cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rear camera on Arctic Fox picture

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wireless 2 camera system. One for my 990 and one for my trailer. one camera has the backup grid, one does not.

Does anybody have any picture of where you mounted a camera on back of your Arctic Fox? My trailer camera is powered by running lights so might was well do the same thing for the 990.
I have the rear awning.

something makes me want to mount the 990 camera up high, but I hate to put holes in the camper. I was also thinking of mounting it down low, under fox landing. I already plan to put some lights under there for use when parked. I can pickup power in the side cabinets. This location would be useful to view hooking up trailer as well as running empty, plus the camera down low could be used to watch the hitch gear and maybe see how close the camper jacks are to hitting on the front corners of V nose trailer during tight backup situations.

I seem to always have the trailer behind me when in the 990, but I do have plans to tow my little S10 maybe. I guess the one with grid belongs on back of trailer. I do tow the trailer some without 990. Truck has its own backup camera in tailgate, so the one on trailer will still be useful with grid pattern.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.
11 REPLIES 11

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
In the middle... Second one is for lining up the hitch.
One on the camper is on a quick disconnect, next to the RV pigtail.

Hitch eye:

I'm not sure why folks worry so much about 'drilling holes'.. how do they think all that stuff on the camper got attached in the first place?

Camper is a tool. That doesn't mean it should look like your tool shed, but don't be afraid of setting it up and using it like you want.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Jimster
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a Plug & Play backup camera from Camera-Source on the back/underside of our AF 811's Fox Landing, giving us a view very similar to the OEM tailgate camera's view.
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat, LB, 6.7L Diesel, 4X4, 3.73 LSD, DRW, Camper Package, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, TireMaster A1A
2017 Arctic Fox 811, Arctic Fox Landing, 160 watt solar panel, Torklift Fast Guns, Camera-Source Plug & Play Camper Camera Kit

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same as NVR2L8.... right in the center. I purchased a double rocker switch from my dealer to match my rear OEM porch light switch and installed it in the same location as the original. One switch is for the porch light, the other is for the BC 30 wireless camera power, with the camera installed outside, right behind the switch on the rear facia panel above the entry door. I tapped power from the porch light switch, wired in an inline fuse then ran power to the other switch for the camera. I also drilled a small hole in the switch cover large enough for a little blue led to fit through, which indicates when the camera is powered.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Right in the center.

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my camera under the sewer drain hose compartment. I used aluminum rivnuts in the aluminum tube and plugged into the outlet for the tailgate camera.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a link to what I did. Still using it:

Wired backup camera

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
My camper is presently under cover so I can't take a photograph, but here is what I did.

Mounted the camera to a bracket that is attached to the ladder tube frame. It projects out to the right from the ladder so their is no impediment to using the ladder. As you can see there is very close access to the marker light.
Capture by camelwhit, on Flickr

This is the bracket(called bull bar bracket). It is designed for mounting a light bar to a vehicle. You will need the 1" diameter size(measure the diameter of your ladder tube to be sure). I only had to drill one extra hole in the bracket arm to attach the camera to it. You can find this on eBay.
Capture1 by camelwhit, on Flickr
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have this system.
I currently have the monitor mounted almost laying in floor in front of center console.

right now I have the Camper camera hooked up to alligator clips so I can move it around and see what works best.

I do use my ladder. I don't go all the way up to roof, but I need it to get my satellite dish up to its "porch" where it sits while in use.

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I cant help with specific mounting location an Artic Fox but might pass on thoughts to consider for height.

I recently mounted cameras on both truck and camper. Truck is above license plate @3' from ground. Camper is 9'+ unmounted.

With both adjusted to see bumpers, on truck I can see across the street or better rearward, camper I can see about 12-15' (unmounted, should improve once on truck). But its the relative width closest to vehicle (bottom of screen), that changes the most.

From camper, field of vision at bottom screen or closest to camper is about 6' width. Truck, the portion of bumper shown (bottom of screen) is only about 12" width. Mostly because of the fish-eye lens but closer object is to camera the more it fills up screen. The lower the camera greater the distance rearward but also the greater the difference in what you see in screen between top and bottom.

Truck is hard to judge distance because as view further back the distance is more compressed, closer you get to something it fills up screen. Car is about 4 1/2' away end of drive is 40', width from 12" to 100'. Camper, though you cant see as far rearward, the distance isn't skewed and field of vision/width doesn't decrease. I could back up to brick wall and not hit it. Truck I lose perspective-great for hitching but in general needs to be higher.

All depends on what you want to see. Ideally placement would be with live camera to verify what you'll see. Not sure mounted under bumper field of vision would include width wanted?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
What brand wireless cameras do you have?
Bob

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a wired backup camera with an extension into my cab through the rear door. Works great. I screwed the small camera on to the ladder next to the camper door and angled it down so I can watch my boat and traffic. Sorry, I don't have a picture but the small camera easily mounted on the ladder step. Because the step isn't completely flat, I was able to set the camera bracket such that it angled down slightly until it was perfect. Good luck