cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ramps sticking out of bed - center or side

5Cent
Explorer
Explorer
Having a physics brain fart, looking for confirmation on where I should load 8' ATV ramps for tightest turning radius with 6' 8" bed.

Tailgate is off, 8' steel load ramps sticking out, but sit 3" in front of plane down thru middle of hitch ball. Put the in center or on outside of bed? Which provides the most clearance?
2014 Chevy 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax (LML), LT trim, CC, 6.5' bed, 4x4

Current:2015 Keystone Hideout 28BHS
Past:1997 Prowler 26-T, Fiberglass
Past:1983 Wilderness 25'
5 REPLIES 5

5Cent
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks gents, exactly what I was thinking, but was second guessing myself.
2014 Chevy 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax (LML), LT trim, CC, 6.5' bed, 4x4

Current:2015 Keystone Hideout 28BHS
Past:1997 Prowler 26-T, Fiberglass
Past:1983 Wilderness 25'

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dannyabear1 wrote:
Center will remain constant, one side or the other will hit as soon as you turn

+1

If it clear while in the middle you should be good.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My kayaks made me nervous sticking out the back and being close to front of trailer so I bought some racks and carry the kayaks on them, with very little hanging past the back of the truck.. perhaps you could do the same if the ramps end up too close.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Center. I do this with my utility trailer, except long boards are over the utility trailer and not the bed of the truck. My utility trailer bed is 10 feet long. I often haul 16 foot long boards. 3 feet over the tongue, and 3 feet over the back end... right down the middle. It misses the tailgate of truck by just a few inches, but doesn't matter which direction I turn, the closest point will be with truck and trailer are straight.

Your's would be opposite overhanging the tailgate of the truck, but the closest point would be when the truck and trailer are straight. If you put them to the side, it will hit the trailer when you turn the direction of that side.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Center will remain constant, one side or the other will hit as soon as you turn