cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Real-World weights

Starpig
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally took my truck and camper to the CAT scale. I've found real-world numbers hard to come by, so I'm posting them for all who are interested. I think it would be a great resource to have a sticky thread for people to post their actual weights.

My truck: 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB 4X4 SRW 5.9l CTD. Stock 17" aluminum wheels w/ Toyo 10-ply tires (3,200# rated at 80 PSI), Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar, air bags, Torklift frame-mount tie-downs w/ Torklift Fastguns.

Truck Weight with 1/4 tank fuel, 220# driver and tailgate:

Front axle: 4,540#
rear axle: 2,740#
total weight: 7,280#

My camper:2002 General Coach (Thor) Corsair 9'2". Wet bath, 27 gal. fresh, 18 gal. grey, 19 gal. black, 11 gal. propane.
title lists dry weight as 2,624#
Mfg. lists dry weight as 2,497#

Actual Camper weight with 1/2 tank fresh water (14 gal?), empty black and grey tanks, full propane (40#) and all the gear that always stays in the camper: 3,300#

Combined weight of truck and camper as described above:

Front Axle: 4,860#
Rear Axle: 5,720#
Total weight: 10,580#

I feel much more comfortable going down the road now, just knowing exactly how much, and where, my weight is distributed!

Regards,

Jeff
11 REPLIES 11

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Starpig wrote:
aruba5er wrote:
Funny how it's all on the rear axle. With the camper, the front axle is only #26 heavier than without.

That was one of the things that surprised me about my numbers as well! As I stated, my truck is a quad cab and I can just see the front of the cabover through the windshield when I drive, yet it only adds 320# of weight to the front axle.

Makes me wonder how much good it does to put my generator in the back seat vs. in the camper itself!

Jeff

Yup, the S&S only adds 160lbs to Red, and that's full of water. Need to add a front hitch.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Im surprised at your truck only weight. My old 2004 Chevy D/A extra cab 4x4 scaled ready to go at 7500 pounds. And my 07 Ram 4x2 quad cab dually was 8000. Of course that was with me, DW and 100 pound lab.

X2
Our 2001 2500 CTD QC 4X4 weighs in right at 7,800# with DW and in bed tool box. Loaded about 10,500#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Starpig
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
Funny how it's all on the rear axle. With the camper, the front axle is only #26 heavier than without.

That was one of the things that surprised me about my numbers as well! As I stated, my truck is a quad cab and I can just see the front of the cabover through the windshield when I drive, yet it only adds 320# of weight to the front axle.

Makes me wonder how much good it does to put my generator in the back seat vs. in the camper itself!

Jeff

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our next TC will probably be a 4 wheel Grandby or a Willett product.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Travels with Yoly wrote:
We purchased a Travel Lite 770R because of its advertised dry weight of 1,385 lbs. If we loaded it very conservatively, it would have put our Ram 1500 just below our maximum GVWR and rear axle rating. The only options beyond the base model were the 8,500 BTU A/C unit and the stereo. I had installed air bags in the rear coil springs to help level the truck. I stopped on the way home from picking it up and weighed it at a Cat scale. It was completely empty. The scale showed it to weigh 1,920 lbs. We were well over our GVWR and about 400 lbs over our rear axle rating. We returned it to the dealer and got our money back.

You didn't think they would name it 'Travel Barge' did you? Far as I'm concerned, the only 'Lite'; thing about most TC's is the vinyl wording.

My Palomino is advertised at 1950. It weighs 2300 empty. Camper builder are like weather forecasters, they all lie. Only 3 builders that I know of actually weigh each unit, Cap, Four Wheel Campers and Northern Lite and that is am empty weight. No batteries, propane or water. Plan on an additional 700 to 1000 pounds of stuff and occupants.

In our case a 2300 pound camper is a non issue because our truck (F350) is quite capable.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
We purchased a Travel Lite 770R because of its advertised dry weight of 1,385 lbs. If we loaded it very conservatively, it would have put our Ram 1500 just below our maximum GVWR and rear axle rating. The only options beyond the base model were the 8,500 BTU A/C unit and the stereo. I had installed air bags in the rear coil springs to help level the truck. I stopped on the way home from picking it up and weighed it at a Cat scale. It was completely empty. The scale showed it to weigh 1,920 lbs. We were well over our GVWR and about 400 lbs over our rear axle rating. We returned it to the dealer and got our money back.

A few thousand more camper buyers need to do that every year. Maybe then we wouldn't have so much of what I consider to be false advertising when it comes to camper weights.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Northern Lite does actually weigh each camper as delivered with all factory options and records it on a sticker inside. That's with everything empty and without batteries. -Mark.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
surprising how wrong the sticker on the camper is. Mine says like 1800# but they then say plus optional equipment. So add ? for fiberglass sides, air conditioner, microwave,jackknife sofa wet bath, and the list goes on and on. How about a scale at the back door to weigh it as it comes off the assembly line and a true weight sticker applied. I probably would not have bought it had I known the true weight. The tires on your truck determine the true carrying capacity and man< I'm right there. I'm under by less than #100. Funny how it's all on the rear axle. With the camper, the front axle is only #26 heavier than without.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im surprised at your truck only weight. My old 2004 Chevy D/A extra cab 4x4 scaled ready to go at 7500 pounds. And my 07 Ram 4x2 quad cab dually was 8000. Of course that was with me, DW and 100 pound lab.

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
No more wondering now! Well matched set up. Bazinga!