cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 1500 rear coil spring upgrade?

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Like others with the Ram 1500's with the coil spring rear suspension. First thing I did is go out and by the airlift 1000 bags. But have yet to install them.

Recently found a company that makes HD coil springs for our trucks. Has any one tried these out?

Any thoughts as to which or a combination of parts would be better?
HD spring, HD spring w/air bag?
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
7 REPLIES 7

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW Looking forward to your updates. We had one construction owner who had the bigger variable rate Rhino springs for heavy bed loads & trailers with his 2014 ED. Used the truck for 100k. When he switched to a 2016 ED he went with the axle to frame bags.

They seem to be better at keeping weight on the steers and making the truck more stable and sure footed compared to the in coil bags. But they cost $350ish compared to $100 for the in coil bags. Timber Grove, Total Load Control & Air lift make them. You might ask Air lift tech support if they are worth the extra money since they sell both. In my experience they are.

Timbren also makes an axle to frame bag but its not air adjustable its a coil spring inside. Some like them for a real heavy load but not so much for a lighter load where it transitions on and off them harshly.

I have a lot of miles on my axle to frame air bags towing trailers and I highly recommend them for heavy bed and or tongue loads.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I added the TTC-1223v variable springs, and removed the Timbrens (which sucked). I actually lost about 1/2" of ride height in the rear, but it rides just like stock if not better. They are much heavier than the original springs. I have yet to tow or haul anything significant with them. I promise to post once I do.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
It's all in the hitch.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
I would airbag it....I actually did with my ram 1500 with the airlift 1000s. Gave me the added levelling help when I needed it and the car like drive when I wanted it.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
All the OEM ratings (GVWR, F/R GAWR, GCWR) all remain the same...these things
only help level the tongue/PIN weight on the TV

Handling will only be slightly helped, as the rest of the TV suspension,
Frame, Drive Train, etc are still the lower class in TV ratings
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't stiffening the springs just moving the weight problem someplace else?

Axle, other suspension parts, wheels, tires, brakes, only six small lug studs? oops! 5 lugs, my gm had six.

I added some foam spring helpers to my 1500, mainly to keep the suspension from bottoming out on steep driveway approaches while towing my little trailer. Sumo something or maybe super something? Got them from etrailer.com
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some search results from Ram1500Diesel.com

http://tinyurl.com/htarsxs

Me, when needed, going with the Timber Grove air springs. Easier install and great customer service.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized