Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing factory applied silicone from roof

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone should be shoot.

Every seam is calked with SILICONE even the roof seam at the gutter. I have spent weekends removing it and calking with ProFlex on the sides and windows.

What's the best way to remove it from the roof without damaging the membrane? I've got 64 feet of it to remove and calk with Dicor non sag lap sealant.

Second questions is what to do about the top awning mount. Looks to me Keystone installed it wrong. Why is it digging into the roof? Should it not be resting on the gutter. I think I can lower it by using the second set of holes in the bracket or is it fine as is? I've got to remove it to get the silicone out from under it.

2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS
6 REPLIES 6

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed all of the silicone around my roof with a piece of wood cut in a wedge and a narrow blade screwdriver. Carefully and slowly. Got to get it all, or the lap sealant won't adhere. This year, I will remove every bit of silicone from the camper and replace with Dicor or Polyseamseal.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
HouseApe wrote:
westend wrote:
I removed all of the trim edging on my roof and all the caulk. I found that 3M caulk remover is a pretty good product. It works much like paint remover in that you need to let the remover soak into the caulk and not evaporate from the surface. It is not detrimental to painted surfaces.

3m Caulk remover

I would suggest to loosen the awning clamps, do your magic behind them, apply new sealant and tighten. I've found that clamps or hardware on spring-loaded mechanisms are to moved carefully and as little as possible. No worries about the clamp pressing on the EPDM, it is actually a good seal.

Is the 3m stuff safe to use on the roof?

My take is that it's OK with EPDM since it has no hydrocarbon solvents but you may wish to contact 3M and get assurance from them.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used this stuff Silicone be Gone but it sounds like it's worth a try.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I removed all of the trim edging on my roof and all the caulk. I found that 3M caulk remover is a pretty good product. It works much like paint remover in that you need to let the remover soak into the caulk and not evaporate from the surface. It is not detrimental to painted surfaces.

3m Caulk remover

I would suggest to loosen the awning clamps, do your magic behind them, apply new sealant and tighten. I've found that clamps or hardware on spring-loaded mechanisms are to moved carefully and as little as possible. No worries about the clamp pressing on the EPDM, it is actually a good seal.

Is the 3m stuff safe to use on the roof?
2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
leave the awning mount there, caulk over it. you'll do more damage removing it. caulkingnremoval is all about patience and a lot of elbow grease.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller

westend
Explorer
Explorer

3m Caulk remover

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton