cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing 2 of 4 tires on a TT question

Caryite
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 ft TT (7500 GVWR, though I'm not usually over 6K-6.5K lbs) with 4 Maxxis ST205/75R 14 LR C tires (all 4 always at 50 psi per specs).

The front axle had 2 Maxxis from 2012, and the back axle had 2 of the same type from late 2016 (installed early 2017).

This past weekend, I lost one of the 2012's at the very end of a 225 mile trip. Fortunately, I was going very slow at the time after 60 down the interstate for much of the trip, and there was no TT damage other than the tire being flat. I'm now ready to replace that and the other 2012 Maxxi on the other side on the front axle.

My question is after reading the MANY threads here on the newer Good Year Endurance/Carlisle Radial Tires/Maxxis M8008 (now with LR D in my size) is which would make the most sense to get with the back 2 2016 tires, that I don't plan on replacing?

While I would like to get the GY Endurance tires (LR D), would it make sense to get a different set of tires on one axle at 65 psi, and still keep my Maxxis on the other only at 50 psi (LR C)?

I suppose I could always get 2 more of the same LR C Maxxis tires to also inflate to 50 psi to replace the 2 from 2012, and perhaps that would make the towing the most consistent?

I've only traveled 3500 miles on the new 2016 tires and they look perfectly fine, so I'd hate to just scrap those, but overall thoughts are welcome.

All things being equal, I'd be getting the Endurance after reading about those in many threads here, but I want to match the tires as best as possible for the expected life of the 2016 tires.

Maybe my next set of tires after 4-5 years from now can all be the same?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Replace all 4. Take the best of the newest as a spare. You had a blow out on a tire a year beyond reasonable life expentency. Trailer tires regardless of brand are only good for 5 years. After that your playing with a loaded gun.
While not a fan the GoodYear Endurance has been getting good reviews.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with load range "D" tires and I replaced them with load range "E" tires (Maxxis 8008) on both axles. I didn't notice any problems with the load range upgrade. Keep in mind that this does not increase your load rating, it just ensures that your tires are not the weak link. I don't believe that going with the upgraded load range version of either the Maxxis or GY Endurance (they are both great tires) on the same axle will hurt anything. The downside is keeping straight in your mind the difference in inflation specifications between axles as you correctly pointed out.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion only- and not based on anything except my preference and procedure:

I do not like to mess with the hassle and danger and damage caused by flats. And, I do not like to mix tire types....

I would bite the bullet and replace all 4 with the GY Endurance in LRD's and get on down the road.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro