cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram outsells Chevrolet.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I read somewhere that Ram outsold Chevrolet half tons and GM is pissed. Is this fiction, or why haven't I seen any posts about this?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400
71 REPLIES 71

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Typical Forum....If I bought a Ram it would be the most bestest ever. A Ford? Yep the most bestest. GM, the most bestest.

GM may have to close the doors over this calamity. Somehow I don't think they worry much about it. Anyone can discount a product upwards of $13K for a few months and sell a ton of them in short order. When the incentives disappear the sheeple will head to a different barn, the one with the incentive.

Most people don't give a rats rear end who sold what or how many, nor do they care what the guy who pulls up beside them at the stoplight is driving. If this type of BS makes you feel good, and gets your chest all puffy, then by all means enjoy the experience. I sure like my 15 F250, still have an 11 Ram in the barn, but miss the 14 GMC. Never even knew who was selling what, how many, or cared one bit when buying any of them.

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
They're all good trucks and I'd be happy with any of the Big 3.

Main reason I went with the Ram CTD is it was 10 Grand cheaper than a Ford or Chevy.

I always hear people saying Ram is less expensive than Ford. Just for fun I was building a 2019 Ford XLT and a 2019 Ram Bighorn online as close as I could with the options I wanted and the Ram ended up about 4K more. I was a little disappointed as I really like the new Rams. I must be missing something I'm Sure.

Of course I opted for the HO Cummins with the Aisen tranny, that upgrade isn't cheap. If I am spending that kind of money why would I opt for the lesser Cummins?

Dan

I just did the same thing with a Ford F350 Lariat and a Ram 2500 Laramie. Equally equipped the Ford cost $71,000, and the Ram cost $74,000. It seems to me that Ram has really upped the price for the new 2019s.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsmen wrote:
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

OHC gasoline engines in the Fords are a huge reliability problem and a maintenance nightmare with the cab having to be removed to do any serious engine work.

I'm not really sure how anyone could look at these things any other way; Ford is alone in its decision to use OHC engines in American trucks.

:h The Ford gas engines are a huge reliability issue? Is this a forecast of things yet to come?

Not at all, they've been in the trucks for 20 years. The issues with the timing chains and their tensioners are well documented, as well ad head gaskets, spitting plugs out, and probably a bunch of other issues I haven't even heard of. I'm not aware of any similar problems with the OHV designs used by Ram and GM.

So you are talking the old 5.4 and v10. None of which required cab off. The way you phrased these issues seems to be approaching hyperbole.

I have had three 5.4l 3v engines and all were good engines. No phaser, timing chain, tensioner issues at all..... All three engines were accessible WITHOUT removing the cab.... I would buy another 5.4 in a heartbeat..

I had a 5.4 gasser in a Ford Expedition, and it was a good engine. I made the mistake of towing a Jeep on an open trailer (7000 lbs) on a 1900 mile round trip to the Rubicon Trail, with three other guys towing Jeeps with Cummins powered Dodge trucks. All three Cummins trucks had been modded heavily, and the entire trip was one long drag race to the top of each mountain pass. And me with my gasser trying to keep up. It was a leased Expedition, so I pushed it harder than I ever would a vehicle I owned. I pushed it so hard, at redline a good part of the time, that I only got 4.6 mpg on a few legs of the trip. Now that is pushing an engine hard. And it held up fine, I never had any problems with that engine the entire time I owned the Expedition.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Until this thread, I had no idea Ram and Ford even made a pickup. Never gave them a second look.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bedlam
1982 Mazda
1989 Mazda
2005 Ford
2015 Ram

GM has not had a truck I wanted yet, but I shop all the competition each time before I make a purchase.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
For me Ford and RAM would win every time in the visual category....as for GM well IMHO GM has not made any vehicle in 40s years that I have looked at and said wow that thing looks nice or cool especially when it comes to their trucks....they are always just so bland to me and leave no good impression whatsoever...but that's my own opinion.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another informative thread... camping season is almost here! We're headed out for Friday for a quick weekend with some friends.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The actual topic here is that Ram had a fantastic first quarter, Ford did well and GM failed to meet expectations. I have seen some comments from people that really like the Ram but no discussions on GM's failure. It might be as simple as production issues with the new truck or GM decided to go for profit over volume. Or it might be something less flattering for GM like the truck itself isn't appealing or the marketing campaign failed. That is what I would like to understand better.

I do know this. Ford has a lot of new stuff coming for the 2020 model year and if GM doesn't get things going before that hits the market they may find themselves in a deeper hole.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Main reason I went with the Ram CTD is it was 10 Grand cheaper than a Ford or Chevy.

I always hear people saying Ram is less expensive than Ford. Just for fun I was building a 2019 Ford XLT and a 2019 Ram Bighorn online as close as I could with the options I wanted and the Ram ended up about 4K more. I was a little disappointed as I really like the new Rams. I must be missing something I'm Sure.

Of course I opted for the HO Cummins with the Aisen tranny, that upgrade isn't cheap. If I am spending that kind of money why would I opt for the lesser Cummins?

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:

Winner winner, chicken dinner. $10K is a 15 percent price difference on a fully loaded truck. You can buy a decent used TT for that.
I also say the dealer is the key, not the brand. We have a huge local Chevy dealer that is terrible, yet the Dodge guys are top notch. I have no experience with the big Ford guys in the area.
Were I to have to buy a new truck today it would be Ram, Ford, GM.
Puma 30RKSS

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not once in my life time have sales figures factored in when I purchased a new truck. I picked the vehicle which best suited my needs, not by who sold the most.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

OHC gasoline engines in the Fords are a huge reliability problem and a maintenance nightmare with the cab having to be removed to do any serious engine work.

I'm not really sure how anyone could look at these things any other way; Ford is alone in its decision to use OHC engines in American trucks.

:h The Ford gas engines are a huge reliability issue? Is this a forecast of things yet to come?

Not at all, they've been in the trucks for 20 years. The issues with the timing chains and their tensioners are well documented, as well ad head gaskets, spitting plugs out, and probably a bunch of other issues I haven't even heard of. I'm not aware of any similar problems with the OHV designs used by Ram and GM.

Between my brothers, my father and myself we have owned a bunch of Fords and other than a head gasket in a V10 we have not head any of those issues. That is the one that I sold with 135,000 miles on it for twice KBB value. Considering that it only depreciated about $1,000 a year for the 13 years that I owned it and had no other issues I will have to say that it was a bargain, even after paying to have the head gasket fixed.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

So you are talking the old 5.4 and v10. None of which required cab off. The way you phrased these issues seems to be approaching hyperbole.

I have had three 5.4l 3v engines and all were good engines. No phaser, timing chain, tensioner issues at all..... All three engines were accessible WITHOUT removing the cab.... I would buy another 5.4 in a heartbeat..
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
mich800 wrote:
twodownzero wrote: