cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable mount for CS backup cam?

shortcamperft
Explorer
Explorer
Hauling our new TC with a '21 F350 due to arrive in a few weeks. Read that the Camera Source kits (SKU CS-FTRSK-17SDRC) are easy to install and use, but it looks like you'd have to crawl under and unplug the cord whenever you unload the TC from the truck.

Has anybody mounted the camera in a way where they can just pop it off when unloading the camper? It would be great to do something magnetic where I could pull it off the camper, unload, and then stick it on the bumper of the truck when not hauling.

Would also love input from anyone who at least found a way to mount it without drilling holes in their camper. VHB tape comes to mind, even if it means crawling under to disconnect the cable.
10 REPLIES 10

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
shortcamperft wrote:
How are you attaching the camera to the back of the TC?

There are pictures of the bracket I molded on following pages in the topic. So far I did not see 1 that you can just buy.

shortcamperft
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I used Ford factory tailgate camera on my TC THREAD HERE
I did not mind unplugging it under the camper since I had to go there for power plug anyway (and I camp in dry climates) but later I gave both cables extra slag and I could go on my knee from the side, when camper was 2 ft before reaching the bed end.
360 cameras on truck are amazing - especially when you have dually and 12' camper.

Thanks that is real helpful. Maybe there is hope to fish it out of the tailgate for free. How are you attaching the camera to the back of the TC?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I used Ford factory tailgate camera on my TC THREAD HERE
I did not mind unplugging it under the camper since I had to go there for power plug anyway (and I camp in dry climates) but later I gave both cables extra slag and I could go on my knee from the side, when camper was 2 ft before reaching the bed end.
360 cameras on truck are amazing - especially when you have dually and 12' camper.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
You plug it in underneath, plugs are attached to the side plates of the receiver hitch, sort of by the spare tire.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

shortcamperft
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I have this kit, not sure why it's so expensive now but anyways...

I mounted mine to the camper step, Ideally you want it to be mounted where it's at a similar height to the tailgate camera or I think it would look weird when it stitches the cameras together for the 360 view.

Also the Fakra cable it comes with is way too long for a truck camper. You can buy shorter length cables on ebay for cheap. They are colour coded so you need the brown cable and I believe it's F to F.

Disconnecting and re-connecting the cable is really no big deal, the other 3 cables you need to disconnect to remove the tailgate are definitely a bigger hassle.

PS: Just want to make sure you're getting the correct camera. This kit works on truck with the 360 camera system not with trucks that just have the backup camera.

Where does the cable plug in on your truck? Is it by the license plate/7pin plug, or is it underneath somewhere?

We are full-timers, so we'll have the tailgate off permanently. Part of why I want to be able to swap the camera to the truck, ideally, but that's just "nice to have" not necessary.

Yep I ordered the 360 view camera set. Couldn't resist.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have this kit, not sure why it's so expensive now but anyways...

I mounted mine to the camper step, Ideally you want it to be mounted where it's at a similar height to the tailgate camera or I think it would look weird when it stitches the cameras together for the 360 view.

Also the Fakra cable it comes with is way too long for a truck camper. You can buy shorter length cables on ebay for cheap. They are colour coded so you need the brown cable and I believe it's F to F.

Disconnecting and re-connecting the cable is really no big deal, the other 3 cables you need to disconnect to remove the tailgate are definitely a bigger hassle.

PS: Just want to make sure you're getting the correct camera. This kit works on truck with the 360 camera system not with trucks that just have the backup camera.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

shortcamperft
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking I could get one of those magnetic license plate bracket kits and attach the magnets to the camera instead of mounting it. The TC has metal steps that are always visible on the back, so my hope is those would work to magnetize to, and then for the truck I could get a hitch-mount license plate holder that's made of steel to stick the camera to when not hauling. Worst case, I could get the receiver magnets as well, and put those on one of the license plate locations on the truck.

I was just hoping someone else had walked this path before me! lol

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
shortcamperft wrote:
Thank you! The Camera Source kit has the camera inside a housing with what looks like four screws to mount it with. I was thinking of trying to mount it to one of those magnetic license plate holders they make, so I could just pop it off the camper if I need to.

I have to check YouTube again, I forget where exactly the plug is for the camera, but if I have the TC loaded I would be crawling either way, whether the plug is up under the truck or just between the truck bumper and the TC. 🙂

Ah. I thought maybe the unit just snapped into the mount. Maybe magnets epoxied to the bottom of the cam and a painted or galvanized/plated steel plate taped to the rear roof or back wall of the camper. When the camper is off, you'd problem have to put the cam on the bumper as the bed is aluminum, unless you mount a steel plate there too.

Maybe you can make a cord so you can leave a section on the camper. Maybe zip tied to the ladder. Then another section to use when truck only. Then you just have to move the cam, not the whole cord.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

shortcamperft
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! The Camera Source kit has the camera inside a housing with what looks like four screws to mount it with. I was thinking of trying to mount it to one of those magnetic license plate holders they make, so I could just pop it off the camper if I need to.

I have to check YouTube again, I forget where exactly the plug is for the camera, but if I have the TC loaded I would be crawling either way, whether the plug is up under the truck or just between the truck bumper and the TC. 🙂

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
shortcamperft wrote:
Hauling our new TC with a '21 F350 due to arrive in a few weeks. Read that the Camera Source kits (SKU CS-FTRSK-17SDRC) are easy to install and use, but it looks like you'd have to crawl under and unplug the cord whenever you unload the TC from the truck.

Has anybody mounted the camera in a way where they can just pop it off when unloading the camper? It would be great to do something magnetic where I could pull it off the camper, unload, and then stick it on the bumper of the truck when not hauling.

Would also love input from anyone who at least found a way to mount it without drilling holes in their camper. VHB tape comes to mind, even if it means crawling under to disconnect the cable.

First, congrats on the new truck!!! I'm still waiting to be able to order mine! New camper is ordered, so hoping soon!

Don't know how these work, but can you just buy another base to put on the bumper of the truck, or wherever?

As for the wire, perhaps put and extension on it to bring the plug into the bed of the truck, through an existing hole? I'll have to look at this as I'll be having my tailgate on/off. I'd have thought the plug would have been right there at the gate, recessed in the bed frame or something. Not something you'd have to fish out from under the truck.

Post pic's of what you come up with!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.