cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a tow hitch receiver spare tire mount?

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to relocate the spare under my truck to free up space for a secondary fuel tank. The only decent place I've got is mounted on the rear a-la EarthRoamer. But on some big bracket mount off the tow hitch receiver. Ideally it would fold down like a Thule bike rack so I could gain access to the camper door, but I suppose that's optional. I'd rather not mount it up front. Any thoughts?
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread
8 REPLIES 8

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting! Researching...

Edit: nothing available from Aerotank or Titan on the GMT400, one of the most prolific platforms still in existence.

Part of the attraction to modding an old truck is that it's cheap! A Titan tank even if available is 1/4 the value of my truck. Not that *I'm* cheap per-se... it's that my Audi and Jag get all the top dollar stuff already.
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
805gregg wrote:
Get an Aerotank, it will replace your existing tank, no need to move the spare, I have 55 gallons

Titan makes a similar tank. (Stock tank replacement with larger capacity)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Get an Aerotank, it will replace your existing tank, no need to move the spare, I have 55 gallons
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
Argh, the TireGate is perfect! Thanks! But way too expensive. I'm not planning to spend several hundred bucks for that solution, but getting a hi lift jack and jerry cans into the picture is a dream come true. I'm bookmarking that one at least for now... a loaded offset model would work well I think.
'The TerraShuttle'

My build thread

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
OOO!, i like the looks of the Hitch Gate. There are a few unintended consequences.
If your TC sticks out the back farther than the end of the truck bed you must use an extension as you would with a trailer. This reduces the amount of 'tongue weight' for the tire carrier the farther out you go with that lever back there.
If your TC is a centered rear door type, how will you close the swing away once you are inside the camper? A side door TC would be the ticket if you were going this route.
Even with the one bolt slop tightener, like bike racks use, in the receiver you are going to get wobble. The way to fix that would be with chain and turnbuckle outriggers like this rack only on steroids:

Since i must carry two spare tires, I have thought long and hard about the good the bad the ugly about a homemade, HD swing away tire rack. The Hitch Gate, even with the consequences has some merit.
Someone needs to try one of these and give a report back on its effectiveness on a TC.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
'Can't spell' made a nice rack for his genny. I would imagine it could be modified a little to hold a tire, its a swing out as suggested.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23497296/print/true.cfm

could you use something like this set up ?

tire on a hitch haul. some tc combo's have the clearance to do it .

Bob

flht_db
Explorer
Explorer
Something like this:

Tire Gate
2013 Eagle Cap 950
2014 F350 Super Duty DRW Lariat
8 X 22 Wells Cargo Enclosed Trailer for the Bikes
7 x 18 Big Tex Open Trailer for the Jeep or Bikes

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of fold down, get a weld shop to make a swing away.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.