cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane regulator leaking

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
So it appears our propane regulator is leaking. Our Jayco is only 9 months old. I pulled the faulty one off but I can't get the brass fitting loose from the regulator. Of course no place carries this item, and our local camping world is closed for the holiday. Would this be considered a warranty item? How long should one of these things last?
I got here as quick as I could.
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, sometimes it's just easier to buy the part and make the repair yourself. Making life easier works for me too. :C
Tnx for the follow up, glad it worked out for you.

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
Well as it turns out, it would be covered under warranty. If I wanted to take it to the dealer, and let them determine if it's faulty, then they could "ask" Jayco for a replacement, etc...So I just ordered another regulator from Amazon for 32 bucks. It wasn't an exact match, but it works. Hot water and heat for the New Year! Life is good
I got here as quick as I could.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
bobndot wrote:
When you do replace it, buy a spare for $50 or so, you can always use it on the next RV as well as an inexpensive water pump.
IMO, it's not a lot of money and money well spent that can be used on other rv's down the road.

Do you keep a "spare" engine or transmission for your vehicle, or a spare furnace, RV fridge, A/C for your RV?

Pretty much EVERY Home Depot and Lowes CARRIES spare replacement LP gas regulators for gas grills not only in the summer but winter.

In a pinch, you can get away with a gas grill regulator, granted you lose the dual tank change over and they may have a bit lower BTU rating, but that is better than nothing and no need to carry an entire camper full of "spare" parts..

On edit..

Tractor Supply, Rural King are typically open 7 days a week and DO carry various propane parts and accessories not to mention pretty much any wholesale/retail propane seller with some sort of store front should be able to fix the OP up..

Sadly, while it is a warranty item at only 9 months old sometimes you will have to bypass the RV dealer to get things done in a timely fashion..

I camp in places not near any stores, often in below zero temps.
It works for me, if you don't like the idea, then don't do it.

AND I once again point out the obvious.. Do YOU keep redundant spare parts like an engine, transmission, furnace and so on?

Sure, you can load up your camper with bunches of misc "spare" parts for those "just in case" moments.. But really, it is not practical to buy, store and haul bunches of redundant parts..

Where does one "draw the line"?

Sure, it is a $50 part but in reality unless one is more than a days drive to a store one way it is silly to tell someone to buy and store an extra regulator..

I have been to some rather backwoods places in VT, had no problem locating some place to buy parts within 1hr drive one way..

Yeah, having something like a regulator quit in the middle of the night stinks but so does having the furnace quit..

Sometimes when MR Murphy visits your campsite he will OFTEN break the things that you do not have a redundant backup for and you must interrupt your backwoods adventure creating a SMALL inconvenience..

I HIGHLY doubt that MOST folk (including the OP) would ever end up needing to use a "spare" regulator.. My previous TT still had the ORIGINAL regulator on it when I sold it and that trailer was 25yrs old when I sold it..

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
bobndot wrote:
When you do replace it, buy a spare for $50 or so, you can always use it on the next RV as well as an inexpensive water pump.
IMO, it's not a lot of money and money well spent that can be used on other rv's down the road.

Do you keep a "spare" engine or transmission for your vehicle, or a spare furnace, RV fridge, A/C for your RV?

Pretty much EVERY Home Depot and Lowes CARRIES spare replacement LP gas regulators for gas grills not only in the summer but winter.

In a pinch, you can get away with a gas grill regulator, granted you lose the dual tank change over and they may have a bit lower BTU rating, but that is better than nothing and no need to carry an entire camper full of "spare" parts..

On edit..

Tractor Supply, Rural King are typically open 7 days a week and DO carry various propane parts and accessories not to mention pretty much any wholesale/retail propane seller with some sort of store front should be able to fix the OP up..

Sadly, while it is a warranty item at only 9 months old sometimes you will have to bypass the RV dealer to get things done in a timely fashion..

I camp in places not near any stores, often in below zero temps.
It works for me, if you don't like the idea, then don't do it.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:

On edit..

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II