cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese ball hitch

Ole_buzzard
Explorer
Explorer
How long does a ball hitch last. I have a Reese21794 5"drop 4 1/4 rise. I'm using the rise. Towing with a 2012Ford F250 gas with the factory tow pkg. My tt is a Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. The caps on the hitch are tounge 500 lbs totalsight 5000lbs. I'm well under all of the caps. When shouls I consider replacing my hitch?
10 REPLIES 10

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same drop hitch (stinger?). Since it was rated only to 5000 pounds and our horse trailer has a 7500 GVW we bought a 4 inch drop with a 12,000 pound rating. Better safe than sorry.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good!

I bought a Putnam Adjustable ball mount and a Convert-A-Ball when I bought my first pickup 15 years ago. I remove this and my Reese WDH my ball mounts when not towing. Both are still in great shape!

Use a little grease on the ball and it should wear well for longer than the life of your truck.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Ole_buzzard
Explorer
Explorer
Had it weighed at Escapees can't fond the paper but remember it was under 500. 3/4 ton using the rise and the tt is level. The only other thing is the tv has the 172" wheel base.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I think your loaded tongue weight is likely over 500 pounds. 4" rise towing that TT with a 3/4 ton? Is the TT level?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
you may have this hitch. If so, it's built fairly well. Like the others said, inspect every so often.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's just a shank and ball set up, no WD parts and bars, then it's not likely to ever need anything other than your keen eye on a regular basis.

Without specifics of load and size, generally the simple stuff is pretty well built if name brand parts. Keep a touch of lube on the ball, make sure it isn't loose in the shank, look at your retaining pin and keeper for wear, bending, cracks, keep your eye on welds (if painted, cracks are usually fairly easy to see. If rusted, sometimes rust can look like a crack.) Anything suspect could be inexpensively Magna Fluxed or just replaced. You could have it welded if you know a good, certified welder, but generally I view hitch parts like lifting parts: when in doubt, throw it out. It isn't worth your life to risk it. Overall, very little to go wrong with a shank and ball. Usually, if something is wrong, you'll know it's wrong. And if it's going to fail suddenly, you weren't ever going to detect it beforehand anyhow.

I inspect air and electric overhead hoists regularly as part of my job. 99.9% of the time I never find anything worth worrying about that needs immediate repair. I often ask myself what are the chances I'm going to intercept an impending, catastrophic failure at that moment? Slim and none, but they still need looked at and documented. A hitch is kind of that way, too. Simple and sturdy, and if it's going to fail suddenly, rather than slowly wear out, there isn't much you're going to do to catch it. Keep an eye on things and use your best judgement. That's all we can do.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I use a WD hitch 'cause I have about 1100 lb tongue weight but I have had one of those ball mounts (a reese with a drop) for about 20 years and I use it quite often. The hole for the pin is starting to elongate, that's all.

Ole_buzzard
Explorer
Explorer
I understant the ball, the piece that the ball attaches to is the hitch which is welded. My thought was cracking by the weld. I understand inspecting the hitch but wondered if there was some rule of thumb about replacing the hitch itself.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h
Since a hitch is a collection of components that work together to accomplish a mechanical task, I don't understand the question. Are you talking specifically about the ball itself? Or something other? Given decent care and proper sizing virtually nothing should ever need replaced. Some hitches have wear points, which when worn beyond serviceable levels should have particular components replaced, but replacing the whole hitch seems like baby and bathwater to me. Can you clarify the question?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Those generally don't need to be replaced if they're good quality.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"