Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressive industries surge protection hookup

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.
I know many have use surge protection without any theft. I on the other hand sometimes have what we call bad luck. So I am looking for a way to secure my PI protection just in case.
My thought is a lock box under the trailer.
My question is this. Does anyone know if it is ok to go from the poll to an extension cord, to the lock box which will be under my trailer, to the trailer cord?

I can then secure the lockbox to the trailer.

Not full proof, but better than nothing.

Thanks,
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
4 REPLIES 4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I kept my SP in a basement compartment, ran a short cord from RV input fitting to basement, then a standard 30 amp cord from there to pole. on my TT without a basement I epoxied a padlock hasp to the back of the SP to lock a cable to. those cord lock things are a joke IMHO. just will assure your cord gets stolen also or cut.
bumpy

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I use a short piece of chain and a combination lock. Wrap the chain around the power pedestal with the door open, hook the lock to the tab on the EMS and through the links in the chain as tight as I can get it. Then turn it on and close the pedestal door. The chain is tight enough the unit can't be slipped up and over since the pedestal door is in the way. Can the chain be cut? Sure, but it would keep a casual theft at bay. No issues of any kind in over 5 years full time use. I also keep a piece of duct tape over the EMS flashing LED. It keeps from advertising itself at night.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
Does anyone know if it is ok to go from the poll to an extension cord, to the lock box which will be under my trailer, to the trailer cord?

I can then secure the lockbox to the trailer.

Sure, and running it next to the camper makes sense but putting it in a lock box that itself is locked to the trailer is way overkill. I run a hard wire EMS-HW30C but if I were using a portacle EMS-PT30C I'd hang this Camco 30A > 30A Adapter off the side of the trailer, plug the EMS into it, and run an extension out to the campsite power post ... hard to imagine anyone would bother sneaking up to the camper just to run off with my EMS. In your case, because your main service cable is hard wired to the trailer, I'd cut that cable back so it's just long enough to reach the underside of the slide, hang the EMS from the underside of the slide to keep it off the ground and protected from the elements, and run an extension from there out to the campsite power post. Easy. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
no different those with the SP installed in the RV.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+