cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof carrying

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what you guys dud for extra storage on the roof. I have a lance 845. Not sure if my railing is suitable for carrying stuff or if there is something less expensive than the yakima stuff.
15 REPLIES 15

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:

I use a knotted 8mm cord and just yard them up. The cord has a knot every foot for grip. I just stand on the roof with the line hooked to the bow cleat and pull them up and over the rear awning and onto the cross bars

Well more power to ya LOL, I guess with a TC no other choice. I sure as hell am not interested in doing that. Those Revos are nice boats by the way, I had a 13.5 which my son appropriated awhile ago, as in borrowed and never returned appropriated LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I carry two kayaks up there all the time. I don't notice any change in the sway of the rig at all.

Wow........I have 2 Wilderness systems rigs, a 10 and a 12 set up for bass fishing. I have a bear of a time getting them on top of the cab high cap on my 15 GMC 2500 by myself, and they're about the lightest around in a sit on top boat.

How do you get them up there?

I use a knotted 8mm cord and just yard them up. The cord has a knot every foot for grip. I just stand on the roof with the line hooked to the bow cleat and pull them up and over the rear awning and onto the cross bars

Hobie Revo 11 and Revo 13

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas!

I am mostly looking to haul my kayak or canoe up there.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
I Use unistrut cross bars

And aluminum channel

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry 16' canoe on the roof just fine.
With center bar removed, the canoe fits over AC unit and I made a front bracket with 2 lag bolts thru the ceiling at skylight frame.
Rear has 2x4 sitting on the railing with Thule brackets.
Here is picture of the canoe on the ground. With foam sleeves on rear camper bars, I just put the canoe on its nose, ask DW to hold it while I climb on the roof and just pull the canoe up.
With this camper it was making over 13' tall, so what?

Click For Full-Size Image.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
I carry two kayaks up there all the time. I don't notice any change in the sway of the rig at all.

Wow........I have 2 Wilderness systems rigs, a 10 and a 12 set up for bass fishing. I have a bear of a time getting them on top of the cab high cap on my 15 GMC 2500 by myself, and they're about the lightest around in a sit on top boat.

How do you get them up there?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

armond05
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy used Thule LB96 load bars to secure two kayaks.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Get some superstruts at lowes/HD and build your own rack. Hope you are not afraid of heights! I carry all kinds of stuff on my roof but it is not for the faint of heart being up there.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
There is nothing I would want haul up to and down from the roof. This will be 11+ feet in the air plus potentially add additional height to your camper.

And raise your center of gravity if what you want to put up there has any significant weight.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, it's a pain. Although I do carry little stuff up there like BBQ and lawn chairs. Stuff I can bungee to a rail. Ours has a u shaped rail at the back.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
There is nothing I would want haul up to and down from the roof. This will be 11+ feet in the air plus potentially add additional height to your camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's got the big fat round rail on each side with a front middle and rear support its rated for 165 pounds. look on craigs list for cargo boxes.

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
A number of manufacturers make soft bags that are designed to travel on factory roof rails, much less expensive than hard cases. We have a crew cab; that's where our stuff goes, but nobody (but us) calls it a "stuff cab". Easy to access, and almost as importantly, drives our centre of gravity low and forward. We carry a canoe on top, but it's awkward to access at the best of times.