cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement radio with NAV and backup camera?

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ has the Bose system but not navigation and most importantly not a backup camera (my wife and I seem to fail to communicate). I have a small slide in truck camper mounted pretty much full time so the camera is important and navigation would be nice.

The local Car Toys recommended Kenwood but I will listen to any suggestions. Willing to spend what is necessary for a good system....especially nav and camera. I suppose I could go with the add on systems but I prefer a "cleaner" solution. Anyone running aftermarket head units?
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide
20 REPLIES 20

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Buy a portable gps and mount a backup camera that can plug into the gps. Much cheaper that way. Garmin makes a variety of units with camera imputs that work slick

went this route. Wireless BC-20 back up camera and Garmin RV760LMT
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought from AudioSavings.com and been pleased with their pricing and service.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Buy a portable gps and mount a backup camera that can plug into the gps. Much cheaper that way. Garmin makes a variety of units with camera imputs that work slick

went this route. Wireless BC-20 back up camera and Garmin RV760LMT
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Pioneer or Kenwood are both great, Alpine is as well but can be a little NON user friendly. Kenwood's GPS is Garmin based and works well.

Crutchfield isn't always cheaper. By the time you add shipping and the installer most likely charging more because you didn't buy from him it'll be a wash.
And if it has to be removed for a warranty issue, they'll charge too I'm sure.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Kenwood in our van that I put in probably 6 years ago. While we don't have a camera, it has the function available. It is a Garmin based Nav which I really liked. We have been very happy with it.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Every aftermarket stereo brand offers a large touch screen interface with backup camera input. I like the Pioneer BT2600. Lots of backup cam options from $15-500. How about a license frame mounted one?

Edit: Sorry, that model no NAV.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
rottidawg wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I have the factory BU camera. It is mounted in the handle of the tailgate.... With a slide in camper, your tailgate is removed, Correct?
No tailgate = no camera.

Correct...I have no factory nav or backup camera and no tailgate. Thus a new head unit with navigation and backup screen with a new wired camera mounted either to the camper or rear bumper.

Or get a license plate camera like this:

TaoTronics TT-CC17.

Mine is hard-wired. I bought 2 4-flat trailer wire combo male+female connectors from Walmart and built a 3 1/2 foot extension cord for when the camper is on. When it is off I remove the extension cord. It's all custom wired with 2 wires going to power and 2 to video, and the connectors are waterproof. The camera is activated via the reverse light, but also wired into an accessory switch so it can be manually turned on via an upfitter switch in the cab. There is a 60V 5A diode between the backup light and the switch so power does not feed back into the light when the switch is turned on.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I have the factory BU camera. It is mounted in the handle of the tailgate.... With a slide in camper, your tailgate is removed, Correct?
No tailgate = no camera.

Correct...I have no factory nav or backup camera and no tailgate. Thus a new head unit with navigation and backup screen with a new wired camera mounted either to the camper or rear bumper.
2008 Harley Street Glide

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Double post
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
double post
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
No tailgate = no camera.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I emailed the Crutchfield "expert advice" line and they came back with the Kenwood DNX571H

Kenwood seems to use the Garmin nav interface which would be a positive and reviews seem good. Interesting point about: "You don't want to sit there waiting for it to go through a long boot up sequence just so you can back up." It would also seem from some reviews to avoid any backup camera that uses wireless remote.
2008 Harley Street Glide

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pioneer AVH series that I got through Crutchfield. I had to get a harness adapter for the Bose amp/speakers and steering wheel controls, installation was a snap. The Pioneer really improved the sound of the Bose system.

Like dodge guy above I got a camera off of Amazon and installed it at the same time.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
dean_and_monica wrote:
Check out Crutchfield.com

+1
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul