cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with trailer brakes

Rover1
Explorer
Explorer
We used our trailer this weekend and it seems only one side of he brakes, is primarily engaging. The right side seems to be doing most of the work and when I hit the brakes, I noticed the right wheels seems to skid easily (on gravel road). What would you recommend as the next steps to figure this out? I did turn down the brake controller and it seemed to help, but I don't thin this is the answer. Also, this is a new trailer for us (2012 model and only the second time I have pulled this trailer).

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't skimp on the brakes. If you're having issues now if time to inspect. Get the wheels off the ground, remove the tires and drums. Clean & inspect that everything is in working condition and then adjust the brake so that all wheels apply pressure evenly.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
First check for wiring problems - broken or bad connections. If wiring is good with power to all wheels then check the brake adjustment. If these fail then it is time to pull hubs and see what is happening. My money would be on the wiring since the problem is on one side.

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
If you pull the drums and inspection / adjustment yield no results here is a good page on checking the electrical portion...
LINK
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Have an assistant manually apply the trailer brakes while you walk around the trailer. You should be able to hear a humming noise coming from each wheel. If no noise from one wheel, inspect wiring and connections, remove wheel and drum if necessary to locate problem.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Not all drum brakes have a shorter shoe, but if they do that shoe goes in the front.

I'm betting you have an adjustment problem, but you should probably pull the drums first to verify that nothing else is wrong.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Rover1 wrote:
...What would you recommend as the next steps to figure this out....

Lift the trailer.
Remove all wheels.
Remove all drums.
Inspect and service all brakes.

You can do one at a time if it is easier for you.

Might as well get new seals and service the wheel bearings at the same time.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had the same problem. One set of shoes was installed wrong (Dealer installed). The lining on one shoe is shorter then the other. Off hand I don't know which is which, but you have to make sure the short lining shoe is installed on the correct side of the drum. You can google it from dexter.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Lift each tire (1 at a time with a jack placed under the spring perch on the axle). While the tire is in the air, spin it then you or a helper can hit the controller override lever to engage the trailer brakes. This will show you if you have one or more brakes that are not functioning. This will most likely not show a 'weak' brake, but will show one that isn't working at all.

Now that you know which brake(s) is not functioning, you can go more in depth to find out the reason why (adjustment issue, faulty wiring, bad magnet, contamination, ect).
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You need to pull the drums and see what is going on. Chances are that grease is leaking onto the drums.

J_L_Rivera
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do an inspection , and then an adjustment.
Lake Front Property
2007 Itasca Spirit 31C
2008 Crestliner 1800 Super Hawk

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a broken spring. It can also be a wiring issue. Check the wires going to the back of the brake backing plate on the left side. The splice may have come loose. I also had a rodent problem and rats had chewed through the wires on my coach.

If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the splice when someone hits the brakes to see if you're getting current flow. If you have current to the splice, you'll need to pull the wheel and drum to see if something mechanical is wrong.