Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ranger Lakes CG Colorado

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Anybody been there? How is the campground? More importantly, how is the fishing? Looking at a mid to late September visit.

Thanks, Jeff D
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18
6 REPLIES 6

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado has a habit of draining my favorite trout lakes. They drain Antero Res a few years back right after I discovered that place and the big fat rainbows in it.

Another good trout lake in that area is Lake Agnes. Its about a mile walk into the lake, but the fish and scenery are worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_HkMLr7qw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

phleeb
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan Reservoir was empty in August as they are doing repairs to the dam - supposed to be finished by next summer. There is a dump station in the area, it's a couple of miles from the campground.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been there and some of our friends go every year. The campground is good with electric only and water to fill you fresh tank. There is no dump station right there. The fishing is good and stocked with 8-10" regularly. You also have a good chance of seeing lots of wildlife. The last time there we saw deer, moose, and a bear in the area. You do need to make reservations ASAP.

ADD: I have fished Lake Agnes and it is a beautiful lake as the video tagged below by BradW. It is definitely a challenging hike to get there but well worth it. You do have to be used to the elevation and in decent shape to attempt it as the lake sits over 10,000 feet.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We fished ranger lakes many moons ago. Only thing we ever caught were small stockers.

Try Michigan Res a few miles down the road. Flies and lures only. We caught and released many brown and rainbows fishing from shore with rooster tails. Fish are larger in that lake than ranger. We always had good luck in late sept.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Mid September will be great weather but the lakes will be 'fished out'.
The autumn colors and the bugling elk will make up for the lack of fish.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
Sub'd. I will say after Labor Day is a MUCH better time to camp than before. Everything is slammed in the summer.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually