cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RAM/Cummins test drive observations

4BIGAL
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently towing with a 2006 F350 XLT Crew Cab with V10/4:10 which I purchased new. Truck is mainly used for towing and only has 69K miles. I drive a Focus to work daily. Plan is to buy a new truck within the next year. My Focus will make its way to the oldest daughter in a couple years and the new truck will be my daily driver.

I recently test drove (3) new RAM trucks with diesel engines. First a 3500 Big Horn Mega Cab with 20" wheels. Wife loves the cab room and the flatter floor. Second a 2500 Tradesman and finally a 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab. We pretty much ruled out the tradesman and now are mostly thinking Mega Cab 3500. The 2500 seems to ride nicer but only had 2099 lbs payload. I would like to see no less than 2300. Per the specs I need to verify that the Mega Cab fits in my garage. I believe all (3) of these trucks were 3.42 models and all were under 100 miles on the odometer but the tradesman seemed to have less grunt. Anything to this? We drove all (3) consecutively. Negatives for the Crew Cab models are the middle rear seat which is shorted than the sides and the big hump on the floor. Our F350 is a straight 60/40 bench and the floor is flat. Sometimes our kids have friends along and our 85 lb dog loves to ride on the floor.

Are there any negatives to the mega cab other than the additional 11" of length? My F350 crew is only 3" shorter.

Thanks
2017 F-350, CREW, SRW, 6.2, 4.30, 4X4
2014 Coachmen 310BHDS
46 REPLIES 46

Bedlam
You can run an Anderson connector with heavy gauge wire between your RV and truck for better charging. Having the higher amperage alternators will provide sufficient current without taxing the charge circuits in the truck. This is frequently done with truck campers, but can be done with trailers and fifth wheels too. The 7-pin power line is not much more than a trickle charge.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
I'll continue to go by the ink and paper book that's in my glove box.

Look at page 651 in that 2015 owner's manual. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'd get right on that except my book stops at page 296. :h

Its obvious we didn't get all the manuals with the 500 mile break-in. I have always put at least 500 miles before any towing, so its was not an issue for me. I went to my manual after reading your post, thats when I found that my manual also NEVER referenced the 500 mile break-in.I was more curious then anything on where this 500 mile break-in was, but I soon found out from our resident experts ๐Ÿ™‚

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
4BIGAL wrote:

When building a truck on the Ram site they offer 3 different alternator amperage options. What reasons would a person select one of these different options?

Emergency lights, raising/lowering the snow plow, stuff like that.

Mine came with the Snow Chief option which includes the 220A alternator, cab switches, roof lights and limited slip rear end. All for pushing snow.

For the diesel with two batteries, I would get the 220A alternator anyway.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

4BIGAL
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got to bring a mega cab home for a test drive and it fits in my garage about the same as my F350. This was a 6.4L Laramie. Nice truck. I think I will stick with a Big Horn money wise and a diesel power wise.

When building a truck on the Ram site they offer 3 different alternator amperage options. What reasons would a person select one of these different options?
2017 F-350, CREW, SRW, 6.2, 4.30, 4X4
2014 Coachmen 310BHDS

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:

I'd get right on that except my book stops at page 296. :h
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I got the text from the towing section of the manual. It's probably somewhat contradictory because different people were responsible for different sections. It's probably academic and makes little difference how you break the truck in.

Totally unable to find any mention in towing section or otherwise of any 500 mile caution on break-in on a 2014 6.7 Cummins . It looks to me like 2015 manual is identical to my 2014. If you could please reference a page number on this it would be great . So I can stand corrected . Thanks.

Look at page 600 in your 2014 Owner's Manual.

I would if it had more then 240 pages

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
500-1000 miles is standard break-in for axle gears. Doesn't matter what engine the vehicle has or what vehicle the axle is in.

The oil in the axle should be changed after the break-in, as it gets metal in it during the break-in that you don't want to keep in the axle for the next 30,000 miles...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I got the text from the towing section of the manual. It's probably somewhat contradictory because different people were responsible for different sections. It's probably academic and makes little difference how you break the truck in.

Totally unable to find any mention in towing section or otherwise of any 500 mile caution on break-in on a 2014 6.7 Cummins . It looks to me like 2015 manual is identical to my 2014. If you could please reference a page number on this it would be great . So I can stand corrected . Thanks.

Look at page 600 in your 2014 Owner's Manual.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:

โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
Per the owners manual on my 15, there is no break in period at all. It can be used to tow day one.
We just went to Tennessee this past weekend and it was the first time I've locked out 6th with the cruise on, it does make it better in the hills. Every other trip it'll cruise at 65-68mph in 6th. I'm still amazed at the power every time we go out.

Copy/Paste from your manual:

CAUTION!:
Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.

Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Probably not a big deal but there is a break in period.

There is nothing in my manual on a 2014 Ram Cummins ABOUT the first 500 miles as you stated. Not sure what manual you have been reading .

Quote per my manual page 153 : " The Cummins turbocharged Diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed :

* Warm up the engine before placing it under load
* Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods
* Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging
* Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indicators
* Check the coolant and oil levels frequently
* Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.

NOTE :

Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency . Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.

* Because of the construction of the Cummins turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles ( 10,000 km )

No caution whatsoever in my manual about any 500 mile break-in. Must have been in a Ford manual :B

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, No, it wasn't a Ford manual; My Ford manual says to drive 1,000 miles to break in the differentials before towing.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:

You and your book specifically talks about the engine. The other print is talking about the drive train. Specifically the rear end.

IOW's the Cummins is fine to go to max power right out of the box; the rear end in the Ram, not so much.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Community Alumni
Not applicable
cummins2014 wrote:

Just from looking at what manuals are available online, the warning appears in the 2500/3500 owners manual and in the diesel supplement.

Owners Manual

Diesel Supplement

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
4BIGAL wrote:
My snowmobile trailer is only a 2 place enclosed so no biggie. Our Coachmen is 36.7', F350 is 20.6' and I have a long hitch shank that I figures adds about 12". its a long train.

I don't usually do my own oil changes. But I do change the oil in my truck every 3000 miles. I read that the Cummins can go 10000 miles between oil changes. Is this accurate? How often do people change the oil & filter and also fuel filters? Approx. what is the cost to have these changed? I know a lot of people say if you have to ask you shouldn't bother but I am a planner and would hate to get into this ignorant. My V10 get 7.5 towing and 12 empty. My research shows that I could see 11 towing and 17 empty. My commute to work is 11 miles @ 60 mph. Is this doable? Thanks!

If you follow the manual it says oil changes should be done at the first of 6 months, 500 hours or 15,000 miles. Obviously they advertise the 15,000 mile part, but the trigger for most folks will be 6 months. The kicker is that computer says you've still got a bunch of oil life left at 6 months. Fuel filters are an annual thing.

My standard suburban/city commute nets me a little over 17 mpg. Towing a 10k fifth wheel I generally get between 11 and 12. If I go a steady 60 mph highway I'll get 22-23 easy, at least in the summer. You'd be dealing with warming up and shutting off so you might not get quite that, but it should be pretty good.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB