Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 2500 DEF fluid

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am on tank of gas # 6 on my new to me truck and thrnDEF fluid gage has barely even moved

How long do you get on a tank of DEF fluid and how big is the reservoir?

Thanks
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
45 REPLIES 45

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting between 7500-8000 miles on a DEF tank on my '18 Ram. Less when towing.

Find a good truckstop that sells bulk DEF so you won't have to pay for the overpriced box stuff sold at stores. I'm paying about $2.50 a gallon there.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I had to put up with a truck that blew black smoke out the tail pipe in order to have a diesel I'd switch to gasoline.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Skidus1
Explorer
Explorer
I turn my recirculate on whenever Iโ€™m following an older PS or non dpf truck blowing smoke. Iโ€™ve been the one spewing smoke and try to avoid it now.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
My def gauge is bottomed out on Empty, and I never add any, but it runs GREAT. Will this hurt anything?
Oh wait! The exhaust is laying in my shop! And the truck runs like it should!!!!
Hahahahaha

Yup you're one of the ones that makes the world hate diesels.

PLEASE explain why. My Sonโ€™s truck runs VERY CLEAN.

I think the assumption is that most of them don't. Just too many people think its appropriate/necessary to roll coal. While there trade offs with the current emissions requirements, I for one appreciate not seeing black smoke billowing from trucks, as well as being able to follow behind a diesel and not have to turn my HVAC to "recirculate" to avoid the exhaust smell.

Bingo Bionic Man.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
My def gauge is bottomed out on Empty, and I never add any, but it runs GREAT. Will this hurt anything?
Oh wait! The exhaust is laying in my shop! And the truck runs like it should!!!!
Hahahahaha

I think the assumption is that most of them don't. Just too many people think its appropriate/necessary to roll coal. While there trade offs with the current emissions requirements, I for one appreciate not seeing black smoke billowing from trucks, as well as being able to follow behind a diesel and not have to turn my HVAC to "recirculate" to avoid the exhaust smell.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Hahahahaha

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

Hahahahaha

Drove my Sonโ€™s 15 3500 and letโ€™s just say scalded dog !!! For 9k it is FAST.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Hahahahaha

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Hahahahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
And just think, you have to use all of this DEF just to save a very tiny .01 g/km versus older trucks that didn't use it. I wonder if that .01 g/km is worth the added pollution from the jugs and chemical plants used to make DEF. Probably not. Heck, even our older trucks without DEF and EGR's had a lower NOx limits than even the latest Euro emissions standards.

One would think that their mortality rate would be lower if NOx is as bad as the EPA says it is in the US given that the Euro emissions have been a lot higher than ours for decades and they have many times more diesels on the road than the US. However, our mortality rate is near the bottom versus most European countries because it is acceptable by the government to eat 10 cheeseburgers a week, but how dare you release an added .01 g/kw of NOx even though other countries are much higher without issues.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
As has been noted; DEF shelf life is something to be aware of, and consider when filling it.
Shelf life drops like a rock as tempertures increase.
At 100 degrees it is down to 6 months or so.
Since I live in Phoenix AZ, and do not use my trucks as daily commuters, this is a real concern for me. Realize that it is not just the ambient air temperture to consider, but the actual DEF temperture!. When it is 115 in phoenix, and the truck is being driven, the DEF temps will be a lot hotter than 115!

So I keep my DEF tank low. I put 2.5 gallons of fresh DEF in when the warning appears.
If I have a trip coming up where I will need more, then I put more in at that time.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
On my 2500 CTD , when gauge sez 1/2 I pour in 2 1/2 gallons . But you are correct , it will say full and then " bang " , it is on half !

Well I also wait until the gauge is at 1/2 tank, then add a 2.5 gallon jug. It will stay on full for a while before dropping.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
samhain7 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Your gas truck will run forever without filling the DEF tank. :W

The answer to your question is in the owners manual.

Gee, thanks for the help
:R

You're welcome.
I just thought that I didn't want to sit and type up everything that you already have in your possession. :R

Then don't answer. Like at all
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
this video will answer and show you how the DEF gauge works

https://youtu.be/czJZuc8ThhI
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DEF gauge sat at F all summer, then we took 1000 mile road trip to PA with the camper and I used 1/2 tank of DEF. This is my first diesel truck and one thing I found out is that DEF has an expiration date, and stale DEF can clog up expensive parts.

I took the camper out one more time and DEF is at 3/8...but camper is winterized and it might stay at 3/8 till next year, so I'm not in a hurry to go out and buy more just yet.