Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Researching Before 1st Purchase

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

Last year I started getting it in my head that I wanted to get a travel trailer, and have been doing a good bit of research. The wife has finally started coming around to the idea, and I'm ramping up my search a bit before she changes her fool mind again.

I'm currently somewhere between a Forest River and Trail Runner for my search. Bunk House model (2 kids plus friends), around 30ft. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 that will be used to pull it, which is why I want to stay on the short side of 30'.

Looking for some feedback on TOTAL cost of ownership. Obviously I know that there is the monthly payment for the trailer itself. However what other costs should I expect to incur on a semi-regular basis, or up front? So far I have figured out:
Monthly payment
Insurance
Registration
Campground fees
Brake kit for truck

What else is there? I know we'll probably have to stock it to get a working pantry and bedding. Not sure we'll want a TV right away. Are there any other vital pieces I need for the trailer operation?

I appreciate any feedback or information you folks could pass on. Wife and I want to make sure we do this right, and don't over or under budget what we want. Looking for a trailer that has some creature-comforts so we don't get pissed and trade it for something bigger in 2 years, but don't need a Class A that could haul around a rock band.

Thanks in advance!

Brad
41 REPLIES 41

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Both our HTT and TT were brand-spankin new and we knew going in that we weren't going to love the depreciation. That said, in a used trailer, you can never be sure how it was maintained. We just felt better with new. Re your weights, if you determine that you have "x" payload, suggest you not even remotely consider filling it to " X minus a couple of pounds". Stuff will migrate in and you'll never notice it. Pretty quickly you can be over your limits. Suggest you allow yourself about 1000# wiggle room. Have you considered a smaller bunkhouse and using a tent for when the kids want to bring a friend? They usually think the tent is very cool and if you can find something you love and knock a few feet of length off, you'll be better. Our TT was a 26', up from a 23 HTT, and we felt that was plenty to tow safely. Best to err on the side of conservative. With this being a first, try not to get in above your skills in towing.

Re costs, remember if you camp 2 - 3 x a month, you'll have the fuel, campground fees, etc. We tended to visit state parks more often and found them more to our liking and less pricey. For winter storage, consider if you want a cover and consider those costs. Not too pricey, but something to add to the list.

Have to say I certainly envy the position you're in right now. We're trailerless for the first time in about 8 years and miss is terribly. Wait until you actually take your shopping list and head out...can't have much more fun that that! Congrats on doing your homework before rather than after purchase...you'd be surprised how often that has happened and had a most unhappy camper. Enjoy!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on the annual Pennsylvania state inspection and the repairs needed because of that inspection.

Plan on 8 MPG, you will never get 10 to 12.

If you cannot or will not do nearly all of the repairs and maintenance, RV'ing becomes very expensive.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Our half ton has towed our 7k pound trailer all over the country without one single mechanical issue. Looks like you have the same tow rating that we have. Your 5.3 will have to rev more than ours, but it will still do the job well.

Second, we bought our first TT new and it was a great experience. We sold it at the 2 year mark and lost $1500. For my entertainment dollar, it was dirt cheap to own.

If you stay on the short side of 30' and understand how to have the proper setup and safe driving habits, you will be fine.

I like your comparison to a week at the Outer Banks. I use the same philosophy. We have friends that blow our entire years camping budget on one week somewhere. We average about 60-80 nights a year of vacation with the camper.

We were also considering buying a weekend cabin, but this has worked out so much better. Probably cheaper, and best of all it is MOBILE! I can't tell you the different views I've woken up and had my coffee to! It's really been incredible. ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck in your shopping.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:
"We bought a Keystone 2920BH for us and our daughter. I had a 2013 F-150 3.5 ecoboost and towing package."

That was your first mistake...Ford... Just kiddin.. But, I have heard on other forums (Ram) similar issues with the Ecoboost in particular. Of course there is a bias on the Ram forum, but these were people who got rid of them and went Ram. You can only make a small engine do so much saying it is everything to everyone and almost as capable as a diesel. The tire and seal issues hmmm. Strange. That supposedly is well within the range of the Ecoboost.

Please take it to the Tow Vehicle forum where this nonsense is common and will fit right in... not needed here!
I love me some land yachting

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but you have to disregard that "11,200" tow rating. It's complete bunk, marketing BS. With a 1/2 ton truck, I personally wouldn't go over a 30' TT, and no more than 7K pounds fully loaded (dry weight ~6K pounds).

Visit a state or RV park and look at the size of TT and what everyone uses to tow them. You won't see many 1/2 tons towing large TT's. And 30' is a large TT.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"We bought a Keystone 2920BH for us and our daughter. I had a 2013 F-150 3.5 ecoboost and towing package."

That was your first mistake...Ford... Just kiddin.. But, I have heard on other forums (Ram) similar issues with the Ecoboost in particular. Of course there is a bias on the Ram forum, but these were people who got rid of them and went Ram. You can only make a small engine do so much saying it is everything to everyone and almost as capable as a diesel. The tire and seal issues hmmm. Strange. That supposedly is well within the range of the Ecoboost.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding accessories you will need to buy for your TT if you buy new, budget about $1500- 2000 if you do it right and go camping well equipped
good sewer hose and support brackets..15 ft
white water hose..50 ft
water hose for cleaning sewer hose-25 ft
good wheel chocks- 4
2 sets of 10 Lynx levelers ( total 20)for under stabilizer jacks and tongue jack
stabilizing bars to steady TT from rocking- two
weight distributing hitch ( $500)
small step ladder to get to roof
soft top mattress topper
3 ft level
slide lube, white lithium grease for stabilizing jacks
small multi purpose tool box and tools
multi purpose power regulator/surge protector-- ( $250)
battery or propane lanterns for picnic table
in line water filter for outside water source
small decorative lamps for inside
fridge and cabinet brackets to keep food and cabinet items from shifting
RV GPS ( Garmin) $300
hitch security lock
25 ft 30 amp extension cord
bug screens for fridge, water heater and furnace outside vents
bedding, sheets, pillows
flat screen TV if it doesn't have one to entertain the kids
outdoor mat to keep from tracking in dirt
plastic picnic tablecloth and clips
several outdoor folding camping chairs
flashlights
TT cover for off season to keep it looking nice and from fading ($250)
tire covers to keep sun from damaging tires in storage and long term camping
AND SEVERAL MORE I'M SURE I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW!

AMAZON is a great source of camping accessories at the best prices and in the comfort of your home.. Every item has hundreds of customer reviews so you know what is needed and what is junk. That is where I learned what I needed without finding out on the road. Scroll through the camping accessories section and you will learn a lot and be better prepared the first time you go!
Good luck and Happy Camping!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Otherwise everything but a 150# driver and a full tank of gas counts toward that payload.

This is wrong. Everything added to the vehicle, outside of full fluids, counts towards payload. Including the drivers full weight.

There is a common confusion about 150lbs included for the driver. A weight allowance for the driver (and also a passenger using the new SAE standard) is used for calculating the TOW rating, not the payload.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my first hand experience in regard to a new versus used and a half ton truck. I spent a year watching this forum before purchasing. I read everything people had to say about trucks, trailers and weight. My wife and I purchased our first TT last year. We went with new because of price, interest, and warranty. We bought a Keystone 2920BH for us and our daughter. I had a 2013 F-150 3.5 ecoboost and towing package. The trailer is 5385 empty and 1815 carrying capacity. Technically according to Ford, the sticker on the door, and the dealership, the truck was well within limits. It's a pretty light trailer.

Our first trip was out west to Yellowstone, 1400 miles each way. The gas mileage averaged 10mpg over the whole trip. (Not Bad) It chewed up the right hand drive tire, wore out the left rear tire almost as bad, and had to have an axle seal replaced after I got back (under warranty).

Going down the mountain was absolutely the worst part of the entire trip. The engine braking was insufficient and I had to use the breaks a lot to slow the trailer down the Big Horn mountain range. The trailer handled great but the truck sagged in the rear even with a weight distribution hitch. All in all buying the trailer was a great decision. We loved the trailer and the campgrounds. Every one we meet were friendly and glad to help or answer any questions we had.

That said we have a trip to Maine in June and Disney in the fall already planned and booked. But I now have a new F-250 with the 6.2l V8 to carry my family and the trailer around the country. In my opinion safety and feeling comfortable are most important. It's hard to enjoy the journey if you are "white knuckling it" the whole trip. If your tow vehicle is right at its limits or close to it go bigger. 30 ft is a lot of trailer for a half ton.

Again my opinion and experience.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI

westend
Explorer
Explorer
So, the more I think about it, I'm not sure that I want to go used. I don't know enough about these to trust that I would be making a good purchase, and getting an RV that won't take a lot of money out of me on upkeep. I understand that new is more expensive, however it comes with a warranty, and should come from a reputable dealer. Will still poke around for any used at a dealer, not sure if they certify or warranty them, but will still remain open to that
There is nothing that costly for upkeep of an RV. New Rv's need repair and maintenance also.

If you are counting on a dealer to fix all of the loose screws and various warranty items, your RV will be at the dealer's lot more than at your disposal.

I'd suggest to at least look at private party used sales RV's once you have crunched the numbers. There are many good deals out there and you will be spending less in difference from new to have someone else maintain your RV for it's entire life.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Happy wife, happy life! I'm with you on that. And I do love buying shiny new accessories!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you have one you will get bit by the bug and want to buy things to personalize it and improve your camping experience. Those items will cost from a little to a lot depending on how well you are at controlling yourself from buying every new, shiny, camping accessory, you see.

Also, to keep the wife happy you may have to change some things. For example a lot of people do not like the factory mattress that comes in campers. ( I am OK with mine but, I do see people here complain about theirs a lot)

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
So, the more I think about it, I'm not sure that I want to go used. I don't know enough about these to trust that I would be making a good purchase, and getting an RV that won't take a lot of money out of me on upkeep. I understand that new is more expensive, however it comes with a warranty, and should come from a reputable dealer. Will still poke around for any used at a dealer, not sure if they certify or warranty them, but will still remain open to that

Yeah, mileage will suck, but such is life. I get about 20 highway now, I expect that to be cut by 1/3 to 1/2. Looking at the math, an RV will cost me slightly more a year than a week at the Outer Banks, however, I can use it a lot more often, so looking at that it makes sense to me. Plus...it will be worth it to get the kids out of the damned house, away from Mario Brothers and into the woods. Can't put a cost on that.

Keep the advice coming, I'm trying to sponge up as much as possible! Like I said, I've been researching, but really only looking at dealer websites and staring at the options. Now I have to start putting on the reality hat and figure out what this will cost me in money AND time ๐Ÿ™‚ Fun stuff

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good that you're doing your research and asking all the questions first.
There have been good points regarding your truck....yes, check your Payload availability and base your trailer purchase on that...not the "tow rating" As for weight distribution hitches and truck wiring/brake controller, get that thrown in as part of the deal if buying new...that's what I did.

As for the experiences you and your family are going to have.....PRICELESS!
We bought our first trailer in '07 when our boys were 14, 12, and 9. We did many long trips and to this day we still talk and laugh about all the fun we had. Just takes a DVD of pics from those trips to be tossed in the machine and we're all gathered around re-living every trip.

To put the cost into perspective, our last big trip was a 6 week 11000 Km adventure out East and back. All told, with food, fuel, camping fees, entertainment costs (theme parks) it cost us $5500CAN....we couldn't even fly and stay in Hawaii for a week for that, not to mention all the memories we have.

As far as maintenance on the trailer, don't be alarmed....none of it is rocket science. You will be amazed at how easy it actually is...you're right, youtube is your friend.

All the best with your trailer search, and look forward to all the good times.

Mike
BTW, all three of our boys still love to come camping with us when their schedules allow. In fact, the oldest, who's 24 now, asked a month or so ago, "So, when's the next road-trip?"
Gotta' love it ๐Ÿ™‚

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
bid_time wrote:
- Maintenance, inspect and recaulk the roof every year, wash and wax, general fixes, anti-freeze for winterization, chlorine for sterilizing, rubber gloves for dumping, black water hose, fresh water hose, etc.,, etc., etc.
- Storage fees?
- Additional gas for the tow vehicle (you can figure you will get no more than 210 mpg).

All in all, owning a RV is not cheaper than staying in a hotel, it's just different. They won't let you roast marshmallows over a campfire in the lobby of the hotel.

If one gets 210mpg it shouldn't be to expensive owning an RV!!! Lol

Plan on maybe 10-12mpg!!!
Good Catch, fat fingers - fixed it.