comes in handy compared to the rolling cart...

Worst case, they stay in the bed of the truck until I get home and can dump them out on my own land.

Why couldn't you do the same with the rolling cart?

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
That inability to dump reliably is where the 5 gallon bucket approach comes in handy compared to the rolling cart...

Worst case, they stay in the bed of the truck until I get home and can dump them out on my own land.

Eek! That would be OK if we had a truck. Buckets swishing around (even with tight lids )in the back of my Honda Passport would be unnerving! You are fortunate to have a truck - and land to dump it in :-).

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of the federal forests campgrounds where I camp liesurely don't have dump sites - for those I take my clipper with tanks big enough to last 14-16 days and then dump at home.

For sightseeing trips, I use the trailer. So far, I haven't had a problem. National parks have dump stations, and as said above, I can just dump the tote on my way to see the sights. Otherwise, I just plan on an overnight at an RV park every 4-6 days so I can dump and refill onsite.

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we're fortunate here in California as most state and federal campgrounds do have dump stations. Makes me rethink whining about having to pay a fee!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
eastbaygal123 wrote:
Thank you,ToedToes. I was just wondering about that. I would never dump grey water on the ground, or in a pit toilet. I might be better off getting one of those simple containers that have 2 wheels and a handle and just wheeling it to the dump site.

Dump site? Many State and Forest Service campgrounds around here have no such facility, and pouring your waste water into the vault toilets is against the rules.
That is why the tote that I bought lived under the work bench out in the shop for many years, until I sold it for $15 in a garage sale! When the nearest dump station is 5 to 50 miles away, that tote was useless.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

eastbaygal123
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote: