cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renogy 20A MPPT Controller- electrical/amp question

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
I've been watching the display on the solar controller for a few days now. Our TC is parked at home, not on shore power but is sitting outside with the 3@100 watt solar panels charging the 200Ah deep cycle battery. The only electrical appliance that should be drawing current is the Renogy unit itself. The elec fridge is unplugged, nothing else plugged in, no electronic devices being charged.

At about 1:00 p.m. today I noticed that the display showed that about 0.5A are being drawn...but for what?

The Renogy unit itself uses <100mA (so 0.1A?) as I recall (for lights/display), so I am worried there is a short somewhere.

What can be causing that high usage and is it something to worry about? Does a battery need that much juice during the float stage?

PS It's in the upper 90's here, so maybe that's an issue?
20 REPLIES 20

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
1/2%C would be a normal draw when full. 200Ah would be 1 amp. I call full and normal and probably floating.

Float closer to 13.1-13.3 is plenty in the heat. Does the MPPT have a temp sensor or ambient temp compensation? What is the voltage on the battery terminals?

It's reading 13.3V at 5pm and 96- degrees. That's per the Renogy unit. My hubby can check at the terminals when he gets home.

The controller shows temp, but not sure about compensation.

The battery ad claims a "3% self discharge" rate. They claim 3% per month. Yea, right. That's a 0.2Ah per day discharge. But I am getting ~10 to 12Ah discharge per day. This battery is less than 2 years old.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
your propane detector and any circuit boards in the camper will be drawing power. 1/2 a amp isnt much, but it is why a lot of people used to kill there batteries over the winter when the manufactures started putting parisidic load items into the rv's

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
1/2%C would be a normal draw when full. 200Ah would be 1 amp. I call full and normal and probably floating.

Float closer to 13.1-13.3 is plenty in the heat. Does the MPPT have a temp sensor or ambient temp compensation? What is the voltage on the battery terminals?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are the batteries being charged via the solar panels?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Half an amp isn’t high use IMO. Smoke detector, co2 detector, entertainment center, TV booster etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Smoke and CO detectors?
Thermostat?