cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real mattress

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
We have a queen sized RV mattress in our bedroom. It measures 60" by 75", but we have about 10 inches of space in front of the bed before it hits the wall. I was thinking of going with a standard queen mattress which is 60" by 80".

I was just going to go with a mattress since adding a box spring would make the bed even higher.. (heaven forbid I ever fall off of it).

Anyone ever do this and/or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...
Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2018 Highland Ridge Open Range OF374BHS
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
17 REPLIES 17

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
we added a memory foam topper .
and a down comforter .
Great combo in all kinds of environments .

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
yes, we took the oem mattress out of our 5er the moment we had it home and installed the same mattress as our house (sears). The oem one is still in plastic downstairs and will be included with the rig when it comes time to sell. Getting a good sleep in the rv is just as important as at home.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
dtzackus wrote:
We have a queen sized RV mattress in our bedroom. It measures 60" by 75", but we have about 10 inches of space in front of the bed before it hits the wall. I was thinking of going with a standard queen mattress which is 60" by 80".

I was just going to go with a mattress since adding a box spring would make the bed even higher.. (heaven forbid I ever fall off of it).

Anyone ever do this and/or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

My euro-Queen gave up the ghost two yrs. ago. I took a nearly new Queen mattress out of our house and it works well. Sleep like baby.
At 6'3" tall, my feet hung off the euro, but manage to stay on the Queen.
FWIW: I tried the springs too, so high I needed to jump up into bed.
You don't need the springs.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Sleepys and bought a bamboo blend non allergenic mattress.
It is comfy and just he right height w/o the foundation. We also bought 1 fro our house, King Size and paid $500 or so for the Queen and $*00 or so for the King. Love it.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We have a nice thick mattress we had factory chop to fit our RV size queen bed. We are neither one tall people so no feet hanging over. Then after sleeping at my daughters house while baby sitting I needed a memory foam topper. If I ever fall off I hope I land on the dog so I won't break a bone. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

Andym133
Explorer
Explorer
We went to a foam and fabric place and had them cut out a 12 x 8 or whatever size you want and then added it at the head of the bed. Now my tootsies stay on the bed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wmoses wrote:

OldBiscuit - adding that Tempurpedic must have put a significant dent in your cargo caring capacity. Those things are heavy.

We FT, sold everything and the tempur-pedic was going with us regardless.
All in all we have only what we need.......carry less than what some weekend campers we've seen do :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

okoboji_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We had the standard rv mattress and later put a foam topper on it. Worked for awhile. Got a new Beautyrest mattress on sale 800+ individually wrapped coils,two types of foam. The price was cheaper than some of these rv specific mattresses and alot more comfortable.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We kept the 5" foam and added a 4" topper that was on sale at CW. Has worked well for us.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing we ever did - this one clicky
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled out the full size queen from our new rig, and put our Sleep Number in. Not a hard job even with the air lines and pump. Just have to remember to deflate the cells when we start going to high altitudes.

Replacing the standard el-cheapo mattress is one of the easiest upgrades you can do.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with a Serta RV mattress which we find to be quite adequate. Just prior to the last trip we added a 1.5" memory foam topper that was on sale at Kohls and that made the sleep even better. The topper gives a nice initial cushion before the extra firmness of the Serta kicks in. Any better sleep and we'd likely not want to get out of bed and do anything!

OldBiscuit - adding that Tempurpedic must have put a significant dent in your cargo caring capacity. Those things are heavy.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
The very first thing we did when we got our new 5'er was to take the nasty mattress out of it and replace it with a memory foam mattress that we got from Walmart. We have a Tempurpedic in our house and loved it. Figured we couldn't/wouldn't spent quite that much on a mattress for the RV. Ordered the Spa Sensations 8" memory foam for $200 online, had it in 2 days and unboxed in the bedroom of the RV. (This is a must because it's small until it encounters air and then it is heavy and bulky).

It sleeps as good, if not better, than our mattress at home. Lots of people complain that it is like a chunk of stone if it's cold, but I don't do cold weather camping without heat!!! If it's above 50 degrees, it's fine. The one that we purchased had a cover on it that allowed the foam to breathe and not get too hot. For $200 for a queen size and $300 for the king, when our Tempurpedic dies, we will replace it with the one from Walmart for 1/10 the price.

On edit: The memory foam mattresses require a solid platform, so you don't need, nor do you want a box springs with it.

Here is the one that we purchased - it's gone up a few dollars and is now $219.

Memory Foam Mattress
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
We had a fifth wheel with a East/West bed in a slide. Bought a House size queen and no box springs. It was a little tall, but not too bad, and we loved it.
It did push on the cabinet a little when closed, but no problem.