cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane regulator leaking

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
So it appears our propane regulator is leaking. Our Jayco is only 9 months old. I pulled the faulty one off but I can't get the brass fitting loose from the regulator. Of course no place carries this item, and our local camping world is closed for the holiday. Would this be considered a warranty item? How long should one of these things last?
I got here as quick as I could.
4 REPLIES 4

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have had one go bad too. Marshal Brass brand at the time. It was on our prior camper and lasted about 2 years and it would no longer regulate correctly. The set pressure would go low and trying to adjust it, it would not stay stable, so out it went. That said, we changed campers since. This current camper has the original regulator from when the TT was built in Nov 2003 and still going strong.

These RV regulators are made cheap. Most are non repairable. They are not made like a LP regulator used on a home that can last decades, and also cost a lot more. Some RV regulators have a short life, others a long time.

In my book, 9 months is not right and should be under warranty. Jayco I thought had a 2 year warranty but do not know what it all entails. You did not say where it was leaking. If it was leaking out the vent, odds are high it's a pin hole of sorts in the diaphragm. I had a RV stove regulator leak like that. That was what ever brand Atwood uses on the stove tops.

As was stated, it is good idea to have the set pressure checked. They will be set out of the box, but one never knows... Any gas service person can check it and do a pressure drop leak test and regulator lock up test at the same time.

Good luck.

John

PS. Odds are high the brass fittings in the end will not come out without damage. Whatever thread sealant they use really bonds the brass to the aluminum. And as the other poster stated, most new regulators come with new fitting in them if you select the type with the inverted flares. They sell then straight NPT and with the brass flare fittings.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced mine earlier this year. So that is about 14 years.

I would take the part into the dealer and see what they say if they are close. Otherwise, just order on Amazon and call it good.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
That fitting is an inverted flair and will come with the new regulator.
I recommend Cavagna brand if you have a choice. (amazon)

Yes warranty but good luck now that you messed with it.
Should last a decade but not all do.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
If you have only had the unit for 9 mos. I am 99% sure that it is a warranty item,
most if replaced also needs to be checked with a manometer to be sure they are putting 11" water column output too for the reefer, heater etc. to work properly...
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game