cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof ladder, yes or no?

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a new white hawk and I am on the fence if I should add a factory ladder, price isn't an issue, I'm concerned about adding holes to the roof and the siding for the ladder mounts, I think it would be useful to be able to get up on the roof to clean off the top of my slides before retracting. Just not sure if it's worth it subjecting the trailer to possible leaks... I am also considering one of the telescoping ladders to put in storage, but storage is going to be limited on my new trailer...
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH
33 REPLIES 33

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I vote no. A vertical ladder just isn't safe compared to a portable extension ladder. An extension ladder should be at an angle based on the 4 to 1 rule - 1 foot out for every 4' in height and should be min. 3' above the roof. OSHA ladder safety- same in Canada. Falls from ladders are a leading cause of worker injuries from mild to death and doesn't have to be a tall ladder to get seriously injured. Same with homeowners too. I fell off a 6' stepladder 20 years and still have hip pain and can't sleep on one side. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to climb up to the roof on a fixed vertical RV ladder and get yourself over and onto the roof surface - worse going down too. Do RV ladders have an ANSI duty/safety rating or is it from RVIA?

Consider safety first. Use a quality extension ladder. The only time I use ours is for cleaning and putting the cover on which gets done at home. DW works at our workers comp. board (WorksafeBC) and she won't even let me use a step stool without a hardhat and fall restraint. 😞 Having said the above, a factory ladder on an RV is great for hanging a tote tank, bike. etc. 🙂

The reason for the 4 to 1 rule has nothing to do with safety of vertical vs angle, it has to do with the safety of the 'non-fixed' ladder falling backwards if the angle is too steep. A fixed vertical ladder is always safer then a non-fixed ladder of ANY angle. You forget to mention possible side to side issues with an extension ladder, or the fact that a telescoping ladder is NOT the same as an ANSI rated extension ladder.

I would always trust a fixed ladder to a non-fixed ladder. That being said, you made some valid points about the actual safety rating of the fixed ladder... they are clearly not designed or load tested to the same standards as a proper extension ladder.

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks for all the tips and advice, not many complaints about leaks, more people seem to prefer the factory installed ladder, so I'm going to give it a go... Called the dealer today and had them include it on my order.
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
I have been up and down my ladder at least a hundred times and it is as safe as any other ladder, as long as you use two hands.

Same here but maybe 200 times it seems. My industrial training always said 3 points of contact at ALL times. Pull any tools or other stuff up with a bucket and rope.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
daveor wrote:
RV daytrader wrote:
Telescoping ladder easier to climb as it is at an angle, NOT straight up like a mounted ladder. Check your slide topper??..Would you rather place telescoping ladder next to the slide and climb up 5 rungs to check or clean topper OR climb up rear mounted ladder up to the roof, walk over to slide area to check or clean, walk back across roof to rear ladder and climb back down? My telescoping ladder takes up 4 inches of my closet space.
Can I ask what kind of ladder you have that only takes up 4inches.. thought about putting a ladder on mine too,, but not thrilled about more holes either.

It is a 10 foot telescoping ladder...about 29" high when closed, 18" wide...the thickness is about 4"...my closet is about 19" deep, so it stands against the side wall with a bungie cord holding it in place.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

daveor
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
Telescoping ladder easier to climb as it is at an angle, NOT straight up like a mounted ladder. Check your slide topper??..Would you rather place telescoping ladder next to the slide and climb up 5 rungs to check or clean topper OR climb up rear mounted ladder up to the roof, walk over to slide area to check or clean, walk back across roof to rear ladder and climb back down? My telescoping ladder takes up 4 inches of my closet space.
Can I ask what kind of ladder you have that only takes up 4inches.. thought about putting a ladder on mine too,, but not thrilled about more holes either.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
How about getting the factory attached ladder and carrying a collapsible for when it makes more sense.

It's just as unsafe climbing down a step ladder that's not above the roof line as any installed ladder. The mounted ladder is just that, solid and has handholds to grab on to.

A step ladder or extension ladder can move on you as your descending. I've always had a factory mounted ladder on all my RV's.

I feel much safer with it especially if the roof is wet. I see valid points for both. Wireman

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The safety factor of climbing a vertical ladder should be something considered by the RV owner. If you are nimble and don't have joint problems or arthritis, climbing the ladder on back of a trailer or motor home isn't a problem. But there are certainly a lot of folks out there that would be wiser to use a step ladder or collapsible ladder that is easier to climb due to the angle. You have to know what is best for you!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have been up and down my ladder at least a hundred times and it is as safe as any other ladder, as long as you use two hands.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
They are handy to have when out in the boonies and you didn't bring a ladder..I mostly use ours to haul our chairs or to secure something on the cargo carrier.

There are so many reasons to have one other than using as a ladder, which it works fine for,especially that time you need on the roof in an out of the way place for snow or needle removal off the roof or slide.

Wouldn't be without one..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote no. A vertical ladder just isn't safe compared to a portable extension ladder. An extension ladder should be at an angle based on the 4 to 1 rule - 1 foot out for every 4' in height and should be min. 3' above the roof. OSHA ladder safety- same in Canada. Falls from ladders are a leading cause of worker injuries from mild to death and doesn't have to be a tall ladder to get seriously injured. Same with homeowners too. I fell off a 6' stepladder 20 years and still have hip pain and can't sleep on one side. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to climb up to the roof on a fixed vertical RV ladder and get yourself over and onto the roof surface - worse going down too. Do RV ladders have an ANSI duty/safety rating or is it from RVIA?

Consider safety first. Use a quality extension ladder. The only time I use ours is for cleaning and putting the cover on which gets done at home. DW works at our workers comp. board (WorksafeBC) and she won't even let me use a step stool without a hardhat and fall restraint. 😞 Having said the above, a factory ladder on an RV is great for hanging a tote tank, bike. etc. 🙂

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 4 TT's over the years and all but one (the first) had ladders. Don't think I'd buy one now without it. If there's a chance a branches might have fallen on the roof during a trip it's so easy to shoot up there and just sweep it off. It's even easier to send one of the kids ;).

Not to mention the side benefit of having a full time, built in towel rack!
2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My Dutchmen Lite does not have a ladder and the factory advised not walking on the roof unless I lay plywood down first.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a telescoping ladder because my TT didn't come with one. I wish it did, though. I say add it.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for get it. A collapsible is easier to climb, yes, and movable to the point you need to access. It has its merits. A mounted ladder is convenient, as long as you are nimble enough to use it. I am on my roof at least 6 times a year. We were in a campground and had a small branch come down on my roof during a bad storm and poked a dime sized hole in the membrane I got up there and fixed it as soon as the rain stopped. Always carry some Eternabond tape. I used the mounted ladder. At another CG I had to replace a vent cover. I don't have one of those fancy collapsible ladders. Too expensive to justify the expense for me. My folding ladder from home is too much needless weight to justify taking it with us. SO.....as you can see there are pro's and con's to each one.