cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question about a Propane tank I had filled. I watched the guy fill it. It was empty and he put 4 gallons in. When I picked it up it much lighter than I expected. I mentioned it to him and we looked at the gauge which of course said 4 gallons. I loaded and paid for it. It ran out a lot faster then the last time I used it which was the two weeks before. It lasted 5 days with just the fridge on and the heater ran for probably 2 hours at the most each day. What happened? Do you think his tank was low and he was pumping air?
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 wrote:
fishing2 wrote:
1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons or propane in it.

With the OPD valves they only fill to 80 per cent , so 4 gallons is about right .

When you open the valve make sure is open all the way , sometimes a partially opened valve will leak slightly and use up the propane quicker .

A FULL (80%) 20lb propane cylinder IS 4.7 gallons (20 divided by 4.2 equals 4.76)

20lb is where bleeder will spew 'liquid'...which is also where OPD shuts off filling

30lb...7.2 gal (80%)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
fishing2 wrote:
1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds. A "full" 20 lb cylinder should have 4.7 gallons or propane in it.

With the OPD valves they only fill to 80 per cent , so 4 gallons is about right .

When you open the valve make sure is open all the way , sometimes a partially opened valve will leak slightly and use up the propane quicker .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

fishing2
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Dodge 3500 CTD,1987 34ft Terry Manor and 1990 Lance TC
Ham Radio N9LWE
US Navy veteran VA-65 1965-1969 USS Forrestal and USS Kitty Hawk

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Either that or his meter was not reset or off. Also, I think it makes a difference how much you can put in if you open the valve correctly on the tank.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member